Page 1 of 5
i've been watching the news for a few days now and a lot of the stations have been talking about how jesse jackson called barack obama the n word.

what's your opinion on this word? as for me, i think it's a disgusting word, but i don't get offended when other black people use it. as someone who's not black, i don't feel like it's my right to tell other black people that they can or can't use the word. i think the word is off limits too virtually everyone else though.

your thoughts?
you can't win dealing with a hot-button word like that. just avoid it and ignore it.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
I had a thread about this, on how CBS allowed him to say "nigga" on national tv, but they blocked out "nuts"

Also, he DID in fact say nuts after he was talking about Obama, and the n word was used in a different story about something 2 years ago
I use it all the time with my friends as a term of endearment, we're not black either.

It's just word, I don't get offended when people say "cracker," or "towel head," or "savage" or anything else that some rednecks in a backwater swamp thought of.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
you're better off not using it, ask kramer.
I think therefore I shred.

My Gear:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Ibanez VBT700
Fernandes Vertigo Elite
Ovation Celebrity Deluxe
Digitech GNX 4
Quote by Pumpkins4Life
you're better off not using it, ask kramer.

Yet no word was said about the two douche bags in the audience he was talking to.

"Shut yo' mouth, cracka!"

Gotta love the double standards.
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Quote by shreddin_frets
I had a thread about this, on how CBS allowed him to say "nigga" on national tv, but they blocked out "nuts"

Also, he DID in fact say nuts after he was talking about Obama, and the n word was used in a different story about something 2 years ago

+1
Its interesting, the n-word has entered black vernacular as a neutral synonym for "person" or "man."

In the way that I, a liberal, suburban, white teenager, might say "Hey man, cool it." An urban black youth might say, "Yo nigga', chill out."

There are no racial or negative connotations intended in the usage, they happen however to be connected to old definitions which do hold those connotations.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
I personally could care less when people use it. Sure, it's wrong, or whatever. The thing is, though, that when a race that gets called a term for years because they are seen as inferior work hard to get rid of that discrimination (or a good deal of it) and then just start throwing it around in a way that says "yeah, it was bad, but we obviously don't care".

I hate double-standard **** like this. Elitist morals are dragging society down the ****ter with politcal correctness. I'm not saying be "cool" like Carlos Mencia or Richard Pryor, or whatever, (Mencia is a twat) but PC deserves to rot.

Back to the issue, though, I think that there is no reason some people can say it and others can't. They aren't better than us nor do they have the right to use words they say others can't, just like we aren't better than them and can use words (or water fountains, ZING!) they can't.

I say it from time to time. I never mean it. Go ahead and chew me out, I don't care. The point is I don't mean it. I should stop, and I try to say it less as a start. People generally know the difference between someone being an ass and someone being a hateful ****. If they can't, tough ****.

Honestly, it's just a word. People should grow up, seriously.
I was an Internet Witness in the mike.h Murder Case.
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
I use it to refer to ass-holes of all races. Everyone around me's used to it.
We've drained full confession booths, polluted drinking wells with our repentances, and then stood grinning with our arms around the shoulder of a rotting child.

If you resist change, you will be here forever.
i cant say it =P
i've read to kill a mockingbird too many times
Quotes from other UGers in your signatures that talk about how good you are suck donkey schlong.
Black people usually don't use the word as a derogatory term. They usually use it in the same way a white person uses the word "Dude".

"Dude, I'm hungry."
"Nigga, I'm hongry."
Quote by codenameduby
It could be worse. He could have said 'porch monkey'

i thought we were bringing it back? ...

My mind is going. I can feel it.
Quote by Colgate Total
Yet no word was said about the two douche bags in the audience he was talking to.

"Shut yo' mouth, cracka!"

Gotta love the double standards.

of course it's a double standard, it's completely different. i don't want to get into an argument about it though, because i'm sure someone else will and i don't like being that guy. but just know that you're an ignorant twat. kbi
Quote by Chris_Parker
Honestly, it's just a word. People should grow up, seriously.

what word do you think emmett till heard over and over again before he died?

it's not "just a word" as you say. there's probably no word in the english language with as much hate and pain in it. if you can find one worse than this, i would sure like to see.
Yeah the double standard sucks but its better than having generations of my family enslaved. Compared to what they went through a double standard is nothing.
I think therefore I shred.

My Gear:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Ibanez VBT700
Fernandes Vertigo Elite
Ovation Celebrity Deluxe
Digitech GNX 4
Quote by leafy
i cant say it =P
i've read to kill a mockingbird too many times

Atticus Finch is my hero.
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
A double standard.

Nigger is blocked out on this forum.

Cracker isn't.

You can insult the man, the Mexican, and the Asian, but you can't touch the Blacks and the Women.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Quote by Arthur Curry
of course it's a double standard, it's completely different. i don't want to get into an argument about it though, because i'm sure someone else will and i don't like being that guy. but just know that you're an ignorant twat. kbi

Grow up.

I didn't realize we regressed back into the second grade. Insults are never the way to go.
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

I don't really know, just because no other racial slur has as bad a reputation as the N word. I mean "cracker"? Any white person who gets offended by that just needs to take the big dick out of their ass and stop being such a little pansy. I guess the reason it's such an iffy word is because it really degrades black people and gives a sense of inferiority which isn't fair.

(a little off topic) That being said, i'm going to take a stand against affirmative action. I have nothing against equality, but you all know the arguments against it, I happen to agree with them. I believe that slave-owners are all paying for it now by burning in hell. I'm Atheist, so I don't believe in Hell, but the slave-owners did, so they can burn all they want.

/rant
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Epiphone Hummingbird (FS!!)
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100
Reggae Bass Covers mahn!!!

Quote by W0576680
Black people usually don't use the word as a derogatory term. They usually use it in the same way a white person uses the word "Dude".

"Dude, I'm hungry."
"Nigga, I'm hongry."

I see what you did there.
How is it different at all? It's no different than calling someone an asshole, a douchebag, or a poopie head.

It's just a word people flip out over. That doesn't justify using it, but it's not like it's burned into your concience or something.

Honestly, if "nigga" and "cracka" are the same term used for different races. Personally, I think we should all listen to Sly and the Family Stone. "Don't call me whitey, nigga/don't call me nigga, whitey", etc., etc.
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
Quote by Mudmen190
Its a word that means black. People need to grow the **** up.

It does? Because I know that negro means black, if that's what you mean....
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Epiphone Hummingbird (FS!!)
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100
Reggae Bass Covers mahn!!!

Quote by Weeping_Demon7
A double standard.

Nigger is blocked out on this forum.

Cracker isn't.

You can insult the man, the Mexican, and the Asian, but you can't touch the Blacks and the Women.

You forget, "cracker" doesn't just mean a racist term for a white guy. It's also a food product. For example, "cracker with cheese."

"Nigger with cheese" just doesn't sound as appetizing...
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
"Nigger with cheese" just doesn't sound as appetizing...there's joke in there somewhere.

... but i wouldn't touch it with a ten-foot alligator.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.

"Nigger with cheese" just doesn't sound as appetizing...

One of few quotes I've seen that deserves a "you ****ing rock" post. But not from me, sorry hahaha

Nevermind...

GUNPOWDER YOU FUCKING ROCK!

But yeah, I think it's stupid. It all relates to when people say "oh, we just want equality". Bull****. No one wants to be equal. Everyone wants some sort of edge or one-up. Something unique to them. This is why there is the obligation to hire a potential employee if that employee-to-be happens to be a minority.

I'm really tired of people who get all up in arms about this, not those who do this. It's fairly understandable. Annoying, but you can see where someone is coming from most times.
Quote by Pauldapro
Quote by Chris_Parker
Personally, I think we should all listen to Sly and the Family Stone. "Don't call me whitey, nigga/don't call me nigga, whitey", etc., etc.

*is*

good stuff, man.
Quote by snipelfritz
*is*

good stuff, man.

High five!

*extends arm*
Quote by Pauldapro
Quote by Chris_Parker
High five!

*extends arm*

*hits that*

Its rare that I listen to Sly & The Fam, but I'm always super glad when I do. I Want To Take You Higher is a mad track. No lies.
Quote by stinger12345
I don't really know, just because no other racial slur has as bad a reputation as the N word. I mean "cracker"? Any white person who gets offended by that just needs to take the big dick out of their ass and stop being such a little pansy. I guess the reason it's such an iffy word is because it really degrades black people and gives a sense of inferiority which isn't fair.
/rant

Yet when you hear two black people talking together: "Nicka say what!?!?" "Nicka palese!"

Degrading my ass, just another way to exploit that damn chip on their shoulder.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Quote by Weeping_Demon7
Yet when you hear two black people talking together: "Nicka say what!?!?" "Nicka palese!"

Degrading my ass, just another way to exploit that damn chip on their shoulder.

Even I was on the "it's okay" side, but do not go there...
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

It's a damn word, get over it. None of the "swear" words are really bad, they're just words like everything else in my post.
Page 1 of 5