Page 1 of 2
Well, I've been thinking a lot of late. I am 16-years-old and have been playing guitar for approximately a 1+1/4 years. At this stage, I'm not anything special, but I've gotten basics down and I can hold my own(if you would). And I've been thinking, I can't really see myself living a life with a steady job in an office or anything related.

I want to do something in my life music related. I'm not talking about being a famous musician and being loved by millions, but I know that I enjoy playing/writing music, and writing lyrics that sometime in my life, I want my life be focused around it.

But I feel that it's too late. I have some friends whose been playing for about 3 years now, and they are something special, especially the guitarist, who is just unreal. I just came back a couple of hours ago from jamming with them, the guitarist, his brother(who is unbelievable at bass) and his and our good friend, an amazing drummer.

Now, they know what they're doing and have been working towards it for a while. But, I guess what I'm trying to ask is, 'is it too late for me to even consider being a musician of sorts'?

It may sound ridiculous, but I would like some real opinions and advice as I'm not particularly good at anything else in my life(I'm not down about it, I've just come to terms with it :P), and I want to know if I should try to do this....

tl;dr: Read the bold.
Quote by Teh Forest King
A kid took a fetal pig during pig dissection, put a napkin on it as a cape, wrote "super pig" on it, then threw it out the window onto the greenhouse below, yelling "super pig, blast off!". He failed the pig lab
Not at all. Ive just recently decided I want to be a musician, and Im pretty hellbent on making it my life.
It's NEVER TOO LAAAATE.

If you've listened to one of the songs in my profile, you'll get it.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
I don't remember who it is, but he's a professionals guitarist in a huge signed band and he picked up the guitar when he was 23.
Feed your mind.
Eric Clapton was 15 when he started playing; look how he turned out. As long as you've got focus, man, you can do well for yourself; just make sure you have a backup job to fall back on.
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
NEVER too late to be a musician. you just gotta know what to learn and practice.
Quote by Gunpowder
Eric Clapton was 15 when he started playing; look how he turned out. As long as you've got focus, man, you can do well for yourself; just make sure you have a backup job to fall back on.

Listen to Gunpowder, from what I've seen of him on the forums he knows his stuff.
Feed your mind.
Practice....practice....PRACTICE!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's never too late. Besides, it can be other music-related things like composing, producing, teaching, whatever later on in life. And yeah, 16 is still very young. I'm 16, i have friends that are great guitarists too, one of them is in a band and they play locally and he's a lot better than me. Well, both of them. It doesn't mean I'm gonna give up, it justs inspires me more to be better.

Don't fret..........hahaha
Quote by SOADrox429
'Bring me the still-beating heart of a newborn child, and the world's rivers shall run red with the blood of the innocent.'

<\/> Fleshgod Apocalypse <\/>
sam totman has been only playing guitar for 4 or 5 years and hes in dragonforce.......so im sure you can do it
Quote by Gunpowder

15? woow i have something in common with Eric Clapton
I don't see how age has anything to do with it. As long as you are determined about your dream and practice everyday you will be on your way towards your goal. Just play everyday and focus. Just becasue your freinds are good now doesn't mean you won't eclipse them. Gregg Ginn of Black Flagg, a ****ing awesome guitarist didn't start until he was 20. Glenn Tipton of Judas Priest didn't pick up an axe until he was like 21, and he is a God.

Don't be discouraged.
Yeah, I've actually learned a fair amount from him, but it just kind of keeps me down because I feel like I may never get as good as him.

At the same time though, I remind myself that over a year ago I had no idea how to play, and I'm told a lot that for only playing for a year, I'm quite good.

Also, follow up question while I have a thread going. What is a good way to practice? I often just pick up my guitar in boredom or in desire to play it and just start playing random songs or chords. I don't think this a proper way to get good and I often feel that I'm not helping myself <__< .
Quote by Teh Forest King
A kid took a fetal pig during pig dissection, put a napkin on it as a cape, wrote "super pig" on it, then threw it out the window onto the greenhouse below, yelling "super pig, blast off!". He failed the pig lab
In two years time, you could be crazy at guitar.

My friend started playing when he was 14. He's 16 now, and is the best guitarist I know by far.

I also want to become a musician.
Johnny Ramone picked the guitar when he was 25. he wasn't a virtuoso, but he made a living out of it.
YOU WILL NOT ESCAPE FROM THE DOOM DOOM DOOM

My Equipment:
Schecter Omen FR
Fender Frontman 25
Digitech Distortion Factory
Quote by Just Andrew
Yeah, I've actually learned a fair amount from him, but it just kind of keeps me down because I feel like I may never get as good as him.

At the same time though, I remind myself that over a year ago I had no idea how to play, and I'm told a lot that for only playing for a year, I'm quite good.

Also, follow up question while I have a thread going. What is a good way to practice? I often just pick up my guitar in boredom or in desire to play it and just start playing random songs or chords. I don't think this a proper way to get good and I often feel that I'm not helping myself <__< .

I'm sure loads of people will disagree with me, but just playing songs and just doing improv can help. You could also always just go up and down scales yadah yadah. I'd suggest trying to listen to some of your favorite guitarists, and seeing if you can figure out their licks by ear. Music theory study is also extremely helpful.
Feed your mind.
Quote by Firebread
I'm sure loads of people will disagree with me, but just playing songs and just doing improv can help. You could also always just go up and down scales yadah yadah. I'd suggest trying to listen to some of your favorite guitarists, and seeing if you can figure out their licks by ear. Music theory study is also extremely helpful.
Ahh, theory, yeah, that's something I only have a fairly basic understanding of. I gained some knowledge from playing trumpet for 7 years.

I do plan, however, to take theory in school next year and the year after that, so, I do feel like I'm actually focusing on becoming a musician.
Quote by Teh Forest King
Have a look at some Music Theory books.
If you have limited knowledge of theory, have a look at purchasing a "Music Theory Grade 1" or "2" book.

They help heeaaps.
Quote by Just Andrew
Ahh, theory, yeah, that's something I only have a fairly basic understanding of. I gained some knowledge from playing trumpet for 7 years.

I do plan, however, to take theory in school next year and the year after that, so, I do feel like I'm actually focusing on becoming a musician.

Theory's very important. An understanding of why the things you play sound good will translate to your own playing. I personally study a lot of theory, it's been my main focus for the past 4 months, and it helps quite a bit.
Feed your mind.
Dude, idf you donlt get lessons, go and find a good teacher with University qauliofications to teach yopu theory and technique, and then work toward studying guitar at uni, not only will you be a very prioficinet player by the time your done, but you will ve all sort of oppurtunites as a sideman, studio muso, and/or as an artist in your own right. That's my advice, donl;t worry aboutmyoyur freinds, Hendrix was considered average in his neighbourhood, given a few years on the road and a trip to england, he became the greatest guitarist of all time, and he didn't get his break until he was 24, so don't worry too much. Just practice like hell, and feel what you play, and you will be great I am sure.
Quote by GHOST_OF_WAR
sam totman has been only playing guitar for 4 or 5 years and hes in dragonforce.......so im sure you can do it

he's been playing classical since he was 9.
Quote by HendrixClaptonP
Dude, idf you donlt get lessons, go and find a good teacher with University qauliofications to teach yopu theory and technique, and then work toward studying guitar at uni, not only will you be a very prioficinet player by the time your done, but you will ve all sort of oppurtunites as a sideman, studio muso, and/or as an artist in your own right. That's my advice, donl;t worry aboutmyoyur freinds, Hendrix was considered average in his neighbourhood, given a few years on the road and a trip to england, he became the greatest guitarist of all time, and he didn't get his break until he was 24, so don't worry too much. Just practice like hell, and feel what you play, and you will be great I am sure.

After he flunked out of school he practiced almost every waking moment though.
Feed your mind.
Quote by Just Andrew
Well, I've been thinking a lot of late. I am 16-years-old and have been playing guitar for approximately a 1+1/4 years. At this stage, I'm not anything special, but I've gotten basics down and I can hold my own(if you would). And I've been thinking, I can't really see myself living a life with a steady job in an office or anything related.

I want to do something in my life music related. I'm not talking about being a famous musician and being loved by millions, but I know that I enjoy playing/writing music, and writing lyrics that sometime in my life, I want my life be focused around it.

But I feel that it's too late. I have some friends whose been playing for about 3 years now, and they are something special, especially the guitarist, who is just unreal. I just came back a couple of hours ago from jamming with them, the guitarist, his brother(who is unbelievable at bass) and his and our good friend, an amazing drummer.

Now, they know what they're doing and have been working towards it for a while. But, I guess what I'm trying to ask is, 'is it too late for me to even consider being a musician of sorts'?

It may sound ridiculous, but I would like some real opinions and advice as I'm not particularly good at anything else in my life(I'm not down about it, I've just come to terms with it :P), and I want to know if I should try to do this....

tl;dr: Read the bold.

I didn't start playing until I was like 19. I'm 23, now. You can check out my myspace and/or UG profile to hear my songs if you want. I think I've progressed pretty damn well. I'm at a point now where I'm writing the lyrics, writing the music, playing, singing, recording, and mixing all of the parts to each one of my songs. One thing that'll happen is, as you learn more, you'll start to look at those people you once thought were unreal and realize that they're not as godly as you used to think. Keep playing, dude. Don't stop.
Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light
Quote by BigFatSandwich
I didn't start playing until I was like 19. I'm 23, now. You can check out my myspace and/or UG profile to hear my songs if you want. I think I've progressed pretty damn well. I'm at a point now where I'm writing the lyrics, writing the music, playing, singing, recording, and mixing all of the parts to each one of my songs. One thing that'll happen is, as you learn more, you'll start to look at those people you once thought were unreal and realize that they're not as godly as you used to think. Keep playing, dude. Don't stop.

Ya, becoming better does take some of the magic out of listening to other artists. However with people like Hendrix, I went from thinking he was god, to thinking he was good, to thinking he wasn't as amazing as I thought he was, to thinking he was amazing again when I went deeper into most of his songs. So it won't completely ruin all of your artists. xD
Feed your mind.
Quote by Firebread
Ya, becoming better does take some of the magic out of listening to other artists. However with people like Hendrix, I went from thinking he was god, to thinking he was good, to thinking he wasn't as amazing as I thought he was, to thinking he was amazing again when I went deeper into most of his songs. So it won't completely ruin all of your artists. xD

Oh, I'm talking on a local level. Most of your friends and stuff. Learning to play guitar has made me appreciate a lot of artists better, no doubt. For example, that's why I get so mad when people diss John Mayer. Say what you want about his music, but the dude can plaaaaay.
Banging on a trash can
Quote by BigFatSandwich
Oh, I'm talking on a local level. Most of your friends and stuff. Learning to play guitar has made me appreciate a lot of artists better, no doubt. For example, that's why I get so mad when people diss John Mayer. Say what you want about his music, but the dude can plaaaaay.

Oh, local people will all look amateurish, that's a given. And about John Mayer, I think he's absolutely fantastic. He just plays the poppy stuff to pay the bills. xD
Feed your mind.
Quote by HendrixClaptonP

pfft, Hendrix isn't the greatest guitarist of all time.
Member of Australia FTW Club !

BASS RIG BUDGET $245 / $4900

Quote by UG
thank you zackR .
Quote by Firebread
Oh, local people will all look amateurish, that's a given. And about John Mayer, I think he's absolutely fantastic. He just plays the poppy stuff to pay the bills. xD

Haha I just remember looking at my friends and thinking, "OMG! They can play system of a down! I ****ing give up. I will never be that good. What's the point of even trying?"
Banging on a trash can
We were all **** when we first began, so don't worry about it. I started playing drums to AC/DC albums when I was 13 on a ****ty assed homemade kit made out of boxes and pans because I was to broke assed to afford a real one. After 2 years when I turned 15 I got my first electric guitar and I sucked at it big time, and coincidentaly got in a band 2 weeks later. Then, when I was 16 I got my first bass and played all through out highschool. I tried joining a really popular band at that time that was the ****, but i tanked the audition because I sucked and these guys were like friggin virtouoso. There was one kid in my highschool who was literally a god, because his playing ability was out of this world, he was like a Steve Vai Jr. and i never though i could be 1/10th of his ability. I was very discouraged and considered quiting music for good. I pretty much switched back and forth between the 6 stringer and the 4 stringer, not sure of my future in playing music, however I didn't quit.

My point? There were tons of people better then me, but most of those "gods" I worshipped in highshool have quit playing and either become drug addicts or embarked in a life of flippin' burgers and mediocre 9-5 desk jobs, while I have made some pretty good money now playing in a pro band. My how times change...
Last edited by Pizza The Hut at Jul 19, 2008,
Quote by strat335
NEVER too late to be a musician. you just gotta know what to learn and practice.

This
Quote by Kumanji
How about you don't insult my friend's dead mum, you prick.

Quote by JDawg
Too be he had to be a dick about his crayons.
Wait a few years, and have a back up plan.

If the band doesn't work (and no offense, good chances it won't) make sure there is something else you can do for money.
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
Quote by Firebread
I don't remember who it is, but he's a professionals guitarist in a huge signed band and he picked up the guitar when he was 23.

wasn't that glen tipton or K.K. downing from judas priest? I remember hearing that somewhere about one of them

anyway, practice! and don't just practice scales and **** that everyone else wants you to, practice what your influences have wrote and try to learn stuff by ear so you can figure out what kind of things they do often. then you can improve on it or branch it off into another genre (Like Randy Rhoads did, adding his classical knowledge to the standard blues metal)
Quote by cosmic rocker
Johnny Ramone picked the guitar when he was 25. he wasn't a virtuoso, but he made a living out of it.

ya but he didn't write any songs if the ramones wouldn't desperately needed guitarist that time, johnny ramone couldn be every where
鋼の錬金術師
Nope. It'd only be too late if you were about 25.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by Superstrat101
wasn't that glen tipton or K.K. downing from judas priest? I remember hearing that somewhere about one of them

anyway, practice! and don't just practice scales and **** that everyone else wants you to, practice what your influences have wrote and try to learn stuff by ear so you can figure out what kind of things they do often. then you can improve on it or branch it off into another genre (Like Randy Rhoads did, adding his classical knowledge to the standard blues metal)

No K.K. started Priest when he was 16. Glenn joined when he was 23 but the band wasn't singed yet and just playing in bars.
Tom Scholz didn't pick up an instrument until he was 21. In case you don't know, he's from the legendary Boston.
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
im 15 and just decided to get my **** togeather, and decided that i want to go to a music college to major in performance. if you just want to have your life revolve around music, than you could be a producer or a sound guy or something like that. research it a little bit, crack down on your playing to get into a music college, and work hard througout (sp?) college, and bam. ur life now revolves around music =]
Quote by Mo Jiggity
What he said. You are a wise man for not buying into the hype.

ya hear that...he thinks im wise
Psh. It's never too late.
But if you really really want it, then you have to work your butt off to get there.

CARPE DIEM!
If there's no one beside you when your soul embarks ,
then I'll follow you into the dark.
Don't worry about it, really. If you're not that special as a guitarist, you can always find a lead guitarist to do the stuff you can't. Do the rhythms until you improve on what you want to do.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Page 1 of 2