I have an interest in teaching guitar later on in life and was wondering if it pays enough to live on?
I decided I want to be more like the people on ug...

Searchbar!!!

That oughta do it.

Time for a supercool guitar demonstration by herman li,

Herman Li- why is this guitar so big?

Stage guy- because its a bass herman

depends, the guy i do guitar lessons with lives of it, dont know how well, and my bass instructer works part time at my university so not for him
xbox live gamertag: phillips215
My guitar teacher teaches guitar full-time at my school, and makes, say, $40,000 a year.
Also, he is a well-accomplished guitarist, and makes about $50,000 a year on gigs.
At around 25 dollars a student for 30 minute sessions, doing maybe 8 students a day, minus saturday and sunday that's

4 hour work days
1000 dollars a week
5000ish a month
roughly 60,000 a year assuming no holidays.

I'd say not if you want to live comfortably.
Feed your mind.
if your gonna teach guitar, alot of your students will be highschool aged kids, so you should get a part time job till like 3 PM during the school year
my gutiar teacher gets paid 70$ a term (its in school)

thats 20 kids at my school, tahts 1400 from my school a term,

he does a school a day, so thats 5 schools, thats 7k a term

thats 28grand a year, full time, not including the private tutoring he does.

and he works half days..

so you can live of it, and its easy flexible work.
*Enter Sig Here*
Quote by Firebread
At around 25 dollars a student for 30 minute sessions, doing maybe 8 students a day, minus saturday and sunday that's

4 hour work days
1000 dollars a week
5000ish a month
roughly 60,000 a year assuming no holidays.

I'd say not if you want to live comfortably.

That's around the amount teachers make here in Australia, so it's not poor.
Quote by lotsofvolume
That's around the amount teachers make here in Australia, so it's not poor.

It's not poor, but it's not middle class. You could afford your basic needs, but many luxury items would be out of reach.
Feed your mind.
60 grand a year is alot.......

Middle class is 25,000 to 99,999 a year.
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
Last edited by MedicreDemon at Jul 19, 2008,
Quote by MedicreDemon
60 grand a year is alot.......

Once you take out taxes, living expenses, food, ect, it doesn't boil down to much.
Feed your mind.
Let's say that ''luxury'' and music are two very different mindings. I'd say as long as you can afford yourself a nice axe, a stack, and some dates to make a noise, what some buy or try to buy out of life would come by itself. Remember, rich guys track hot women who can't take care of themselves, which track powerful/influent/very rich/popular guys. Make good music and the way should open itself.

By speaking of women & luxury I hope anyone didn't thought of anything else than that with the term 'luxury', who needs a leather couch when you're always swigin' that bed springs ? :P
I love music, if music would be a girl then I'd date her, until then let's get back on Earth
Quote by Firebread
Once you take out taxes, living expenses, food, ect, it doesn't boil down to much.

Yes it does? Teh average salary in america right now is about 25 grand and the cost of living for 1 person is about 26 thousand.

/banking class regurgitation
Quote by MedicreDemon
Yes it does? Teh average salary in america right now is about 25 grand and the cost of living for 1 person is about 26 thousand.

/banking class regurgitation

The economy isn't all that great, so I can't imagine that the average American earning 25 grand is living comfortably.
Feed your mind.
Quote by Firebread
The economy isn't all that great, so I can't imagine that the average American earning 25 grand is living comfortably.

I'm talking about being single here, and only working 4 hours a day, you could easily double your salary and only work 8 hours a day. It's just a matter of finding students.
Quote by Gäbe
Let's say that ''luxury'' and music are two very different mindings. I'd say as long as you can afford yourself a nice axe, a stack, and some dates to make a noise, what some buy or try to buy out of life would come by itself. Remember, rich guys track hot women who can't take care of themselves, which track powerful/influent/very rich/popular guys. Make good music and the way should open itself.

By speaking of women & luxury I hope anyone didn't thought of anything else than that with the term 'luxury', who needs a leather couch when you're always swigin' that bed springs ? :P

I can't think of anything better to write, perform, and play my own music to people that enjoy it, and then come home to my beautiful girlfriend. As long as I earn enough to buy a house eventually, buy food, buy guitar gear, I can be happy with that.

A band, money, girlfriend / wife, life, place to live...

You can do that just as well with $45,000 a year as you can with your mummy and daddies $100,000 salary.
Quote by MedicreDemon
I'm talking about being single here, and only working 4 hours a day, you could easily double your salary and only work 8 hours a day. It's just a matter of finding students.

Which is easier said than done. That'd be 16 30 minute sessions a day, thats 80 total students.
Feed your mind.
Quote by Firebread
Which is easier said than done. That'd be 16 30 minute sessions a day, thats 80 total students.

What's your point? then go for 6 hours a day and gig alongside. If I were guitar teacher it's not exactly a job im reluctant to do.