Page 1 of 2
What do you call yourself if you like ska?!

Example - if you like Punk, you're called a punk. If you like metal, you're a metalhead.

However, if you like ska you're a....

Skahead? Can it be done?

This isn't about stereotypes in that way. (Chav/Goth etc) I wanna know what you guys call yourselves (if you're a ska fan...)
Rien ne peut m'arrêter maintenant
You could be a rudeboy or a trad skin, but those are both different things that have prerequisites other than just listening to ska.

Although given your 'favorite bands' list you probably just like 3rd wave anyway. There isn't really a name for that. Don't worry too much about it.
One of my friends is into ska, and he likes the term "rude boy". He also uses the term "skanking" to refer to, i suppose, actions relating to ska. So you could be a "skanker" maybe? I donno.
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life."
-Frank Zappa

"Where words fail, music speaks."
-Hans Christian Andersen
Quote by rebelmidget
why are you looking for a label?

to keep herself organized?
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
Last edited by ExtremeMetalFTW at Jul 23, 2008,
I have a tendency to call out all the ' Skanksters ' when I'm playing a show and want to call attention to some rude boys for our ska songs. Thats kinda what some of us go by but thats what I've made a tendency to do when I play.
Scenester? :P

Nah I kid, I call myself Matt and I'm a ska fan. "Rude boy" seems to be more Hip Hop/Grime now and I don't really identify with the Rude label, given its roots
Quote by BlackLuster
DisgruntledDuck, I wish there were more people like you in the world.

Quote by Jaimz
You Sir, have my utmost respect

I have Jaimz' utmost respect and BlackLuster wishes that there were more people like me in the world!
Rude boy or rude girl. Rudie is the unisex term.
Minister of n00b harassing of the Punk and Ska fourm.
Quote by capsfan17, ss311, newyorkdolls138, somepunkkid, johnnynemo, axeslash, BrianApocalypse, mike2, dookie dude, lavazza and pinheadslts75
Thank God for CowsWithGuns

Quote by MattTheArsonist
Cowswithguns is my forum hero.

Quote by UraniYum
Cowswithguns is some kind of god on earth.

Love is never having to say your safeword.
skank, skanker or rude boy

The terms I use
Quote by Shea Donoghue
"WHY DON'T YOU JUST F*CK OFF?!" So I ran up to her face and went "FINE, I F*CKING WILL" and stuck my hands down my pants and started masturbating. My friends were pissing themselves laughing while she just went "JESUS CHRIST"
A rudeboy over here is some ragga who will stab you thirty times for a 20p coin and then tell the police to "duss, dutty babylon."

To be honest I think anyone that tries to be part of a ska subculture is a bit sad, its such a small genre of music that hardly exists anymore.
I use rude boy and moon stomper for 2tone fans. As far as third wave...sometimes rude boy on rare occasions, but usually just something having to do with them being ska fans. Pretty unoriginal.
They say the old woman's got the wisdom
'Cause she couldn't read the clock anymore
She said "The numbers don't represent the moments"
Says she don't see what all the ticking's for
If you're into ska punk, you should be called a skunk, or skunx.
And clenching your fist for the ones like us
Who are oppressed by the figures of beauty,
You fixed yourself, you said, "Well, never mind,
We are ugly, but we have the music."
Quote by sargasm
'Ska kid' sounds dumb. You could just call yourself a skank.

It's an inside joke with a friend of mine, really.

Her: "What do you call a ska kid? Rude Boy is so '70s."

Me: "Well that works doesn't it?"

Her: "That sounds stupid, Andy."

Me: "Well so does calling yourself an impolite skank."
Dickless.
Quote by DanRev

To be honest I think anyone that tries to be part of a ska subculture is a bit sad, its such a small genre of music that hardly exists anymore.

Not that I am really part of any ska culture, but... that's very untrue....
Quote by MetalMilitia212
It's an inside joke with a friend of mine, really.

Her: "What do you call a ska kid? Rude Boy is so '70s."

Me: "Well that works doesn't it?"

Her: "That sounds stupid, Andy."

Me: "Well so does calling yourself an impolite skank."

Except you're not funny, andy.

Jk, but I still hate all of your little ska-revivalist friends, though they're all just following what I suppose I was doing back in high school.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
"If I ever asked her to skank she'd probably think I called her one"

How about tasteful..?
ლ(́◉◞౪◟◉‵ლ
Quote by Sid McCall

Jk, but I still hate all of your little ska-revivalist friends, though they're all just following what I suppose I was doing back in high school.

Congratulations, you were just following what my dad was doing back in the two tone days, and he was just following what my mates dad was doing in the first wave days. Does that make you special or something?
Quote by Sid McCall
Except you're not funny, andy.

You're ****ing 18 and you're complaining about ska-revivalists?

Wow, I mean, normally I'd tack on a nasty insult right here, but right now it seems like my first sentence speaks volumes for itself.
Journalism is just a gun. It's only got one bullet in it, but if you aim right, that's all you need. Aim it right, and you can blow a kneecap off the world.
Quote by axeslash
You're ****ing 18 and you're complaining about ska-revivalists?

Wow, I mean, normally I'd tack on a nasty insult right here, but right now it seems like my first sentence speaks volumes for itself.

Quote by DanRev
Congratulations, you were just following what my dad was doing back in the two tone days, and he was just following what my mates dad was doing in the first wave days. Does that make you special or something?

It's a personal thing, lay off him .

He's convinced everyone in our town is copying his style. Which is totally justified, because most of the kids around here have no idea where the hell their scene comes from and just copy the last few graduating classes.
Dickless.
Last edited by MetalMilitia212 at Jul 20, 2008,
Quote by DanRev
A rudeboy over here is some ragga who will stab you thirty times for a 20p coin and then tell the police to "duss, dutty babylon."

Ska is dead! and you're next

No really, the ska-scene isn't the biggest scene.... but it still exists.
Quote by Shea Donoghue
"WHY DON'T YOU JUST F*CK OFF?!" So I ran up to her face and went "FINE, I F*CKING WILL" and stuck my hands down my pants and started masturbating. My friends were pissing themselves laughing while she just went "JESUS CHRIST"
Most ska scenes consist of middle aged men playing to underage kids. It's existence is debatable.
And clenching your fist for the ones like us
Who are oppressed by the figures of beauty,
You fixed yourself, you said, "Well, never mind,
We are ugly, but we have the music."
I saw a ska band that consisted of four 16ish kids and a middle aged man on trombone. Weird, but they were fun.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Anyone saying theres little to no ska scene is funny. Do you live in a city with like 5 people in it? If not go find it.
Quote by KingsofSka
Anyone saying theres little to no ska scene is funny. Do you live in a city with like 5 people in it? If not go find it.

Hi. I live in London. It has an official population of 7,512,400 (as of the 2001 census). There are quite a few ska-punk bands here, but very few ska bands. I often go to their gigs, and the audience is mainly made up of punks, band shirt and jeans guys, a few skinheads, some relatively plain looking people and even a few well dressed individuals such as myself.

I think anyone who still dresses like they did during the "third wave" is a bit sad, same with anyone who dresses as a two tone "rudeboy," it's a pretty dead scene here, sure theres bands but there isnt a select subculture that dresses a certain way, and has ska as their one main genre. Punks can get away with it because theres still hundreds of punk bands around and alot of them dress like "punks," it's still a big genre.

I dont know what its like in America. Maybe you're having the 16th wave right now or something.
Quote by KingsofSka

My city has a total of two Ska bands. And I know the scene really well.

There used to be two

then one left to vancouver

then apparently another one just started up, so we're back up to two. I'm stoked about this new one.

You're just spoiled cause you live in LA or something.
Quote by Ska Wars
Most ska scenes consist of middle aged men playing to underage kids. It's existence is debatable.

Ne'er have truer words been spoken, Ska Wars. It was like when I saw The Toasters last year, other than the odd middle-aged skin and rudie, it was mostly kids bouncing around. Even I felt old. Still, it's quite nice to see young kids at ska shows because it gives me the illiusion that if ska is dying then at least it'll have an alright turn out for the funeral.
Quote by BlackLuster
DisgruntledDuck, I wish there were more people like you in the world.

Quote by Jaimz
You Sir, have my utmost respect

I have Jaimz' utmost respect and BlackLuster wishes that there were more people like me in the world!
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Skarseholes.

It works on so many levels!
two and a half men.
A fan of ska music...
I'm here to help

Quote by Jimbleton
ok, as usual pit is being very unhelpful except andychalmers, so im gonna go post this someplace else

And a master of storytelling...

Quote by Jackolas
andychalmers102, that story is awesome.
A flaming-skulled cracker killer.
My style is impetuous.
My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious.
I want your heart.
I want to eat your children.

-Mike Tyson
Quote by cortez0
Ska is dead! and you're next

Hahahaha. That was actually very witty. If ska is dead, what's gonna be played at it's funeral!!!???

And I love all the names you've suggested, but uh...

I think I'll stick to 'fan of ska'!

(and I'm a girl btw... whoever said 'to keep himself organised'!!)
Rien ne peut m'arrêter maintenant
Page 1 of 2