well, it started out like this,
i started listening to music, liked it, listened to more music, and then new music sucked, and continued sucking, i was born in the 90s, so yeah most of the stuff in the late 90s, early 00s sucked, so i went back and found good stuff in all genres,
rap:nas, roots, common, wutang, a tribe called quest
trip hop:portishead, dj krush, dj shadow, massive attack
electronic:moby, daft punk, groove armada, the prodigy
alternative:u2, radiohead, the verve, oasis
grunge:soundgarden, pearl jam, stone temple pilots, alice in chains
metal: metallica, megadeth, too many to list
art metalpeth, tool, dream theater
and then i got into progressive rock and jazz: marillion/pinkfloyd/porcupine tree/miles davis/coltrane etc

and since i got wrapped up so much in music i figured it was only right that i learned to play what i wanted to hear = the ultimate listening pleasure and as of now i have a drum set, a small keyboard that is midi so i can play basically any instrument (i have tons of sample sets (east west collosus ), and a guitar.

I'm confused on how to progress because it seems like if i learn to play chords on the piano they become different on guitar i mean how does a c chord on piano become 5 notes on guitar!? Then i mean you can play the middle c of a piano on guitar in MULTIPLE positions and then unlike piano where the notes don't require tuning (im talking about digital pianos), on a guitar you tune up or down and suddenly everything is gone. I mean even the playing STYLE is different, for me it seems piano is target practice (learn the notes in a song/practice routine and play them), while guitar actually requires some physical ability (hammer ons/pull offs, bends, vibrato, and the GODDAMN F CHORD!!!) While drums are just a rhythm based instrument, not a full tonal instrument. So what do you guys think am i overloading? Or should i continue and learn all three?

Next question is, i DONT KNOW THEORY, but want to learn it and am deciding to take a level 1 guitar and a level 1 keyboard class in school and continue to level 2 (last level), what do you guys think? Is there a proven way to teach myself theory, i mean i can't even read notation, i mean i know the basics face, every good boy does fine, yeah but when i try to apply those to god damn moonlight sonata = fail And how the hell do i apply standard notation to guitar? I mean you can play for example middle c in different positions on the guitar so how do i know WHERE to play it?

As of right now my favorite instrument is the guitar, so far i know all chords major (12), i don't know scales, and currently am building finger strength by doing the spider, and then breaking up the spider using index and middle then index and ring and then index and pinky and so on. I also made up a routine:

|-1-2--------------------------------|
|------1-3---------------------------|
|-----------1-2-3--------------------|
|-------------------1-4--------------|
|-------------------------1-2--------|
|-----------------------------1-3^5--|

i play that up and down and some times instead of picking ill do tapping, and of course with every routine i do alternate picking
so come on guys give me some general ideas on where to tread, oh and i will be buying some books im thinking the hal leonard ones are good for learning basic scales/chords i mean but I CAN find scale/chord diagrams online so how helpful would these books be?

Can anyone recommend some good books on piano/drums? I have a copy of the 40 drum rudiments I was hoping someone could suggest some books on theory/reading music
nope, you need one book, the practice of harmony 5th edition.

teachs you the basics to where you can build 11 chords just from the scales, its directed mostly at piano cuz its easir to see theory on piano but seriously, that book is magical.

most people on here are cocky...but i know my **** about theory, i ight not know much about gear n shazz but when im talking about theory trust me, get that book.

it will teach you the notes, rythm, key signatures, basic triads, then move up to 4 part harmony choral writing, it'll teach you all the classical rules for that ****

EDIT: and btw, no way man, play as much as you can handle, and if you feel like your trying too hard, take a day or maybe 2 off, just stick to it man, cuz by the sound of things your gonna be a badass musician after a while assuming you dont rock already
instruments:
B.C Rich Warlock-Body Art Collection-June 2003
Ibanez SZ520QM
Epiphone PR-100 Acoustic
Squire Strat (way sweeter than it sounds)
Gear:
Line 6 Spider 3 HD75
Peavey Mark III Head
Peavey 1x15 Cabinet
DAMN! that book is expensive, im only 15 and in my state you need to be 16 to get a job cuz i'd buy that INSTANTLY from what you said about it, got any cheaper suggestions
yeah its seriously the best book for music theory.

if you just wanna learn the basics= www.musictheory.net

it has trainers so its easy to learn, its free, so that should hold you over until you can get enough money for that book, seriously...that book has enough info in it that a pro jazz musician could learn from it.

and i sent you a pm, if you have any questions i can answer pretty much any of them, unless you got into 9 and 11 inversions...i havnt really gotten into that enough to understand it enough to teach somebody how it works
instruments:
B.C Rich Warlock-Body Art Collection-June 2003
Ibanez SZ520QM
Epiphone PR-100 Acoustic
Squire Strat (way sweeter than it sounds)
Gear:
Line 6 Spider 3 HD75
Peavey Mark III Head
Peavey 1x15 Cabinet
You can get some books off the net via torrents which you can view on your computer. That would be the cheapest solution. Also internet articles.
Quote by codyshredfoo
yeah its seriously the best book for music theory.

if you just wanna learn the basics= www.musictheory.net

it has trainers so its easy to learn, its free, so that should hold you over until you can get enough money for that book, seriously...that book has enough info in it that a pro jazz musician could learn from it.

and i sent you a pm, if you have any questions i can answer pretty much any of them, unless you got into 9 and 11 inversions...i havnt really gotten into that enough to understand it enough to teach somebody how it works

sorry dude didnt get your pm checked forum inbox AND profile inbox...
Man you put a lot on your plate lol

2 things immiediatly stand out in your post, first C Major having 5 notes, it techincally doesn't it has the same notes as it does on a piano, except on the guitar you can play 6 notes with 1 hand... think of the guitar strings as mini pianos lined up next to each other that you can hit at once. The C you play on the Piano has C E and G, on the guitar is has C E G C and E, it just adds extra octaves.

Arent there only 2 middle C's on the guitar? A 3rd Fret and E 8th fret, being able to play the same note in different places is one thing that makes the guitar such a versatile instrument, you can play the note wherever you want to to fit it into what you are playing, and the tonal difference between the strings can create different sounds.

FACE, do you know about accidentals? and how to read a key signature, thats probably where things are going wrong, take codys advice on the theory site and by all means learn all the instruments and theory you can, dont pack too much in in one sitting tho you will easily forget things, your brain can only store so much for later use, dedicate some things to certain times and remember, sleeping on it is the best way that the brain permanently engraves that information.

Have Fun!
yeah i did put alot on my plate oh well ill try and see if i can get some used theory stuff from barnes and nobles or borders