And it sounds great, i love it. I'm playing an Ibanez RG570EX through a Humphrey Audio-modded Badder Monkey, and into the amp. What other pedals should I get? I was thinking a reverb, a delay, and a chorus. Suggestions?
Thanks! I already have an OD, a Humphrey Audio-modded Badder Monkey. I mostly want to play instrumental guitar stuff, like Satriani and the like. What would suit me better, an OD or a distortion?
well, i don't know about your Badder Monkey but I hear a disti pedal on an amp like that is not necessarily the way to go...but idk.

Satch - I would take an OD or chorus or delay like you said.

PS...sorry I missed your original Badder Monkey notation. there are some combo pedals out there too that might get several at once.
Here are two very lousy pictures I took with my god-awful webcam:

I have no idea why they're flipped. That's my new amp, with my Badder Monkey on top.
Nice Nice Nice. I was thinking about getting one, but then i saw a classic 30 for $300. so i might just wait till i get enough money for that classic.

But for Pedals i would go for a delay since you already have OD.
Which should I get first, a delay or a reverb? I think my sound seems kind of thin without a reverb fattening it up, so I'd prefer a reverb first.

Any pedal recommendations, for reverb/delay/chorus?
Quote by doom3rulz
Which should I get first, a delay or a reverb? I think my sound seems kind of thin without a reverb fattening it up, so I'd prefer a reverb first.

Any pedal recommendations, for reverb/delay/chorus?

Holy Gail Plus?
Quote by carpepax
Holy Gail Plus?

I was thinking of a Holy Grail as well, what's the difference between the normal and the plus versions?

Also, I've heard that the stock tubes in this amp aren't the best. Any recommendations as to what I should swap them to? I'd like some higher-gain tubes, if possible.
Last edited by doom3rulz at Jul 19, 2008,
Get yerself a nice delay pedal.

All you need is just a touch to fatten up the sound a little.
the ehx holy grail works good with it
Inspired by Ibanez RGA321F Prestige, Gibson Les Paul Standard
Powered by CAA OD100 standard+ , Mesa 2x12
Affected by Maxon OD808, Mad Professor Deep blue delay

So you people think that I should get a delay before a reverb? Will a delay be able to thicken my sound as much as a reverb? For example, like in Joe Satriani's Always With Me, Always with you, does he use reverb or delay?
i would buy reverb first. that to me is why it's a added feature on most amps and not delay. i just bought a ehx holy stain and the reverb is great on my epi vj. it has added features clean,fuzz and drive, tremolo, pitch shift. i'm still playin with the fuzz and drive. i pretty much have kept it in the clean mode. but it's got a great reverb for $20 less than the holy grail. you might give it a look. can you give some info on the badder monkey?
Last edited by mmjohn at Jul 19, 2008,
Congrats on the amp. I would say reverb before delay but that's just me. For a crap web cam, the pics came out fine, mirror imaged, but it looks great. Cheers!
Quote by mmjohn
i would buy reverb first. that to me is why it's a added feature on most amps and not delay. i just bought a ehx holy stain and the reverb is great on my epi vj. it has added features clean,fuzz and drive, tremolo, pitch shift. i'm still playin with the fuzz and drive. i pretty much have kept it in the clean mode. but it's got a great reverb for $20 less than the holy grail. you might give it a look. can you give some info on the badder monkey?

Thanks, I'll look into the Holy Stain. Is it some kind of multi-effects pedal? And do you know how the reverb on it compares to the Holy Grail?

About the Badder Monkey:

The Humphrey Audio Mod absolutely brings this OD pedal to life. The results of the modifications yield the following:

MUCH more available punch.

More Transparent tone so the sound of YOUR guitar and amp comes through.

A perfect 'Bite' without icepick highs.
Quote by JimPlaysGuitar
I'd stick with just delay, clipped reverberation never sounds good to me.

I'm sorry, but clipped reverb? What's that mean?
IMO reverb will fatten up your tone way more then delay.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
Reverb and Delay could sound a bit messy since the amp doesn't have an FX loop.

Looks nice, the Badder monkey intrigues me.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Last edited by timi_hendrix at Jul 19, 2008,
i've had both pedals a grail and the stain and their pretty close in sound. and yes the stain is ehx first multi effects pedal. there is a demo vid on their website. i'm going monday to guitar center to get a m-audio expression pedal to take complete advantage of the pedal.
Quote by doom3rulz
I'm sorry, but clipped reverb? What's that mean?
Meaning your guitar sound is reverbed and then distorted/eq'd by the amp which makes the wet sound from the reverb sound like shat. I think delay is fine in front cause that doesn't add a confusing (to the amp) sound.
These go to eleven...
Quote by lespaul#1
IMO reverb will fatten up your tone way more then delay.

reverb and delay sound great on a epi vj......i dont see why the BH should be any different.
Quote by mmjohn
i've had both pedals a grail and the stain and their pretty close in sound. and yes the stain is ehx first multi effects pedal. there is a demo vid on their website. i'm going monday to guitar center to get a m-audio expression pedal to take complete advantage of the pedal.

Okay, thanks! I'll test out the Holy Stain and see if I like it. And I'm from Singapore, the Stain and Grail are both the same price here, US$160. Sucks being a guitarist here, gear costs a ridiculous amount.

Quote by JimPlaysGuitar
Meaning your guitar sound is reverbed and then distorted/eq'd by the amp which makes the wet sound from the reverb sound like shat. I think delay is fine in front cause that doesn't add a confusing (to the amp) sound.

So reverb is a bad idea without putting it in the effects loop? Damn, that sucks. Is being EQ'd very bad for the reverb sound? I don't know about it being distorted, because the Little Giant doesn't seem to break up at all, even at three-quarters volume on the 3-watt channel. So if I put the reverb later in the pedal chain than my distortion/OD, I think I should be fine?
Quote by doom3rulz
So reverb is a bad idea without putting it in the effects loop? Damn, that sucks. Is being EQ'd very bad for the reverb sound? I don't know about it being distorted, because the Little Giant doesn't seem to break up at all, even at three-quarters volume on the 3-watt channel. So if I put the reverb later in the pedal chain than my distortion/OD, I think I should be fine?
That's fine. The EQ part isn't the bad part.
These go to eleven...
Quote by JimPlaysGuitar
That's fine. The EQ part isn't the bad part.

Okay, thanks for the help!

Also, does anyone know what I should swap out the stock tubes for? I'm looking for a nice, high-gain-ish kind of sound.
first of all, on 3 watt mode you're supposed to have more headroom so it's not gonna get as gainy. it gets like a really dirty blues. put it on 5 watt mode and you'll get breakup earlier and it'll be more raw. max the volume on 5 watts and you'll see how it gets gainy.

in general, i recommend a tung sol preamp and JJ power tube replacement from www.dougstubes.com. you can also choose both tubes to have 'early distortion' so that they breakup a lil earlier, that will help increase ur gain somewhat. someone on here who's another GNR fan told me they used a different kind of preamp tube i think to get higher gain.

put simple: don't try to make it hi gain by giving it hi gain tubes. get it nice tubes like i mentioned, that will improve the sound and gain ten fold compared to the stock sound. and from there, just OD the dirty sound. the blackheart isn't gonna get the super smooth american hi gain tone of satriani or Vai i wouldn't think, but it won't sound bad for their stuff either. just not the right voicing.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Quote by slash_rocks2005
first of all, on 3 watt mode you're supposed to have more headroom so it's not gonna get as gainy. it gets like a really dirty blues. put it on 5 watt mode and you'll get breakup earlier and it'll be more raw. max the volume on 5 watts and you'll see how it gets gainy.

in general, i recommend a tung sol preamp and JJ power tube replacement from www.dougstubes.com. you can also choose both tubes to have 'early distortion' so that they breakup a lil earlier, that will help increase ur gain somewhat. someone on here who's another GNR fan told me they used a different kind of preamp tube i think to get higher gain.

put simple: don't try to make it hi gain by giving it hi gain tubes. get it nice tubes like i mentioned, that will improve the sound and gain ten fold compared to the stock sound. and from there, just OD the dirty sound. the blackheart isn't gonna get the super smooth american hi gain tone of satriani or Vai i wouldn't think, but it won't sound bad for their stuff either. just not the right voicing.

Thanks for the help! The clips on your profile, especially the one with the BM, were what convinced me to get the amp and pair it with my Badder Monkey.

I always thought the 3-watt channel was to get breakup at a lower volume, I guess I was wrong. Oh well, I'll try the 5-watt channel later, it's 12.20am here.

For the tubes, can I just get the Tung-Sol and JJ tubes from anywhere, or does it have to be from that specific site? Because I don't stay in the US, so I might be unable to get stuff from that site. Is there any difference between the tubes from there, and the normal Tung-Sol and JJ ones? Also, how do I get that "early distortion" thing?

Again, thanks for the advice!
oh i'm sorry i didn't realize ur location! hmm i'm sure other sites like www.eurotubes.com will let you have an option of early breakup tubes, if they don't show one, send them an e-mail asking them if your order could get them that way. that'd be the best method.

and tung-sol and JJ are the brands, you should be able to get those from anywhere yes. Personally, i dont think you'll find a better power tube brand than JJ for this amp. and for preamp, unless you're looking to spend an arm and leg, i'd go w/ tung-sol....it's absolutely perfect for its price. shame that only one clip i have is w/ the new tubes.

glad to hear that my clips helped ya choose an amp bro but yea, when you get a chance crank the 5 watt mode, it gets to be like AC/DC gainy. really crunchy. throw an OD on top of that and you'll go anywhere from a smoother crunchy gain to thrashy early metallica style.

i also love the cleans on this amp, they're so warm and with just a harder pick attack they get dirty. that's what i love the 3 watt mode for.

slash_edit:https://ssl.eurotubes.com/cart/index.php?page=view_products&category_id=2&sub_category_id=12
if you look down the list you'll see that they have the option of 'hi gain' one, it costs like $14 or so but that's not a bad price. make sure you look at ALL the 12ax7 tubes and ALL the El84 power tubes so you know what's offered. and i'd stick w/ JJ and tung-sol if you can! eurotubes.com seems to be the most popular for over there while here in the US i hear more recommendations for dougstubes.com.

hope i'm helpin
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Last edited by slash_rocks2005 at Jul 19, 2008,
Eurotubes isn't exactly a european site, afaik? "Who is Eurotubes?

We are into tubes! We deal in JJ Electronic tubes and NOS tubes. We are located in Milwaukie Oregon "

Now I dunno where TS is located in the world but if he's in the UK then he'd be better looking into say www.banzaieffects.com

Anyway, get the highest gain preamp tube you can if you want gain - I always assumed the 'early distortion' thing referred to minute headroom changes between power tubes due to manufacturing inconsistencies... IE it's quite minor? If you want more gain, get a very high gain preamp tube.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
I'll probably go with your advice and get the Tung-Sol and JJ tubes. I live in Singapore, though, which might make it a little bit hard to find the tubes. It might take a bit of searching, but I'm sure I'll eventually find them. And I can't crank the 5-watt channel, lol, I live in an apartment, i can't even bring the volume past a quarter with my BM level at halfway.

Thanks to everyone for all the help!
you should check tube-depot.com i think they deliver worldwide, i got mine from us to sweden in 3 days, delivered by a private company to the door so i didnt have to pay extra taxes

one thing about the ehx holy grail is that it eats tone from other pedals infront, (dist and overdrive pedals..) even when its on bypass, atleast mine does, to bad the amp doesnt have a loop..
Inspired by Ibanez RGA321F Prestige, Gibson Les Paul Standard