to start this off let me say that im not by any means an expert or guru or whatever people are called now a days, and ive only been playing for a short amount of time and still have helluva long way to go, but I wrote this for all of you who need some basic theory simplified and there are a crapload of reasons to learn it........

1. Why spend 15 years learning to play one scale

2. It saves a load of time instead of just playing with notes (believe me ive tried)

3. What can be lost by gaining more knowledge

and i will now attempt to simplify the very basics of what you should know of musical theory (there are a few things missing , but i'll get that later on if this is helpful enough)

1.Learn The Fretboard

Before you even press down the first note, you really should learn all the notes on the fretboard, because it saves a helluva lot of time trying to piece together all those notes, but...

SERIOUSLY do this now and everything will come together sooner rather than later and I assume you want to learn to play ASAP

if you took my advice seriously and completed the 1st step follow on ...

2.Intervals

Intervals are basically saying how many frets or notes to skip over, before you hit the right notes in a scale and the only ones you need to be concerned with at the moment are the Major and Minor steps

Major = WWHWWWH ( in layman's terms that means to go in the following order)

Minor = WHWWHWW

3. Scales

In step one and two , all of you no doubtedly noticed weird signs between certain notes (in a musician's language those signs are called accidentals), and except for notes B and E there are always accidentals between notes (though that last part is highly debated by some).

If u see a "b" in front of note, then it is called a FLAT , and its opposite the # symbol is known as a SHARP.

On occasion you may see two accidentals together, such an example is ... C# (C sharp) and Db (D flat)...these two mean the exact same thing and are known as enharmonic.

Believe it or not, if you know the major scale, you pretty much know all of the scales, its just a matter of suspending (or substituting certain notes for others) Proof of this theory is this ..

Major scale = 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 1

if you take out the 2nd, 4th, and 6th notes then you are left with what is known as a penatatonic scale which looks like.....

Pentatonic Scale =1 3 5 7 1

(this is also the most used scale in all styles of music, although a bit overused by some *cough Slash and Kirk Hammett cough*)

or

you can also take the major scale as mentioned above and flatten the 3rd and 6th note and you'll end up with the harmonic minor scale...

Harmonic Minor = 1 2 b3 4 5 b6 7

(the 1st note in a scale is known as the root note, which also gives the scale its key, and you will usually but not always end up playing the root note again at a higher pitch which is called an octave)

(CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL GUITAR HERO FANS, now you know some of the work that goes into your red, blue, orange combos...)

If this is sufficient enough for all beginners to theory, then i'll work on some more stuf later on ...........