I'm posting this on behalf of one of my brother's friends.

I was helping him restring a guitar just now (strat style guitar), and the strings won't go back out through the bridge.

I've never seen it happen before...it's as though they are rusted in place or something.
Anyone got any ideas on how to remove them? Forcing them won't work, and I'm a bit hesitant to use WD-40 or RP-7 on the bridge, as I'm not sure what that'd do to the paint...

Anyone got any ideas?

-Jayke
Member of the Laney Cult
it is by chance a squire strat? I had one of those when I started and I could not for the life of me get the high E out of the bringe.... I had to jam a tiny screwdriver in to get it out....
Quote by bucktheduck

Call me troll, call me psychopath. In the end, I shall stand above you all as you drown in a pool of sex and filth. It will explode your corrupted bodies, and I will walk above the wreckage as a pure man.

Quote by DieGarbageMan

Haggard13 i are impressed
it would happen, but i could use some needle-nosed pliers to grab the ball end, while i stuck a toothpick in through the top of the bridge.
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
yeah, just be careful
Quote by bucktheduck

Call me troll, call me psychopath. In the end, I shall stand above you all as you drown in a pool of sex and filth. It will explode your corrupted bodies, and I will walk above the wreckage as a pure man.

Quote by DieGarbageMan

Haggard13 i are impressed
Hmm...It's a no-name ebay strat.
"Nature - by Jian Xing" or something.
I'm gunna try and plier them out in a sec...I'll let you know how it all goes...
I might just put some tissues around the bridge and drown it in RP-7...no such thing as too much lube

-Jayke
Member of the Laney Cult
Quote by JaykeSucks
no such thing as too much lube

-Jayke

Except on the bridge, pickups, wiring of an electric guitar.
Future fix: Fender Bullet Ends. Ball ends tend to wedge themselves into the hole in the trem block on a lot of cheapo strat clones. Bullets won't jam up due to the shape.
Quote by LeftyDave
Except on the bridge, pickups, wiring of an electric guitar.
Future fix: Fender Bullet Ends. Ball ends tend to wedge themselves into the hole in the trem block on a lot of cheapo strat clones. Bullets won't jam up due to the shape.

True, true.
As it turns out, the bridge is either rusted over, or it was just designed really badly.
I'm taking it in to a guitar shop for him to get it looked at.
I'll tell him to go Bullet Ends next time. It's the first time it's ever been restrung, so it only had the stock strings on it.

Anyway.
Thanks for the help.

-Jayke
Member of the Laney Cult
Take a new string (low e should work) and poke the skinny end backwards through the bridge and try to poke it out.

Also, 3-in-1 oil won't hurt your paint if you need to lubricate it. I use it on pretty much everything (bridge, strings, nut, etc). It doesn't hurt the paint and it protects against rust and corrosion (great for strings, also kinda works like that fret grease stuff)
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
get some form of lubricant in there. anything is fine, even oil.
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.