Often I've wondered whether or not to downpick or alternate pick the galloping part in the Four Horsemen by Metallica (the intro). I can play it both ways, but I was curious as to how Kirk Hammet actually does it. I find that down-picking it sounds more aggressive, but of course, alternate picking it is a hell of a lot more easier.

So for those who know how to play the song, how do you do it?
Down-picking.
My guitar modification blog.
Quote by MuffinMan
Jesus was all like "To those about to rock, I salute you." then he grabbed his mighty axe and rocked the Romans out really hard. Of course they were strict classical music so....
I alternate pick almost every metallica riff thats fast. People will probably call you a noob for not doing it all downstrokes ((the way metallica plays it, AKA the right way)) but seriously who gives a ****.

Play how you want.

-edit-

Don't get me wrong, It's good to learn these skills like downpicking and all of that, but you don't always have to use them. Like I said before, play how you want.
Quote by C O B H C
If you want to get really technical about it..

1. Grab sticks.
2. Bang sticks on drums.

^how to play drums.

UG POKER
Last edited by yellowshirtguy at Jul 19, 2008,
To me that riff sounds like crap played downstrokes. That's not galloping btw, galloping is two 16th notes followed by an 8th note. The intro for TFH is with a swing feel.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Anything with a galloping rhythm (or an approximate galloping rhythm, even if it's not a true gallop), I like to play as D-U-D, D-U-D - so that the note in the middle of each group of three is an upstroke, but each gallop starts on a downstroke. I feel this gets the driving pulse of the gallop across best, it can sound a bit static if you play a harsh downstroke on every one.
Quote by adamrandall
ahh yes SRV. i got the intro on texas flood (easy) and then he's like twangledoodleblopdebloo dun dun dun dun DA dun DA and im like *dead*.

The Unholy plays a Jackson Warrior X through a Metal Muff

Squigglymetal!
^ the true galloping sound can be found in Iron maiden, the trooper, for me. Same rhythm as the coconuts in monty python and the holy grail. What the person above me said is how I play the gallops in the trooper.

For that riff, you should probably do it downpicked just because thats how they do it. If you can't, no big deal, it can definitely be alt picked. The most important part is getting the rhythm right.
Quote by Green_Jelly
To me that riff sounds like crap played downstrokes. That's not galloping btw, galloping is two 16th notes followed by an 8th note. The intro for TFH is with a swing feel.
And the swing feel is created by a dotted quaver and a semi-quaver grouped together aka a dotted-rhythm.
learn the galloping part to raining blood instead. Try to do that with downstrokes lol
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"