Absolute Bull****
181 37%
Scary Possibility
312 63%
Voters: 493.
Page 1 of 11
yes it is.
its been happening since forever.
the climate has always gone up and down. but i think its been getting hotter then the last times. not like i was there of course haha. but yeah. **** it im not a scientist dont ask me.
If you are reading this now you are my B**ch.
Your poll options are wrong. It is much more than a possibility. Global warming has been observed beyond all doubt; the only question is whether or not humans are responsible.
kill all humans
It's probably happening but I don't think its as serious as Al Gore says it is. Like silentreapings said, the climate has always gone up and down, so we're probably on an "up" right now. It just might be a bit higher than average.
Quote by dubstar92
Sparks92 is made of win

Member #26 of the "Claudio Sanchez is god" Club.
PM stepco12345 to join!

Last edited by Sparks92 : Tomorrow at 13:37 AM.
What, there's a debate on whether it's real or not?

It was like 50 degrees celcius here at christmas the other year. I'd say it's happening.
O! music: Click (Youtube)

^ Click to see an acoustic arrangement of Ke$ha's 'Your Love is my Drug' - everyone's favourite song.
yeh its happening
all the people in power dont want it to cause they'll lose money
Pull my finger

Quote by Explicit User

"Kyle.. Do you know what homosex is?"
me:"...yes... why?"
"Do you want to have it?"
Me again:"...no Anthony..no i don't"
"Oh.. okay.. good night"

haha

Quote by madhampster
Dear god the pit is a force to be reckoned with.
actually, global cooling is the real thing that will kill us, global warming is a distraction, and a marketing tool to get people to "go green". but being concerned about global warming will indeed prevent global cooling, and it helps the environment in general. so i voted yes

all i know is u cant dump things into the atmosphere and expect nothing to happen
Global warming is not a bad thing!! OMFG CO2 in the air!!! co2 + h2o+ good ol sun light = plants grow bigger faster.
Quote by alaskan_ninja
Your poll options are wrong. It is much more than a possibility. Global warming has been observed beyond all doubt; the only question is whether or not humans are responsible.

humans arnt causing it but are making it worse in my opinion.
haha does that make sense?
llama peas
If you are reading this now you are my B**ch.
Well we've observed the planet warming, and to my mind the important question is not who to blame, it's how will we prevent catastrophes. Many will be killed if the earth warms to much whether it's warming because of us or not, we need solutions to help the environment.

Also, I believe that we should reduce greenhouse gas emissions and become more environmentally friendly anyway, regardless of whether it will help cool the planet. To my mind the earth is like the host at a party, when you're at a party you don't piss all over the floor, spill beer in the hosts face, burn down half the house and drive through the front door with your car, but metaphorically that's what we're doing to the earth. It's our host and we're disrespecting it.

[/hippie]
Quote by alaskan_ninja

yes my poll options are wrong... they should be yes and no... my bad
Quote by blynd_snyper
Well we've observed the planet warming, and to my mind the important question is not who to blame, it's how will we prevent catastrophes. Many will be killed if the earth warms to much whether it's warming because of us or not, we need solutions to help the environment.

Also, I believe that we should reduce greenhouse gas emissions and become more environmentally friendly anyway, regardless of whether it will help cool the planet. To my mind the earth is like the host at a party, when you're at a party you don't piss all over the floor, spill beer in the hosts face, burn down half the house and drive through the front door with your car, but metaphorically that's what we're doing to the earth. It's our host and we're disrespecting it.

[/hippie]

+ a gazillion

Tbh I don't even see why there should be any more debate about this; the IPCC and climate scientists are pretty much unanimous on the fact that global warming is happening, and is being contributed to by humans. So you know- the people that actually study the climate are actually pretty convinced that global warming's happening who do you trust? Them or a petrol company who stands a hell of a lot to lose if we stop using fossil fuels.
Quote by blynd_snyper
when you're at a party you don't piss all over the floor, spill beer in the hosts face, burn down half the house and drive through the front door with your car,

[/hippie]

ups...i think i got it all wrong!
Quote by Spictacular
Global warming is not a bad thing!! OMFG CO2 in the air!!! co2 + h2o+ good ol sun light = plants grow bigger faster.

It's a bad thing..we'll die faster because all the water on earth ... or a big amount of it will evaporate in the air and we'll die.
Squier Standard Telecaster.
Random Ibanez GIO superstrat
Takamine EG440C Maple Blue

Line 6 Spider III 30 w
Blackheart Killer Ant
Blackheart Little Giant

Line 6 Pod X3 Live
Line 6 Toneport UX-2
Quote by all hail the d
+ a gazillion

Tbh I don't even see why there should be any more debate about this; the IPCC and climate scientists are pretty much unanimous on the fact that global warming is happening, and is being contributed to by humans. So you know- the people that actually study the climate are actually pretty convinced that global warming's happening who do you trust? Them or a petrol company who stands a hell of a lot to lose if we stop using fossil fuels.

Finally! Someone on this forum who acknowledges the work of the IPCC!

And yes, it is happening, we are significantly responsible and we are the only ones who can make a difference.
The main problem with this whole thing is the creation of a "Global Warming Industry", that is, if people's careers are based on global warming, then it's in their best interests to scare monger and create crappy statistics so governments continue to invest money in them, which is unfortunately what is happening...but yeah that's a political issue i guess, the actual science yes i believe in.
imagine how expensive water will be
Pull my finger

Quote by Explicit User

"Kyle.. Do you know what homosex is?"
me:"...yes... why?"
"Do you want to have it?"
Me again:"...no Anthony..no i don't"
"Oh.. okay.. good night"

haha

Quote by madhampster
Dear god the pit is a force to be reckoned with.
*facepalm*
In the 70's, global COOLING was the scare.

Of course the earth's climate is gonna fluctuate.
But some people love to market it.
It's like Superman reading the teachings of Jesus. The two greatest musicians on Earth hath combined forces. I officially quit music, as it has reached it's zenith with that cover.
Of course it's happening, and you can't stop it. The problem is it's happening too fast, and we can slow it down. Ice cores show a cycle of warming and cooling for at least 10,000 years, so it is a natural thing. But excess greenhouse gases produced by human activity is speeding it up.
The planet will eventually balance it out and correct it, but that will take thousands (millions maybe) of years.
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here
It's a normal procedure that happens to the earth every few billion years.
The pole's switch and the climate changes.
it had almost nothing to do with what al gore is suggesting.
its definately happening... but i find it hard to believe that a few billion humans can have more influence on the climate more than something like the sun could... the earth has been warming and cooling for millions of years... since before even humans graced the planet...
Quote by Joeval
Of course it's happening, and you can't stop it. The problem is it's happening too fast, and we can slow it down. Ice cores show a cycle of warming and cooling for at least 10,000 years, so it is a natural thing. But excess greenhouse gases produced by human activity is speeding it up.
The planet will eventually balance it out and correct it, but that will take thousands (millions maybe) of years.

yep

Quote by Shredslayer
its definately happening... but i find it hard to believe that a few billion humans can have more influence on the climate more than something like the sun could... the earth has been warming and cooling for millions of years... since before even humans graced the planet...

Ever taken a science class? That could help you to understand
Quote by clown phobia
yep

Ever taken a science class? That could help you to understand

The main problem i believe is that global warming has been assumed as a result of mans actions and IS now being taught in class at schools and the majority of people ARE believing what they are told... where's the proof that humans are DIRECTLY responsible for the warming of the planet... i havent been able to find it... and keep in mind a few hundred years ago most scientists believed that the earth was flat... they dont look so clever anymore... do they?
Quote by Shredslayer
The main problem i believe is that global warming has been assumed as a result of mans actions and IS now being taught in class at schools and the majority of people ARE believing what they are told... where's the proof that humans are DIRECTLY responsible for the warming of the planet... i havent been able to find it... and keep in mind a few hundred years ago most scientists believed that the earth was flat... they dont look so clever anymore... do they?

You clearly haven't looked very far:
http://www.ipcc.ch/ipccreports/ar4-wg1.htm

They conclude that humans are responsible for climate change with probability of greater than 90%.

Edit: a few hundred years ago scientists also didn't know about DNA, evolution, the atom, viruses, tectonic plates etc. They are all true, I don't really get your point.
Last edited by Kiwi Ace at Jul 19, 2008,
Quote by Kiwi Ace
You clearly haven't looked very far:
http://www.ipcc.ch/ipccreports/ar4-wg1.htm

They conclude that humans are responsible for climate change with probability of greater than 90%.

you sir, are a kiwi with an interest in global warming... then i presume you watched the debate on prime a couple of months ago... they had one scientist (can't remember his name) (whom may i point out was on the ipcc list of scientists who SUPPORTED man's effect on the climate, without even being asked) who clearly said that he had evidence that contradicts the ipcc's reports... and as well as this he showed the evidence... now, of course hes only one man, but many scientists have signed a petition over in the states showing there disagreement towards global warming.
Last edited by Shredslayer at Jul 19, 2008,
Quote by Shredslayer
you sir, are a kiwi with an interest in global warming... then i presume you watched the debate on prime a couple of months ago... they had one scientist (can't remember his name) (whom may i point out was on the ipcc list of scientists who SUPPORTED man's effect on the climate, without even being asked) who clearly said that he had evidence that contradicts the ipcc's reports... and as well as this he showed the evidence... now, of course hes only one man, but many scientists have signed a petition over in the states showing there disagreement towards global warming.

Obviously people have different views, they always will, but the consensus is clear. I know one of the lead scientists on the IPCC, the evidence really is unequivocal and their scientific process very transparent. I didn't watch the debate, but I watched about 15 minutes of the preceding documentary which did nothing but raise claims that have been refuted time and time again.
Quote by Kiwi Ace
Obviously people have different views, they always will, but the consensus is clear. I know one of the lead scientists on the IPCC, the evidence really is unequivocal and their scientific process very transparent. I didn't watch the debate, but I watched about 15 minutes of the preceding documentary which did nothing but raise claims that have been refuted time and time again.

Agreed, the documentry that preceded was definately strongly biased... but it was just as credible as an inconvenient truth ever was
I don't believe that carbon dioxide is that significant of a greenhouse gas. Global climates have a cycle and I think we should just spend more time trying to adapt to the changes instead of going all ape**** over preventing a natural occurance. It could very well just be Sun Warming as well.

If "global warming" does happen (by natural causes or human interference), I think extreme weather conditions will really spice life up, even if it means a lot of deaths. People exaggerate the value of a human life too much anyway.
Of course it is. There is little doubt. However, I can't say I'm surprised at most of the replies in here, considering 90% of people in the pit are scientifically illiterate and probably don't even know what the scientific process is, let alone acknowledge the logical fallacies they're using.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Quote by Flibbertigibbet
I don't believe that carbon dioxide is that significant of a greenhouse gas. Global climates have a cycle and I think we should just spend more time trying to adapt to the changes instead of going all ape**** over preventing a natural occurance. It could very well just be Sun Warming as well.

If "global warming" does happen (by natural causes or human interference), I think extreme weather conditions will really spice life up, even if it means a lot of deaths. People exaggerate the value of a human life too much anyway.

lol

+1
i think its our cue to use solar power.

of course the climate is changing - remember what happened to england this time last year?
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
The sea absorbs Co2 which creates plankton on the surface, once that plankton dies it falls to the see bed and when the plates slide it moves under the sea bed in to the larva chamber of a volcano and of course when the volcano erupts the Co2 is recylced into the atmosphere
Or something along those lines happens

The only thing I am worried about is there will be alot more volcanic eruptions but seeing as I live in England I don't have alot to fear
Sucks for Japan though
Quote by Sir Anonymous
I'd call you a crazy Brit, but your username seems to quite assure your sanity.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
Epic username of pure epicness

To: Jesus=ConArtist
Quote by Shredslayer
Agreed, the documentry that preceded was definately strongly biased... but it was just as credible as an inconvenient truth ever was

Since when I have been basing my opinion on An Inconvenient Truth?
Quote by Flibbertigibbet

You clearly know more than the majority of the scientific community.
It has been proven that the current rate of warming is not caused by solar fluctuations.
Oh, and this looks pretty natural to me

Quote by Flibbertigibbet
Fuck you.
Quote by Kiwi Ace
Since when I have been basing my opinion on An Inconvenient Truth?

You clearly know more than the majority of the scientific community.
It has been proven that the current rate of warming is not caused by solar fluctuations.
Oh, and this looks pretty natural to me

Fuck you.

whoa man settle down... no need to get nasty... and i spose you got those graphs from something or someone linked to ipcc... and ive already presented my views on those scaremongers