I'm thinking of posting up ads to give guitar lessons for REALLY dirt cheap because I have no qualifications.

Basically, if any of you out there have taught students, can you please tell me what the students asked you before becoming your student?

Like did they ask if you'd done musical exams and stuff like that.

Also, is it good to offer first lesson free? They may get one and never come back but I still have the experience of teaching right?

Thanks in advance.
I asked MY teacher about the requirements to be a teacher.

Obviously you have to know music (scales, chords, music theory, proper technique)

He said that knowing a wide variety of genres is really important also. BTW he told me that if anyone wanted to work at an actual music store as a teacher, they had to have at least 10+ years of experience under their belt first.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Quote by dudetheman
I asked MY teacher about the requirements to be a teacher.

Obviously you have to know music (scales, chords, music theory, proper technique)

He said that knowing a wide variety of genres is really important also. BTW he told me that if anyone wanted to work at an actual music store as a teacher, they had to have at least 10+ years of experience under their belt first.

Yeah, I know a bit of music theory, but would the student ask for documents to prove I know? Like certificates to say I've passed 8th grade classical guitar or something.
i doubt it.. i just walked in on the first day. my teacher was like hi my name tom, ok we learn sweep. and started some amazing shred and i was like :O and then i just started learning. qualifications and papers are for suits man. just know your **** and spread the knowledge man
Quote by emich
i doubt it.. i just walked in on the first day. my teacher was like hi my name tom, ok we learn sweep. and started some amazing shred and i was like :O and then i just started learning. qualifications and papers are for suits man. just know your **** and spread the knowledge man

Are you being serious? Or just joking around.
no, they won't want to see qualifications, just say: "Tallented Guitar player, offering to teach cheap"
Quote by Lil_Ms_Sunshine
no, they won't want to see qualifications, just say: "Tallented Guitar player, offering to teach cheap"

Ok, thanks for that, would it be a good idea to advertise in my school? Or is there a way for me to get a wider audience (I'm turning 15 next month, so would my age give any potential students any doubt?)
Not alot of kids will care about exams. Most will just want you to teach them songs they want. So basically know some cliche licks to impress them. But knowing how to put kids through exams etc is good to know. You have to know all the scales, chords etc well.
I teach as a part time job. Since i'm a full time music student, and relatively lazy.

I teach real beginners, ones that don't know how to hold guitars. And the main thing i've learnt is, no one is the same.
For a first lesson I find out what they know about guitar, who they like or want to be like, favourite bands, about them etc. And I always charge for the first lesson. I need to buy McDonalds too you know!

Anyway I figure out what they like, and with that I can teach them how they learn. Unfortunately chances are you will get 1 student of 10 that is really into guitar . And 1 in 10 of those who want to learn haha. Well that's not true, but you'll get what I mean.

I've had many students, and 1 all have potential, there's no one that doesn't have potential, but their attitudes infringe on that. I'll talk about 3 students in particular now. I had one who was my favourite student. He wasn't the best of them, but he wanted to learn and tried his best. And I really enjoyed these lessons. He unfortunately left due to school tutoring needs.

His friend however is a quick learner, by no means is he a great guitarist, he's just a beginner, but he learns quick. Unfortunately he knows this and doesn't practise nearly as much as he could. He's funny, likes playing the 12 bar blues and letting me jam, but hates anything that isn't techno or bullet for my valentine.

Then I have another student. My longest student. Has the WORST attitude ever. And is really sulky. Hasn't progressed at all really because he doesn't practice or take what I say seriously. His attitude is literally 'why learn it when I can't do it'.

So everyone is different.

Although I do have a funny story, I had a student (hardly turned up, hardly practised, his parents blamed him for forgetting his lessons.. Even though they drive him, and he was 11... WHAT THE ****. Anyway my first lesson with this kid, the mother insisted on staying, that was fine, i can undertsand that. But after it, they tried to leave withut paying. The mother insisted the first lesson was complimentary. Don't worry, I got my bloody moolah. Meanwhile he just stopped turning up, I never called him again, **** him.

I also had a student who came one time, and his mother stood out side calling for him to come out. Freak lady. She yelled his name, not in a mean way, just in a you're disturbing the peace way. He never came back. Although 4 months later his dad called (real pr!ck of a guy) and wanted to do lessons. I just never callde back. I know thats bad, but frankly, f*ck em. I wait for lousy students who never call or anything, they think this is a joke. To think i'm teaching some bloody good stuff for a lousy $25 an hour.

I have plenty of info on giving lessons. Personally overall. I love lessons, educating others in something you love is great if you do your best. While they may not benefit, if you try your best to rectify it and they still don't learn, most of the time it's their attitude, so make the most of it, and use it as time to catch up on some chromatic excersises, and get the money. If i'm having that sulky student I spoke of, then half the time, while i'm not explaining why he's using a pick or index + middle fingers and thumb instead of only his thumb, then i'm making him do something (yes to help benefit him, im not a wanker, i dont deny him of his money's worth) and i'm practising my modes, or a jazz song I wrote for a class assessment or something with my volume down.

The Gear I Use Most:
Gibson guitars, Les Paul, ES-335, SG and more.
Dunlop Crybaby | Dunlop Volume | Boss TU-2 | Ibanez TS-9 | Maxon AD-999
Planet Waves Custom Leads
Marshall JCM900 (model: 4100 + 4101)

TooJoo The Band
you have to be an accomplised musician, knowing everything about e intstrument and musical theory. also, you have to not oppress your students, not force them into any style, and make sure they learn what they want.
Quote by Mattalac
I teach as a part time job. Since i'm a full time music student, and relatively lazy.

I teach real beginners, ones that don't know how to hold guitars. And the main thing i've learnt is, no one is the same.
For a first lesson I find out what they know about guitar, who they like or want to be like, favourite bands, about them etc. And I always charge for the first lesson. I need to buy McDonalds too you know!

Anyway I figure out what they like, and with that I can teach them how they learn. Unfortunately chances are you will get 1 student of 10 that is really into guitar . And 1 in 10 of those who want to learn haha. Well that's not true, but you'll get what I mean.

I've had many students, and 1 all have potential, there's no one that doesn't have potential, but their attitudes infringe on that. I'll talk about 3 students in particular now. I had one who was my favourite student. He wasn't the best of them, but he wanted to learn and tried his best. And I really enjoyed these lessons. He unfortunately left due to school tutoring needs.

His friend however is a quick learner, by no means is he a great guitarist, he's just a beginner, but he learns quick. Unfortunately he knows this and doesn't practise nearly as much as he could. He's funny, likes playing the 12 bar blues and letting me jam, but hates anything that isn't techno or bullet for my valentine.

Then I have another student. My longest student. Has the WORST attitude ever. And is really sulky. Hasn't progressed at all really because he doesn't practice or take what I say seriously. His attitude is literally 'why learn it when I can't do it'.

So everyone is different.

Although I do have a funny story, I had a student (hardly turned up, hardly practised, his parents blamed him for forgetting his lessons.. Even though they drive him, and he was 11... WHAT THE ****. Anyway my first lesson with this kid, the mother insisted on staying, that was fine, i can undertsand that. But after it, they tried to leave withut paying. The mother insisted the first lesson was complimentary. Don't worry, I got my bloody moolah. Meanwhile he just stopped turning up, I never called him again, **** him.

I also had a student who came one time, and his mother stood out side calling for him to come out. Freak lady. She yelled his name, not in a mean way, just in a you're disturbing the peace way. He never came back. Although 4 months later his dad called (real pr!ck of a guy) and wanted to do lessons. I just never callde back. I know thats bad, but frankly, f*ck em. I wait for lousy students who never call or anything, they think this is a joke. To think i'm teaching some bloody good stuff for a lousy $25 an hour.

I have plenty of info on giving lessons. Personally overall. I love lessons, educating others in something you love is great if you do your best. While they may not benefit, if you try your best to rectify it and they still don't learn, most of the time it's their attitude, so make the most of it, and use it as time to catch up on some chromatic excersises, and get the money. If i'm having that sulky student I spoke of, then half the time, while i'm not explaining why he's using a pick or index + middle fingers and thumb instead of only his thumb, then i'm making him do something (yes to help benefit him, im not a wanker, i dont deny him of his money's worth) and i'm practising my modes, or a jazz song I wrote for a class assessment or something with my volume down.

Thank you SO MUCH for that info, now I'll have a small idea of what to expect.

Just a question for you, when the mother tried to leave without paying, did you manage to get the money nicely? Or did you have to have to fight them for it?

Can you also please tell me ways to indirectly get my money from people who are unwilling?

The only one I know is...

Sorry, don't mean to hassle you, but, there is a $10 fee for each of my lessons.

I really think I sound like a douche if asking someone that, can you please tell me any "nice" ways of getting your money?
If I were to look for a teacher, the primary thing I would be concerned with is large, supple breasts a knowledgeable understanding of theory, scales, chords and chord structure, and technique.
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
just act like a friend and not a teacher
Quote by SlayedInTheFace
I would wank over all of you if I was a gay paedophile who liked simultanous gay wanking
Quote by XianXiuHong

Just a question for you, when the mother tried to leave without paying, did you manage to get the money nicely? Or did you have to have to fight them for it?

Can you also please tell me ways to indirectly get my money from people who are unwilling?

Sorry, don't mean to hassle you, but, there is a $10 fee for each of my lessons.

I really think I sound like a douche if asking someone that, can you please tell me any "nice" ways of getting your money?

Just make sure they know in advance the prices etc. Dont be nice about it, just tell them directly about the money, remind them directly. Never let people leave without paying. If your to nice about it you will get ripped off. Be an arsehole, your a teacher so its fine.
students only want teachers with great skills!

in all seriousness though, if your a beginner then you probably won't want a teacher who just gives you a sheet of scales and tells you to work through them, and kids take guitar lessons for different reasons, some take them to improve playing and technique, others just wanna learn some chords so they can jam with their mates, its gunna change with each student
POST FINDER
Quote by XianXiuHong

Get the money up front, that way there's no excuses like "forgetting" to pay
I've Made You A Drawing of a Giraffe Fucking an Elephant. Notice How His Moustache Looks Just Like Mine.

Your Mother's Got a Penis
Quote by XianXiuHong

Well I was very nice, I didn't raise my voice, but i didn't give her a chance to try and convince me, no umms or errs. I just said, oh you forgot the $20 payment (something along those lines.) as she was walking out of the front door, and she said, oh I thought this was complimentary, to which I said, no i'm sorry, you have to pay.

I think she may've said something next, like, 'but it was complimentary' and tried to convince me that somehow I implied free, I can't remember exactly. But I was stern, but nice. No need for rudeness, in the end, I got my money and said, thanks i'll see you this time next week. And smiled and went inside.

Afterwards I could tell she was experienced at haggling at markets. Nowadays I ask up front for the money, and tell the student to bring it in instead of the parents. (tell them to wait in the car when they pick them up.) Main reason is, they're intimidated by you, but the parents aren't.

Another thing about lessons. Prepare to make less than half of what you expect to make. At one point I couldve been earning $100 ($20 per lesson) a week, but the students are very unreliable because most as I said, have the wrong attitude.
And lay down the rules, that being, the student MUST contact you before your lesson to tell you they aren't coming. It took me a long time to enforce that, many hours could've been better spent rather than waiting 20mins for a student, or a call from the student.

Also, thanks to you I feel like getting more students. At the moment I have 2 , but have room for about 3 or 4 more, which i've been needing for a few months, jeez im a lazy bastard. Now I feel like putting ads up. Oh also, it's good to have them come to your place. Don't waste yours (or your parents).

If you have anything else, just send me a PM bro.

The Gear I Use Most:
Gibson guitars, Les Paul, ES-335, SG and more.
Dunlop Crybaby | Dunlop Volume | Boss TU-2 | Ibanez TS-9 | Maxon AD-999
Planet Waves Custom Leads
Marshall JCM900 (model: 4100 + 4101)

TooJoo The Band