hi, i'm looking into getting a new amp. I currently use a flextone combo but would like a head which would be easier to carry to practice sessions where cabs are available.

I've been looking into ENGL fireballs as they seem pretty well priced and have a great reputation. I mainly play modern hard rock and some metal, so need both a decent clean sound but also a good heavy sound too. I like bands such as Alter Bridge, Nickelback, Disturbed, Killswitch engage, Saliva. The only reservation i have about the fireball is that it only has 1 gain knob for both the clean and hi gain channel, so i'm wondering if to have a good clean sound the distortion sound may be comprimised, or vice versa.

If anyone has any experience with this amp i'd really appreciate some advice on what sort of sounds are achievable with only a single gain control, as i'm unable to try the amp myself.

Thanks a lot in advance
Quote by Lukeisonfire
tool and opeth definitly dont play tube amps . You cant get those distorted sounds out of it. tube is for like beatles stuff right?

Quote by evilbeaver22
You're right, just about the only thing better than a Spider 3 is an MG : )

hey i own the engl fireball and matching 4x12 and dont have any problems with the shared gain as it reacts very well to the change in my guitar volume knobs

there are a lot of footswitch options too, if you plug a two button footswitch in, 1 button controls channel selection and the other controls master volume a or b

i found that if you have a 1 button footswitch and you plug it into the jack at the back of the amp a certain amount into the jack, u can use 1 button to change both channel selection and master volume just like when using the button on the front pannel and no footswitch
Thanks for the response. Any other views? Also how does the fireball's distortion channel suit for the bands i've listed? is it too dark? ideally i'd probably buy a mesa single rectifier but they are roughly twice the price of the fireball in the uk.
Quote by Lukeisonfire
tool and opeth definitly dont play tube amps . You cant get those distorted sounds out of it. tube is for like beatles stuff right?

Quote by evilbeaver22

the fireball's distortion channel should be fine for the bands you've listed, but it's very modern-sounding (which you may or may not like). as you probably know, you have a clean channel, and a modern metal channel.

if you try it and like it, though, that's the main thing.

i didn't think the shared gain control was a major problem, but it's obviously more of a compromise than if there were two.

i guess you should try a blackmore as well, maybe a laney tt and vh100r, marshall jvm, and maybe a koch (if you're willing to buy from e.g. thomann to save money and keep it at a similar budget to the fireball). what kind of budget do you have, anyway? is the fireball at the upper end, or is it flexible?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks for the reply, i was hoping you'd spot the thread as you always have good advice Dave. Asslicking aside :p....The main problem i have is that all the local stores don't seem to carry any of the amps i'm considering, which is obviously a big problem when making such an investment. So i'm judging mainly on sound clips and reputation which i know aren't great things to rely on.

I'm mainly looking to go used, aiming at around £400 as a top limit, though i am tempted into getting a mesa single rectifier for around £750 used, since the majority of the bands i mention seem to go with mesas. However i'm wondering is it really worth the extra money for a mesa in th UK. Other amps other than the engl that have caught my eye are the Peavey xxx and the Line 6 HD147, though i think i should really be looking to ditch the versatility of line 6 (i currently use a flextone) for just a few really good tones that i will primarily use.

Ugh i'm rather confused
Quote by Lukeisonfire

Quote by evilbeaver22

i haven't really tried the higher line 6s, so i can't really help you there, but i know that they have a much better reputation than the spiders.

where are you in the UK? can't promise anything, but maybe there'd be a store nearer to you than you'd think which might stock them...

regarding mesa: it really depends on how badly you want the mesa tone. I don't dislike the mesa tone like some people do, just I don't like them enough to pay a premium for them- i know that in the USA they go for 50%, sometimes even less than 50%, of what they go for in the UK. I haven't tried the single recto, though. Basically, if feel that you're compromising by not getting a mesa, or feel that you're making do with your second choice, then it may be worth the extra to go for the mesa. If not, then it's not, in my opinion.

the peavey xxx is quite nice (but some people don't much like it and think it's a bit sterile); the 5150/6505 would be worth a try as well.

if you were willing to go to £750 used (i assume that's for the head alone?), something like a brunetti xlr-evo might be worth a look (as they can be picked up for £1000 new), but they aren't all that common/well-known, so your guess is as good as mine as to when one might turn up. a genz benz el diablo might be worth a look too, but they seem to polarise opinion quite a lot, so again you'd want to try one (of course, you'd ideally want to try everything you're considering purchasing, just it's extra important with stuff which seems to be only love or hate).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
thx again

I'm from South Wales, so i've come across Cranes which seem to mainly stock randall's and the hd147, and i found a shop with a couple of laney's before, and gamlins in cardiff stocked a mesa and a peavey jsx but thats all iv ever come across :/ so not a lot to go on really.

You raise a very good point on whether i feel as if i'd be settling for second best with anything other than a recto so that's something i'll have to consider, but there's no doubt i'd be paying over the odds for one. Another amp i just thought of was the Hughes and kettner switchblade. I've always skimmed over the 5150 etc due to thinking they were perhaps too dark sounding for my genre and maybe with too poor cleans, but maybe i should take another look at them.

As far as brands i think i'd like to stick with the more common brands as they should be easier to locate used on ebay etc

Thanks again, i think i'm going round in circles lol, but i appreciate your help!
Quote by Lukeisonfire

Quote by evilbeaver22

i didn't really like the switchblade when i tried it- i thought it sounded solid state. But obviously personal preference and all that, and perhaps i was doing something wrong. worth a try, no doubt.

5150 doesn't have great cleans, you're right there. i don't think the tones all that dark (though I do tend not to like too bright tones).

I'm actually not sure of engl dealers in wales. you could maybe try the engl website to find the distributor, and then email to ask them about dealers near you.

don't worry about being indecisive, lol, i'm the most indecisive person ever. It took me over a year to decide what amp to go for, and in the end i went with one i hadn't tried as i got a really good deal... i know what you're going through, in other words.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i've emailed ENGL's distributor to find out a list of UK dealers so hopefully will get a reply shortly. To be honest i think a either a fireball or powerball (depending on whether i can find any good deals :P) will suit my needs perfectly, and i could get a new fireball for the price of a used single recto. I'll just have to see if i can get around to test running one now!

Thanks for your help!
Quote by Lukeisonfire

Quote by evilbeaver22

http://www.youtube.com/user/egoleech

This guy plays hardcore, industrial, nu metal, metalcore and some (pop)punk on his. Most of the clips sound comvincing to me.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Quote by Pete Griffin
i've emailed ENGL's distributor to find out a list of UK dealers so hopefully will get a reply shortly. To be honest i think a either a fireball or powerball (depending on whether i can find any good deals :P) will suit my needs perfectly, and i could get a new fireball for the price of a used single recto. I'll just have to see if i can get around to test running one now!

Thanks for your help!

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
thought i'd reignite this old thread rather than startign a new one...........

Anyone know how Laney gh50l/100 cope with american hard rock sounds using 6l6 tubes? I've always skimmed over these amps before thinking they were always going to have a typical british sound, but would a tube change make the difference?

cheers
Quote by Lukeisonfire

Quote by evilbeaver22