...so I'm looking for a new 4-string. And I want a smaller, lighter, more comfortable bass this time. My 5-string, a Peavey Grind NTB-5, is a great bass. But I just need somehting radically different.

I've been looking for hollowbodies and other lighter basses, but there's a huge problem:

Swedish music stores. None seems to carry hollow basses. Or shortscales. Or any form of good range of products at all, unless you're a guitarist.

However, after enlightening the staff about this problem, 4Sound told me they can order in any bass, as long as i pay for the shipment. To minimize my expenses: What basses do you recommend me trying out first? I found these for a reasonable price at Thomann, which caught my interest:

Ibanez AGB-200
http://www.thomann.de/se/ibanez_agb200tbr.htm

Epiphone Allen Woody Signature
http://www.thomann.de/se/epiphone_allen_woody_rumble_kat.htm

Both are hollow, 30" scale, and at an affordable price at the moment. I've heard good things about both, however the Ibanez seems to get more praise about the seemingly comfortable neck, which makes it a bit more interesting in my opinion. Note that I haven't tried any of them yet, as explained earlier.

What does UG think about these? And do you have any other good recommendations? Thanks in advance.
Fler Ismaskiner!
my brother seems to like the ibanez basses but he owns a peavy and loves it and he also own an epi t bird and he loves that too; im a guitarist so i don't have any real experance with unfortunatly. he did use ibanez as an opition and he looked at and played many of them but listening to me might not be the best option
You find the bass uncomfortable. First question then, is what kind of strap are you using?

A padded 3" strap can make almost any bass comfortable to play.

Hollowbodies have a very distinctive sound, and short scale is generally regarded as detrimental to tone.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by smb
I have an AGB140. It's great, but it's probably not for everyone.

How would you descripe the sound?

I just realized that i haven't told you all what sound I'm after, but I hope It's not too late. I prefer a very growly tone, a bit like these:

F-Zero GX Soundtrack - Bio Rex
http://youtube.com/watch?v=XcY8HPWVoD0

Dream Theater - [the Train Of Thought-sound]
http://youtube.com/watch?v=BnejhuSo9Xo
http://youtube.com/watch?v=L3Ii3xEN7X0

I'm not looking to just copy these sounds, more like being able to get that sort of growl. If I would need any pedals, please recommend me some.

If the sound would be completely impossible, I don't really mind, actually. I love experimenting with my tone, finding new wonderful ways to enhance the music. As previously stated, comfort and playability is top priority in this case. I already have a 5-string with a sound i like, so i won't really miss out on anything be getting the "wrong" bass.

I hope you understand , i think it's mostly the caffeine talking.
Fler Ismaskiner!
Quote by gm jack
You find the bass uncomfortable.

Not really uncomfortable, I just feel the need for a change. It's the same thing in roleplaying games, after playing a melee dps-class and getting a bit tired of it, I play a ranged support-class for some time, then I enjoy the melee dps more afterwards.

Or, for the non-nerds: You know how your house feels alot nicer when you come home after a long relaxing vacation? Sort of like that. Variety is my cup of tea.
Fler Ismaskiner!
Please leave out the double-posting and the ridiculous metaphors.

I can see what you're thinking...you want the light weight of a hollow body and the speed of a short scale instrument but you're way off if you think you'll get a Myung tone from a hollow.
ibanez, if you want something growly hollow short scale basses arnt gona do those sounds very well.
but ibanez btb305 growls like a mother****er, you could get the 4 strings version. or the ibanez sr ranges, they are known for their versatility and comfort to play and their tone is pretty good.
other growly basses around that price tag that are easy to play with(since you want short scale) are ESP LTD basses. very versatile as well.
EDIT: Thomann is awsome, i got both of my basses and my amp from there.
hollowbody and growl? in one bass???, not really common, usually people want their hollowbodys to have warm quiet sound, not growly agresive sounds,
if you are looking for the growl check out ibanez SRX series or ATK or a P bass if you want a full but still growly tone
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
hmmm i like the peavey grind bass i have a peavey grind 4 string and it plays like 1200$ bass ive never been happier with a bass i purchased. plus its string through and thruneck so its good enough for me. umm a good bass for growl i think might be a thunderbird they make some good basses even the epiphones if you dont wanna spend to much.
bass - That thing that goes bum bum bum.
Quote by smb
Please leave out the double-posting and the ridiculous metaphors.

I can see what you're thinking...you want the light weight of a hollow body and the speed of a short scale instrument but you're way off if you think you'll get a Myung tone from a hollow.

Myung tone? shure he can get it. Volume at 0.
Quote by smb

As stated in the opening post, I have no means of trying out a hollowbody or shortscale, so I just write down some thoughts, and hope for some help from you guys to clear it up and get some facts. I realize that the tone isn't very easy to achieve, but honestly, comfort and playability is top priority in this. And who knows, there might be a hollowbody that can give me that sort of growl? I don't. Or at least, didn't before i asked here.

On the Allen Woody sig, I'm a bit worried the tone might be too muddy with both the pups so close to the neck.

Once again (sorry), I'm just looking for some suggestions about what to order in for testing. My thoughts are just thoughts, and I found it better to write them down than leaving them out, I have no real experience with hollowbodies.
Fler Ismaskiner!
The best short-scale is still the fender Mustang, it's not a hollow-body but its very light, and got a unique tone, and it's pretty, and I have one,and Im amazing,dont you wanna be like me TS? Get a Mustang and you're halfway there!!

In all seriousness, they are nice basses, and the string-thry design helps combat the sustain problem of short-scale, only 19 frets tho . but that's more than a T-Bird gives you
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
Quote by skippy_moogoose
The best short-scale is still the fender Mustang, it's not a hollow-body but its very light, and got a unique tone, and it's pretty, and I have one,and Im amazing,dont you wanna be like me TS? Get a Mustang and you're halfway there!!

In all seriousness, they are nice basses, and the string-thry design helps combat the sustain problem of short-scale, only 19 frets tho . but that's more than a T-Bird gives you

this man speaks true. almost. Guild Starfire with active EQ is better.

though I have never played an active mustang...

5 more points.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Shortscales always have this terrible floppy feeling to the strings. Can't stand em.
Quote by Zycho
Shortscales always have this terrible floppy feeling to the strings. Can't stand em.

But it must be the same thing as a downtuned regular scale bass? Or is it really that noticeable difference on a shortscale?
Fler Ismaskiner!
Quote by Eklund
But it must be the same thing as a downtuned regular scale bass? Or is it really that noticeable difference on a shortscale?

I find it really noticable. Downtuned regular scale basses generally up the string guage a bit if they are seriously downtuning, and still often feel floppy.

Short scale offers no benefits in my eyes that are even close to the losses.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
I tune my mustang to drop D for some of my bands song, and it's not really floppy to be honest, only one string downtuned tho I guess
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
Quote by Eklund
Not really uncomfortable, I just feel the need for a change. It's the same thing in roleplaying games, after playing a melee dps-class and getting a bit tired of it, I play a ranged support-class for some time, then I enjoy the melee dps more afterwards.

Or, for the non-nerds: You know how your house feels alot nicer when you come home after a long relaxing vacation? Sort of like that. Variety is my cup of tea.

Dude, this is the internet; we are all nerds
Quote by Eklund

Vacation? i wont be able to stand the time being away from my computer desk for a day let along a vacation. and you dont get internet on vacations, no internet = no ug = HELL.

i normally play 35" bass, and when i play on my mate's short scale, i just dont get that satisfaction cos the frets are soo tiny! and the tone you want is hard to achieve with short scale basses. if you really want a short scale bass, use a capo on your five strings on the fith fret and pretend the bottom B string is you e string and the neck is short scale, that way you get all the goodness of the short scale without the sloppyness of the strings.
I agree with looking at thomann.de. It is a great site with cheap prices, and if you spend over 199 euros you get free postage.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
Quote by shinhoman
I agree with looking at thomann.de. It is a great site with cheap prices, and if you spend over 199 euros you get free postage.

x

The links in the opening posts are from Thomann, but I want to try the bass before I buy it. So I'm really only looking for tips and opinions about what models I should ask my local store to order in for testing, as they told me they could do so if I pay the shipping costs. And because of that cost I don't really feel like ordering in a dozen different basses for an epic testing session, as that would probably render me unable to actually buy the bass afterwards.
Fler Ismaskiner!
take a trip to germany where thomann is based, im sure it would be cheaper than to order half a dozen basses.
Quote by jb_reborn
take a trip to germany where thomann is based, im sure it would be cheaper than to order half a dozen basses.

Maybe it would, however I had hoped some people on UG more experienced than me would help me with some opinions and suggestions to eliminate the need to order that half a dozen of basses. I really appreciate the help I have gotten here so far.

But someone who has tried out the basses I mentioned in the opening post? Which one do you prefer, and why? What sorts of tone can be achieved? Strengths and weaknesses? Any kind of help is very welcome.
Fler Ismaskiner!