Hi, I've been playing guitar for two and a half years and i was wondering if anyone had some tips on how to memorize songs (I'm trying to learn For the Love of God by Steve Vai). Also I was wondering if anyone had any tips on where i should go from this point. I know the A Major Pentatonic scale and a couple chords (A, Am, G, D, E, Em, Dm, C, and some other varients). I also know a couple riffs, but I'm confused on where to go from here. I would like to start improvising but I dont know where to start. If anyone could help me then thank you.
Quote by NGD1313
Yes, my mom walked in on me getting my carrot skinned.

So I freaked out and flipped the vegetable tray.

There was ranch everywhere.
well you have a decent bit of theory there, more than a lot of people I know. write a track that has a root note of A, just a simple chord progression and make up a lead on it using the A Major you know already.
as for memorising I don't put in any effort to memorise, i just do it. play the song slowly reading how its played and it'll come to you.
so from where you are now start to write your own stuff.
its pretty simple, follow the scale and it'll sound decent almost no matter what you do.
most of the time i can just glance at the tab and have it in a couple of minutes, unless its like hendrix or a solo caz i cant memerize those at a glance haha to many notes to fit in my head at once
repetition is everything, take it slow at first, it helps to know have listened to the song before and recognized any repeating bits of its structure. :Make sure to take it as slow as needed, accuracy is everything, speed is secondary. I don't remember exactly how difficult that Steve Vai song was (I know the intro riffs are rather slow, but some parts of the song can be particularly technical) , but I wouldn't recommend learning many of his songs at an early stage.
For the Steve Vai song I know the intro riffs but not all that well.

Also if I wanted to start alternate picking how would I work my way up to fast alternate picking? I try to alternate pick my A Major Pentatonic and I go slow, but if I even try to speed up I hear skips in between strings.
Quote by NGD1313

Last edited by Gorre at Jul 19, 2008,
lern riffs/songs sections at a time,

like, if you have a massive passage of a bagilion notes (shredding)

learn the first 5 notes, which you should be a ble to do from memory, then play the 5 with another 2, then another etc. untill you have it memorized

but, with something like, the tapping from building the church, you can look for patterns to make it easyer.

patterns are generally the key to memorising, that way you play pattern A then B then C etc.

rather than notes A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H,I etc..
*Enter Sig Here*
Quote by Gorre
For the Steve Vai song I know the intro riffs but not all that well.

Also if I wanted to start alternate picking how would I work my way up to fast alternate picking? I try to alternate pick my A Major Pentatonic and I go slow, but if I even try to speed up I hear skips in between strings.

Buy a metronome, if you don't have one use www.metronomeonline.com or if you look around a bit you can find drum software (I use a free program called Hydrogen). Make small increases in tempo, play each note as evenly and cleanly as possible before increasing the tempo. Maybe not what you want to hear, but increasing in little bits seems to be the most effective method.
alternate pick slowly.

starting slow and building up speed s the only way to do it.

invest in a metronome.

out of curiosity.. how can you have been playing for 2 + years and not know how to alternate pick.
*Enter Sig Here*
Whe I learn songs, I play the song on the guitar while listening to it over my speakers.
Eventually, the song just comes naturally.
I dunno about improvising, I can't even get the hang of it...
Quote by Hale_91
alternate pick slowly.

starting slow and building up speed s the only way to do it.

invest in a metronome.

out of curiosity.. how can you have been playing for 2 + years and not know how to alternate pick.

I've been playing guitar for about 2 years, and only learned about the wonders of alternate picking 5 months ago...
I definitly can do it fast now, and the only reason I learned it so late was the fact that I was self taught for a little more than a year, and my teach dumped every scale in existance within 2 months.
I know how to alternate pick but just not fast.
Quote by NGD1313