If there's 1 ♭ in sheet music does that automatically say that the song is in the key of F?
yep, and the flat is "B"
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
or the relative minor to F which is D minor

damn someone already got it before me.
"Member of the UG Pink Floyd Fan club PM stonegolem13 or nick dixon to join

love The Evil Dead films? Join my group: http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/boomstick/

Quote by pepsi1187
not to mention herbert from family guy will touch you in your sleep
Quote by 08L1V10N
What do you mean?
1 flat sign in the key signature is F major (or d minor ) and the note thats flattened to achieve F (from C major) is B. So F major is FGABbCDEF.
        |\
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Just cos a song has one flat doesn't necessarily mean it's in the key of F major. It could be G Dorian, A Phrygian, Bb Lydian, C Mixolydian, D minor/Aeolian, E Locrian, D harmonic minor... the list goes on. Any of the modes that are related to F major.
Quote by cokeisbetter
Just cos a song has one flat doesn't necessarily mean it's in the key of F major. It could be G Dorian, A Phrygian, Bb Lydian, C Mixolydian, D minor/Aeolian, E Locrian, D harmonic minor... the list goes on. Any of the modes that are related to F major.
Those are modes. A song isnt in the key of *said mode*. It can be based of *said mode* but ultimately its in a *said key*.

And harmonic minor has a Bb and a C#.
        |\
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Quote by demonofthenight
Those are modes. A song isnt in the key of *said mode*. It can be based of *said mode* but ultimately its in a *said key*.

And harmonic minor has a Bb and a C#.

I believe it would also say something like, "Key signature denotes G Dorian."
Quote by cokeisbetter
D Harmonic Minor isn't a key; the key is D minor and still uses one flat in the key signature. (That question was actually my first post in MT.)

And if you're writing modally, you would eaither write your G Dorian piece with two flats and use nat signs by the Es, or write a note that the one flat denotes G Dorian.