Page 1 of 2
hmm well ive been listening to alot of tool stuff lately. makes me wanna make some strange sounds on my bass and i was wondering if you guys had any ideas. ive been messing with tv remotes my sisters toys and stuff like coins and peices of metal to get some cool sounds. the bass im doing this on has a killswitch too so if you could work that in it would be cool too. just wondering if you guys have any ideas thanks. =]]
bass - That thing that goes bum bum bum.
Whammy pedal, flanger, whammy bar scraped across the strings, analog watches.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Dave Navarro played guitar with a Vibrator. That was pretty sweet.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by Heartika
i was wondering if you guys had any ideas. ive been messing with my sisters toys
Er...what?

Tool's bass playing isn't particularly experimental. There's only so much you can do with effects to hide the fact you only know D minor.
ummm my sisters are like 8 and 4 if that clears the toys thing up they play with little kid toys ya pervs. but ummm im not looking to hide anything and im just saying that tool has some pretty impressive sounds and it made me wanna try something new.
I do a lot of hitting my bass whilst doing different things with the strings. I can get a sound pretty close to the drones at the beginning of Parabol that way. If you have a low B, mute all the other strings, with the end of finger resting closely to the low B and hit your bass. If you do it right, it drones.
Point a TV remote at your pickups

i swear it works on one of mybasses
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
i did that it makes this cool chirpy sound! and some other stuff. wonder if a lightbulb would do anything
oooo i know one

if you get an ipod, or some other mp3 player with a hardrive in it, and put it next to one of your pickups, when you choose a song and play it you can hear the hardrive spinning round at like a thousand miles an hour
ummm smb was that sarcasim cause im realy considering trying it?

hamish do you think a psp will work?
Quote by Heartika
ummm smb was that sarcasim cause im realy considering trying it?

hamish do you think a psp will work?

ignore him. he was deprived of Led Zeppelin as a child, and is thus, a big meanie.

I used to tap with a ring on, used it for little swipes, sounded pretty interesting.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by 666hamish666
oooo i know one

if you get an ipod, or some other mp3 player with a hardrive in it, and put it next to one of your pickups, when you choose a song and play it you can hear the hardrive spinning round at like a thousand miles an hour

I heard that's bad for the pick-ups, not 100% sure though.

Hmm, try different pedals and keep using different objects, i once got some weird sounds with a flanger and delay once on a friends bass.
What I want in my rig (Bold = gear I have):
Ibanez SZ-520QM
Vintage VECJ100BK
Epiphone Dot
Laney VC15
Boss GE7
Boss SD1
Zoom G2
hmmm that sounds like a cool idea. thanks guys ill go mess around some more. oh and i found out that if i use a slide and only use the top and bottem and kinda slide/tap the strings and use my killswitch at the same time i get some pretty interesting sounds =]]
Its bad for the ipod or hard drive more, it can wipe them if the magnets put out from the Pups are strong enough, shouldnt have any ill effects on your Pups.
well i dont have an ipod cause im lacking funds so it doesnt really matter i guess.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I actually contribute a complete lack of Led Zeppelin in my listening to my extreme awesomeness.

but you also are a big meanie, proving my point further.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Use a delay pedal
mute the strings
scratch the strings at the same time
move your hand down from the bridge up to the nut
(not fretted, just put your fretting hand on the strings)

*trickllllleeeeeee*
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
muting the strings and tapping up and down the neck makes some cool weird sounds, add a bit of chorus, instant atmospheric ambient weirdness...
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
ooo i found another

get an empty can, and the bottom of it along the strings near the pickups

that makes a rather strange sound
Use an electric drill right in front of the pickups.

Use a flanger and do short pick slides right next to the bridge really
the can thing sounds pretty cool this is waht i was talking about cool sounds like this that could be ambient background sounds like tool uses. just instead of being all fancy im just dragging an empty can across my strings. whatever its creative so keep them comming and im sure ill find the perfect one soon.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I actually contribute a complete lack of Led Zeppelin in my listening to my extreme awesomeness.

Off the topic, but I have to agree with this guy
I can't think of a witty response to that without mentioning either masturbation or Nazis.
Quote by smb
I can't think of a witty response to that without mentioning either masturbation or Nazis.

That sounds like a great party theme...
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

hahaha umm im just trying to further my musical abilities so i do find that useful besides im learing alotta new stuff lately workin on the album lateralus by tool. anyone learned the whole cd yett? pretty uhh pretty hard.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Yup... HE'S FAMOUS!

Hmmm...

We need a new theme then.

Masturbation and Cave-people?

COMMUNISTS!

We can do communism!
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

Quote by Heartika
hahaha umm im just trying to further my musical abilities so i do find that useful besides im learing alotta new stuff lately workin on the album lateralus by tool. anyone learned the whole cd yett? pretty uhh pretty hard.

Lateralus was probably the first album I learnt straight through about 3 years ago. It's mostly dead easy actually, with exception to Reflection (alternating between natural and artificial harmonics is a pain)
i made a really cool effect by using chorus + my digitech synth wah in wah mode and the expresion pedal of my zoom b2.1 the trick is i put the volume down whith the expresion pedal then play a natural harmonic then i press the expression pedal and it spund like feedback

you can check that sound in one of my song called biosphere pt 1 on my profile
Use delay hit some high harmonics and scream into your pickups!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Quote by Heartika

its actually really easy......

I like to set up two delays at once, one repeating at roughly 260 ms - 300 ms and the other at 680 - 800 ms. Don't use lots of volume from either one, because it can muddy up your sound alot, but when you find an equilibrium, you can create some class ambient stuff.
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
yea i dont know i havnt really looked at the tabs for lateralus yet but it just sounds like theres alot of time signature changes. anyone tried to emulate the scratching tom morrolello thing on a bass? i cant seem to get it right. i have a killswitch on one of my basses and it still doesnt really work. what am i doing wrong?
Page 1 of 2