As my GAS is coming on, I am begining to wonder why even 1x12 would have a variety of physical cabinet size.

I can understand (somewhat) of the logic behind the wider cab of a Blues Deluxe comapre to Blues Junior: larger PT, larger OT + more feature = need more physical space. What I am wondering is say, 15w Tube amps: The physical size of teh Valve Senior is similar to the size for the Valve Junior cab, which is larger than my Blues Junior; and many other 15w tube amps seems to be larger, too. Take the Marshall 18w; size is the same as a Hot Rod Deluxe

And gettign back to a larger wattage = larger size, a good counter examples are many Mesa 1x12 amps. Mark I, or even Mark II, and even up to F-50, all seems to be no larger than my Blues Junior – And they do have 4x4 6L6 and a larger PT and OT.

In such light, is there valid reasons why larger cab is better?
Ibanez SA-120 (ed.2006)
BluesJr 1996-B + cathode follower + texas Heat
Crate CPB150
Homemade 4 x 10 cab Bass closeback
Metal Muff
Larger isn't necessarily better.....just different. It's all subjective. It pretty much all has to do with air volume and the way the air moves, and literally everything (cab size, port size, cab shape, elevation above sea level, whether it's raining or not, etc.) will affect the sound in one way or another.

Builders consider many factors when designing amp/speaker cabs, sometimes it's all about the tone, sometimes it has to do with shipping size, etc. There is no "perfect size" cab, as we all have different tonal needs.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Not really. Just to do with speaker size and cab layout. Sometimes it's for aesthetics - like the 18w cabinet resembling a mini Bluesbreaker cab... Chassis size and layout makes a big part too, as well as PT and OT size, the presence of Chokes/Reverb xformers, and reverb tanks too.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by MrCarrot
Not really. Just to do with speaker size and cab layout. Sometimes it's for aesthetics - like the 18w cabinet resembling a mini Bluesbreaker cab... Chassis size and layout makes a big part too, as well as PT and OT size, the presence of Chokes/Reverb xformers, and reverb tanks too.

Then I really have to wonder the logic behidn a larger cab mentality. If we decide to use component as an argument, then we have to ask why the 100w Mesa Mark I and II, which have 4 12ax7 and 4 6L6 (plus, PT, OT, and reverb transformer) is the same size as a princeton (or rather, fit all these into a princeton), which is the same size as a Blues Junior... yet Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, traynor YCv50, ValveKing, and plenty other 50w 1x12 amps are much larger than than Mark I.
Ibanez SA-120 (ed.2006)
Crate CPB150
Metal Muff
Why not? Number of knobs makes a difference too. More features, the cab has to be wider. Notice that with the difference between the Blues Jr, Pro Jr and HRD - I imagine the early mesas are quite simple amps?
different-sized cabs will have a different tone.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Larger cabs will tend to have more bass and a larger sound, even with the same speaker. It's a matter of how the amp is voiced and what the amp maker thinks is best.
I see. The reason I am asking is that most amp books when talking about cabinet only address depth, closed back, and open back, but did not really address the width and height of a cabinet.

And Mark-I's circuit, schematic wise, is no worse than Mark II or Mark III (somewhat).

But as someone pointed out, I forgot the knobs. Mesa seems to enjoy using tiny knobs, while many "vintage style" use large chicken heads. Thanks for pointing that out
Ibanez SA-120 (ed.2006)
Crate CPB150
Metal Muff
Well depth, height and width are all equal to volume, which gives the extra bass.
People are right. I ordered a wide body closed back 1x12" because I prefer a little more bass and thump than a smaller open backed cab would have given. Also, a wider 1x12" cab sits better under some heads, width-wise.