I’m in desperate need of UG’s tube amp wisdom…

My band has a very important festival gig next weekend and my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe sounds ill. When I crank the volume past 4, what was once clean and sparkly – is now horribly muddy and distorted. I’ve had this amp for about five or sixth months, it has the stock tubes, but I didn’t expect to need to change them this quickly.

The real problem is – there’s nowhere in town or around who can test the tubes for me to see if that really is the problem. I also have no idea how to replace them, so I really need some advice. Do I buy new tubes and try and do it myself? Is there a guide I can use?

And if so – should I get the tubes as what came as stock? I really loved the original tone, but if there’s something out there with a similar clean sound which is more reliable, then I guess I should try those.

*I have looked at the tube thread, but it’s a confusing mess. Sorry!
I have the same type of amp, and it sounds like your power tubes are going. If you play the amp at loud volumes alot, the power tubes go quicker. If I were you I would take it to a repair shop.

If you don't have any shops around where you live, you can try getting a set or the same set as the stock 6L6 tubes and install them yourself to see if it fixes it. Its not very difficult to do. Almost like putting in a lightbulb.

First you unplug the amp from the wall outlet. Then just gently pull out the 2 big tubes through the hole in the back right near the speaker. Then just install the new tubes in either socket. Its rather easy because the tubes have only one way to go in and you just have to make sure they're in all the way. You could also try biasing the amp so it takes full advantage of the tubes, but its not really needed for the amp to work.
yeah, just go to the nearest guitar center and pick up some cheap groove tubes for $50. should do the trick
Quote by yorkshireterror
Dunlop's got the right idea
Oh yeah, only took me a few months
Founder of the "I Support Robert Keeley Mods," if you like them too, put this in your sig!

i <3 breakdowns
yah go to the nearest pawn shopt or guitar place and try to nick some power tubes thats what i do when my pair is going. its easy especially on the blues deluxe amps cause they dont have a grill covering them, just reach in the back of the amp and pull, very easy.
Save some money and buy a sack or some beer with it.
Quote by TheKaiser77
yah go to the nearest pawn shopt or guitar place and try to nick some power tubes thats what i do when my pair is going. its easy especially on the blues deluxe amps cause they dont have a grill covering them, just reach in the back of the amp and pull, very easy.
Save some money and buy a sack or some beer with it.

Are you suggesting he steal the tubes out of another amp?

Lame
thats not cool kaiser.
esp. considering every pawn shop ive ever seen is owned by an old man. its not like its a huge company that can just right it off in there taxes. screw you!
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Well I'm ordering a Blues Junior tomorrow (which I've always planned to get as a practice amp) just in-case I suffer from an epic fail. I'm pretty sure the band will have a PA so that'll work.

So I'll try replacing the power tubes first then. Sounds quite straight forward.

The whole concept of biasing is a bit worrying though - if I don't do that, will it effect the tone of the tubes?
biasing just gets the best possible sound from the tubes that you can. as before, it doesn't mean the amp won't work or anything. as far as tone, if you never had your amp biased before, you won't tell the difference.
Quote by yorkshireterror
Dunlop's got the right idea
Oh yeah, only took me a few months
Founder of the "I Support Robert Keeley Mods," if you like them too, put this in your sig!

i <3 breakdowns
You dont see tube testers anymore. And the more you use an amp and louder you run it the faster they go out. I have had the same set for 2 years but it doesnt get used every day. And stealing tubes out of other amps is a good way to get arrested. Also the tubes in a pawn shop amp are just as likely to be going out as be good. Figures a pot head would think this is a good plan.
Only a complete tool steals anything, mega tools steal tubes... Grab a couple 6L6's and you should be set. You could get the stock tubes, they should be fine if you liked them before. I would experiment though. Certainly there is a store near you that you can buy them right?
@ thread.

+1 to new power tubes.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?