I cannot seem to do it. I get the quietest little noise, but that's all I can seem to do. I also don't see how you can do it with your thumb, so I use my finger.

What am I doing wrong? Is it my amp setting? My guitar? Am I doing it on the wrong part of my guitar?

Help?
LARGE TEXT
use a pick for one thing. secondly good overdrive/distortion is very important. thirdly every guitar has a different "sweet spot" and this is exactly on what string a pinch sounds best, its very hard to explain but you have to find your "sweet spot" yourself.
Last edited by Engel22 at Jul 19, 2008,
Make sure you have a good amount of gain, and the volume on your guitar is somewhat high. Remember to use some bending/vibrato. Using downstrokes will work better as well. Also, when you get used to it, you should learn how picking the string at different places will affect your harmonics.

For using your thumb, you need to "pinch" the string with the bottom of your thumb while choking up on the pick a little. There're a few youtube videos that can help.
I still don't get how you can hit it with your thumb right afterwards. To get my thumb to touch the string, I actually have to turn my hand sideways.

Can you give me the link to those videos?
LARGE TEXT
Quote by Holy.
I still don't get how you can hit it with your thumb right afterwards. To get my thumb to touch the string, I actually have to turn my hand sideways.

Can you give me the link to those videos?

yes turn you're hand sideways. that is pretty much how you do it. also, pinch harmonics' sounds are about 70% amp. if you odnt have the right amp, pinch harmonics wont come out right or wont come out at all. use a thicker pick. hold it short, like 3-4 mm out. pinching is easy once you get the basics and practice it.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Yes your tone and amp will have a large effect on the clarity of the harmonic frequency coming through, and the sweet spot mentioned altho is different a lot of the time the sweet spots you are looking for are called Nodes, widway points on the string that sound a harmonic of the fretted note just like a Natural Harmonic.

It sounds like you are on the right track with the technique, keep that pick choked and almost pluck right where the pick and your thumb meet, pluck up and down the string, you'll notice sometimes you don't get a harmonic and sometimes you do, sometimes its louder and sometimes its quiter, and also you will hear different pitched harmonics.

These spots you find are the Nodes, convieniently enough there is a good'un right around where your pick usually lies. Also a lot of the time (for me anyways) the A through B strings are the easiest to get a clear harmonic, both E strings seem to take a slightly different attack to get the clarity.

Keep practicing and experiementing, and mess around with your tone a bit, boost your mids and treble some, thatll give the harmonics a boost.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
ive learned that you should use only ur thumb.

Your nail will hit the string and then the flesh of ur thumb will naturally follow.
once u get a few squeals there...that will help u understand how the pick should
be grazing the string and then ur flesh.

You need to dig in too man. If you want to do some really good harmonics, you
can't treat your guitar like you are afraid of being a little rough.

Last of all the harmonic response comes mostly from your amp and pickup
combination. If you have a weak amp..they will come out slightly..but you
just need more gain...however you can still perfect the technique.

Tricks are high gain amps...hot overdrive pedals..chorus can bring them out..
compression...and distortion can bring them out as well..but with distortion
pedals..alot have gain boosting..so they can have the distortion cut and be used
as OD pedals as well.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Last edited by Washburnd Fretz at Jul 19, 2008,