I've just put together an electric from an old strat body and a 24 fret ibanez neck. I've set everything up and the electrics are all functioning but I'm having a bit of trouble with the neck.

Is it normal on a 24 for everything to move up a fret when you play it; for example my harmonics now sound at the 13th instead of the 12th. It means once I get up around the 12th I have to play everything one fret hire to get the right notes as on a 21 or 22. Is this normal? If not, any suggestions on how to fix it?
It's not normal. Sounds like the intonation is off and that type neck is not made for that type of body.
Schecter C-1 Elite
Gretsch 5120
Fender Ultra-Chorus Amp
strat bodies need 22 fret necks or else it throws everything off
Quote by masterk1818
Ya well when i wrestle/play with my dog he sometimes jumps on my back and starts humping me. But should he be doing this if he is neutered?

Quote by InvaderTSN
Wrestle with him naked. He'll ruv you rong time.

flickr
Quote by SeveralSpecies

....no homo?
You used a neck of the wrong scale length. I think Ibanez is like 25.5" and Fender is like 24.75" or something like that. You have a couple of options here though. Either A) keep it the way it is and just get used to playing differently, B) buy a Fender neck, or C) fill the bridge holes, hardtail it, and drop the bridge back to the proper sale length.
my strat has 21 frets and it works fine, but i think the 24 fret neck is too big for the body of a strat
Quote by Havok19

Or a 21 fret neck made to Fender specs, these have bigger spacing between each fret so that the scale stays intonated.

To make a long story short, get a neck that's made to Fender specs, you won't be disappointed.
I love music, if music would be a girl then I'd date her, until then let's get back on Earth
the length between the bridge and nut is not right as a neck with 24 frets is longer than one with 22 frets.

either get a new neck or move the bridge.

with a little edit:

Quote by LuthierofTexas
You used a neck of the wrong scale length. I think Ibanez is like 25.5" and Fender is like 24.75" or something like that. You have a couple of options here though. Either A) keep it the way it is and just get used to playing differently, B) buy a Fender neck, or C) fill the bridge holes, hardtail it, and drop the bridge back to the proper sale length.

wouldn't it be impossible to keep the 24 fretted neck without changing the bridge since every fret would become slightly out of tune aswell? or am I understandning things wrong?
Last edited by rasker at Jul 19, 2008,
couldn't you just move the bridge lower to even it out? or is that what LuthyTexas said in option C)?

Edit: do you have pictures? and is it a SSS or a HSS? cause if a 24 fret was installed properlly on a strat the fretboard would actually run over the space that the neck pick up is supposed to be...
The octave harmonic will occur on the string at the halfway point between the nut and the bridge. Since you put a longer neck on the strat body, you shifted that point. In order to get the harmonics to "slide back" to the 12th fret, you need to move the bridge back. You might be able to get enough movement from the adjustable saddle, if not you will have to reroute the bridge cavity on the body (good luck with that).
Strats are 25.5", just like Ibanez. Number of frets should have nothing to do with scale length. If anything, you had to remove your neck pickup to make things fit. Either I got my **** wrong or I have no idea what could be wrong.
Last edited by Whiskky at Jul 19, 2008,
Quote by Havok19

My strat copy has a 21 fret neck, no problems...
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Quote by VanTheKraut
My strat copy has a 21 fret neck, no problems...

i think he meant 24 frets won't work....
Quote by rasker
wouldn't it be impossible to keep the 24 fretted neck without changing the bridge since every fret would become slightly out of tune aswell? or am I understandning things wrong?

Yeah, but the out of tune notes would only be slightly off. I mean a noticeable amount off, but not like who two or three notes off.

Quote by Whiskky
Strats are 25.5", just like Ibanez. Number of frets should have nothing to do with scale length. If anything, you had to remove your neck pickup to make things fit. Either I got my **** wrong or I have no idea what could be wrong.

Yeah, the number of frets and scale length go hand in hand, cause while they may have the same scale length, the frets are spaced a precise distance apart to make each not lie in the proper position. So not to be rude, but in this case you are mistaken.
So, more experienced people correct me if I'm wrong, but he's actually got a guitar with something like a 26" scale length now, right? 'Coz that'd be why it's off. I suppose you could take the frets out, fill 'em in and re-fret it... Then again, there must be a reason I've never heard of a 26" standard guitar.
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
Quote by Strat_Monkey
So, more experienced people correct me if I'm wrong, but he's actually got a guitar with something like a 26" scale length now, right? 'Coz that'd be why it's off. I suppose you could take the frets out, fill 'em in and re-fret it... Then again, there must be a reason I've never heard of a 26" standard guitar.

Well no, I was wrong about the scale length of a Fender as oppose to an Ibanez. They are indeed both 25.5" scale lengths. So his guitar would still be a 25.5" scale. However the fret positions are off. On a Fender they would end up being spaced wider as it got closer to the end of the neck. Its not more then a few millimeter off at each fret, but its the actual fret wire positions that are now off. Thats why his intonation is messed up.
Yeah, yeah, but isn't the neck longer than a Fender neck would be, thus adding to the scale length? Surely it would be, because Ibanez necks would have to be set further into the body for the 24th fret to be in the right place (approximately where the Strat's neck p'up is)?
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
Yeah, basically. The body of a Fender is a bit longer from the leading edge of the neck pocket to a the back edge of the body. Ibanez neck pockets are cut deeper into the body. Thats why Ibanez pickups usually look crowded. And the length of the Ibanez leading edge of the neck pocket to the back edge of the body is a shorter distance then that on a Fender. So...
Quote by Whiskky

no sure but i thin strats are 24.75 or maybe ibanez are 24.75 i am not sure
but anyways even if they are the same scale the neck could be longer in the ibanez
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Quote by litus
no sure but i thin strats are 24.75 or maybe ibanez are 24.75 i am not sure
but anyways even if they are the same scale the neck could be longer in the ibanez

No, both are 25.5". As I see it, that scale lenght is almost inherent to strats and superstrats, bar baritones.
Take a tape measure and go from the bridge to the 12th fret, now measure from the nut to the 12th fret. These two measurements should be the same, intonation.

The difference between the 21 fret and 22 fret fenders, is basically they add on another fret to the end that doesn't sit in the neck pocket, it kind of sticks out over the body and therefore on some types of guitars in rare instances it could actually get in the way of the neck pickup. Warmoth makes necks like this, they also have them where you can add up to 24, but they warn you that you might have to remove your neck pickup.

Either way, you have the wrong neck on your guitar.