Ok, so I'm looking into recording some original songs, but I need some good recording software that could work on a fairly slow computer. It's a dell dimensionL500r, it's only a pentium 3.... we've had it since around 1999 or 2000. So... I need some recording software that could work well on a relatively slow computer.

Thanks!
Favorite bands at the moment:
1. Tool
2. Porcupine Tree
3. Between the Buried and Me
4. Queens of the Stone Age
5. Soundgarden
6. Pearl Jam
7. Buckethead
8. Green Day
i use cubase LE, weather it works on a slow computer or not i dont know, probably would do just as much on either one.
I used Audacity when I had a slow computer, not exactly the best quality, but it should do fine.
Quote by Ichimaru
I've always wanted to meet a really hot readhead so that I could tell her name is Moses and I'm here to see the burning bush.
See if you can get a hold of any earlier versions of software. The stuff that was written with computers like that in mind. The first version of Cubase SX looks about right.

http://www.steinbergcanada.com/products/cubase/cubase_sx_sl_system_requirements.htm

Dunno where you'd get it though....

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Desktops can be had for cheap these days. Keep an eye out on slickdeals.net for something. I got my acer for $200 and put $200 into it to turn it into a nice DAW.
Its nothing top notch however I run Sonar Producer 7 with fair results.
Quote by moody07747
Desktops can be had for cheap these days. Keep an eye out on slickdeals.net for something. I got my acer for $200 and put $200 into it to turn it into a nice DAW.
Its nothing top notch however I run Sonar Producer 7 with fair results.

I agree. I got Gateway E6000 (which was one of their professional workstations boxes), full tower, CD/R-DVD drive, 512 meg of RAM, 40 gig HD for $200. I bumped the RAM to 1 gig, added a 160 gig HD as a second drive and a Firewire card all total for around $275. Works just fine as a recording box (I do my mixing on my Compaq desktop but I could it in on that box easily enough).

Tony
Good point. I saw an Acer Aspire here in Canada - something to the effect of:
2.5 Ghz Celeron processor
60 GB HD
512 MB RAM
DVD-R/W
WindowsXP or Vista

$300.

You can't build your own for cheaper than that these days. (like you used to be able to) Hell, just the RAM and the Windows disk would run you that.

This is a measurably (at least as it appears on the surface) stronger machine than what I run in my studio (Celeron 1.7 Ghz / 512MB RAM), and my computer handled the task of recording our album with Cubase SX2 just fine. (each song upwards to 36 tracks of 24 bit audio, plus fx processing as needed)

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

mine came with vista and just 512mb RAM, the first thing I did was upgrade the RAM to 1GB (later I got up to 2) and put a cheap $100 video card in it. I suggest doing this if you are forced to go with vista. It made a HUGE improvement in the speed of the computer.

The single core 1.2GHz processor still lags if I do a large song in Sonar however its still running strong.
Last edited by moody07747 at Jul 19, 2008,
Quote by axemanchris
See if you can get a hold of any earlier versions of software. The stuff that was written with computers like that in mind. The first version of Cubase SX looks about right.

http://www.steinbergcanada.com/products/cubase/cubase_sx_sl_system_requirements.htm

Dunno where you'd get it though....

CT

That's a good idea actually, but I don't know where you'd get it either.

I'd just have a try with Audacity. It's free and doesn't use much resources, so it might work ok for you. However, you'll probably get a fair amount of latency on a computer with such low a spec anyway.
There is poetry in despair.
.... unless he used a mixer to monitor with.

CT

A nice solution for every PC most of problems are being solved within no time PC Solutions any kind of virus removal, spyware related issues or even slowing up of your computer system all such problems can be solved easily. I got the link from one of my friend and found it great, hope it helps you too.
true PC's come VERY cheap these days, keep looking in the classifieds, or check out smaller boutique style computer shops. they usually have used rigs that go for very reasonable prices.

anyway, for a half decent program that'll run on a low spec comp. try and find a version of Cool edit pro 2

i'm running it on my laptop which is a:

Pentium 3 @ 700 mhz
256 megs ram
some cheap video thing.. 8 megs maybe?

slow. but it gets the job done.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.