On some Tool songs I've heard Justin use Tremelo Picking (Mainly on the song, Aenima) and I am hoping to excel in that playing style. I was wondering if there are any good ways to touch up and practice on this. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Learn to wank fast.

Only kidding. just build it up faster and faster and make the strokes of the pick narrower and narrower. I can't give you the best advice with this though since i'm a finger player.
I used to play a lot of black metal on bass which requires incredibly fast tremolo picking.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Quote by Hammerzeit
Learn to wank fast.

Only kidding. just build it up faster and faster and make the strokes of the pick narrower and narrower. I can't give you the best advice with this though since i'm a finger player.

Either follow this advice or just learn to play with your fingers.
I play both styles I'm actually a better finger player to be honest, but I want to get used to the pick so I can grasp all styles (And I have a habit of collecting picks :P)
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
I used to play a lot of black metal on bass which requires incredibly fast tremolo picking.

And?

Ts, do what Hammerzeit said. It just takes practice.
You stole my Overture
Delirium speaks the truth even if its boring thats the best way
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
i was in a metal band and insisted on playing with my fingers and developed a style of rapidly shaking my index finger to tremolo pick. it worked really well, though before i got good it was very quiet. its still not incredibly loud, but i always thought it made the mix sound better without the sound of the bass pick coming through. it was also very slurred together, compared to a traditional pick.

i've yet to see anyone else do it, but yeah. its an option.
Quote by asomata
i was in a metal band and insisted on playing with my fingers and developed a style of rapidly shaking my index finger to tremolo pick. it worked really well, though before i got good it was very quiet. its still not incredibly loud, but i always thought it made the mix sound better without the sound of the bass pick coming through. it was also very slurred together, compared to a traditional pick.

i've yet to see anyone else do it, but yeah. its an option.

Little off the topic, but you're talking about using one finger for an up & down stroke? I tried using this technique playing a certain song, but didn't like the sound of my nail hitting the string(although I didn't try it with my real equip & playing with others, just on my practice amp), so I just kept plugging away at using two fingers until I got the tempo smooth.
Warwick Corvette $$ 4-string
Ibanez GSR200
SWR Goliath II 4x10
Eden 115XL
Carvin B1500 head
Another interesting way to tremolo pick is to do the Victor Wooten Double Thumb Technique. Its the way i do it now, and with the double thumb you can do all kinds of other cool stuff.
You basically just stroke down with your thum and on the way up yo hit it with the side of your thumb. You can also add a pluck with your index finger. Theres a video on youtube ill post the link later. Its called "Victor Wooten lesson on bass technique pt 1."

EDIT:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=yXSB0yDlS54&feature=related
there you go
Quote by Diet_coke_head
Hey! Now you can molest you're grandma and she won't remember! Score!!!

Gear:
Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass
Fender V Jazz
Ashdown MAG 410
EH Bass Big MUff
MXR Bass Octave Deluxe
Digitech Synth Wah
I agree with the metronome they are the essential tool to help you.

Have you had a look at Billy Sheehan's three finger technique? If he can't tremolo pick then no-one can...

xx
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.