I looked up speed metal in search and nothing good came up so I decided to make a Speed Metal thread. Discuss. Talk about the great speed metal bands.
I wouldn't call speedmetal a real genre since most of bands labeled as such are either trash, power metal or simply heavy metal.
Quote by Bassist_Matt
Yea, Dragonforce, Cacophony, Accept, Helloween, Blind Guardian, Motorhead.

Well, to be fair, that IS 6....and he DID ask for 5...so....you DO fail.
I've found Jesus
mastodon are classed as speed/thrash i believe.
STEAM: beachhhhhhhh

Quote by cornmancer
Please daddy, just for one hour.
most of that is gay ****, you wanna know the good **** ?

exodus
nuclear assault
kreator
megadeth
metallica
anthrax
and the list goes on.......
Quote by Hoodoo Child
mastodon are classed as speed/thrash i believe.

You believe wrong.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
Quote by eazy-c
You believe wrong.

WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER, HOW COULD YOU BETRAY ME?!?!?!

Quote by cornmancer
Quote by Hoodoo Child
WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER, HOW COULD YOU BETRAY ME?!?!?!

You could try listening to a band before classifying them.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
Quote by eazy-c
You could try listening to a band before classifying them.

i DO listen to them!

but WMP classes them as speed/thrash metal.

Quote by cornmancer
Quote by Hoodoo Child
i DO listen to them!

And...

You must be pretty retarded to just go by whatever a Media Player tells you.

Because they are not speed metal/thrash.
Quote by ChemicalFire
they are more like stoner or sludge metal right?
Quote by StevoIRL
Hetfield what a man bit of belly but still what a man

Gear

Gibson Slash Signature LP
B-52 AT-112 60 watt
Digitech Rp90
There are certain bands who would go the best by the genre Speed Metal

like early Blind Guardian isn't really power metal but it sure ain't thrash metal either, early Helloween would be a good example of the mix of speed and power metal

but it is true that most of speed metal also fall under the thrash and power metal genres, especially many power metal bands from the US sound pretty different to their European colleagues, so I think speed metal is a good placement for them (Riot, Crimson Glory, Anvil etc.)

speed/thrash metal bands are harder to categorize between the two of the genres, because bands like Cranium sing about being speed metal yet they also sound undeniably thrash as well
I’m not the man I used to be, I... I can’t go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

Agent Steel is a very good example of speed metal for me. Also what Judas Priest did on Painkiller.
ANUS goes on about how Speed Metal is thrash, and thrash is hardcore punk/crossover like DRI.

I think Exciter is a good example of speed metal. Also early Mercyful Fate.
Quote by Bassist_Matt
Yea, Dragonforce, Cacophony, Accept, Helloween, Blind Guardian, Motorhead.

I see one...
i consider cacophony to be shred ... man, Marty Friedman + Jason Becker MUST be shred ... its just that they've got a song called speed metal symphony.
Quote by beadhangingOne
^Cacophony is neoclassical metal, which is in essence, a subgenre of speed metal...

Except for the fact that speed metal, like thrash, is in essence based off the blues whilst neoclassical metal is based off of...

WHOA, classical music.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Quote by Psychopathology
^Speed Metal yes. Thrash was, however, a combination of punk and metal.

Kill 'Em All, basically the blueprint of thrash, was hyperfast blues rock with heavy distortion and shout/screamed vocals.

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Quote by Slaytanic1993
Except for the fact that speed metal, like thrash, is in essence based off the blues whilst neoclassical metal is based off of...

WHOA, classical music.

Divergent evolution. Happens all the time.
Quote by beadhangingOne
Divergent evolution. Happens all the time.

The fact stands that speed metal is inherintly based off of the blues and somewhat classical music.

Quote by eggsandham2
Speed Metal is great in many cases, but I don't listen to a huge amount of bands that would best be described as Speed.
Quote by eazy-c
You must be pretty retarded to just go by whatever a Media Player tells you.

iTunes tells me to burn things...

Quote by Snyper
grave digger ftw

The clans are marching gainst the law
Bagpipers play the tunes of war
Death or glory I will find
Rebellion on my mind!

Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
Quote by Guitarmike123
I wouldn't call speedmetal a real genre since most of bands labeled as such are either trash, power metal or simply heavy metal.

FAIIIIIIIIIIIL

Quote by guitaraddicted
most of that is gay ****, you wanna know the good **** ?

exodus
nuclear assault
kreator
megadeth
metallica
anthrax
and the list goes on.......

FAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIILLL

barely anyone posted yet that knows what speed metal is. essentially it is trad metal twice as fast. can be differentiated between thrash because thrash incorporates more hardcore punk and more complex riffage, and power metal has slower chord changing

Exciter and Razor are too perfect examples
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to
I think there's a lot of confusion about the term "speed metal" because in America in the 80s, it was used to refer to thrash (hence Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Exodus etc. sometimes being labeled "speed metal"), while in Europe it referred to what I like to think of as "ballsy power metal", such as early Helloween (Walls of Jericho), Gamma Ray etc. A lot of it is virtually indistinguishable from power metal, although I still like to differentiate between the two because I'm a sub-genre pedant.
Yop, its like the term "power metal", in europe it refer sometimes to groovy, slowed down thrash like PanterA, Exhorder, lamb Of God etc, mostly in france, but in germany it refer to the classical power metal like Blind guardian, primal fear, gamma ray, where speed metal = power metal. Some people dont make distinction between speed and power metal btw.
Isn't power metal basically NWOBHM with more wizards and ****?
two and a half men.
loooooool !! Wizards, dragon, goblins ... some bands like rhapsody are the complete stereotype of power metal, but theyre doing it well :p
Quote by Hoodoo Child
i DO listen to them!

They are a very hard band to define, I really don't know what I'd class them as (maybe "whale metal"), but you have to be pretty deaf to trust WMP Mine tells me Exodus are Alternative Rock
Haha Necrohagist and EntombeD are classified as blues ... btw i have decided to use Winamp and my own tags.

Also a good example of speed metal, ADX, an old (early 80) french speed metal, very simillar to kill em all, but not as thrashy and with french vocals.
Quote by MHDrunk
barely anyone posted yet that knows what speed metal is. essentially it is trad metal twice as fast. can be differentiated between thrash because thrash incorporates more hardcore punk and more complex riffage, and power metal has slower chord changing

Exactly.
also the general consensus on power metal needs to be addressed

their are two schools of it: north american and european. the north american is the fist pumping, anthemic stuff like Anvil and Savage Grace. the european stuff is generally alot more melodic and that is where the wizards and fairies come into it
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to