what is the string set up? EADGBEC? ad what would happen with like chord shapes? would you have to re-learn everything?
Most people play it BEADGBe. This is exactly the same as standard tuning on a 6-string, and you already know the notes on the B string, so it's not to hard to learn chords with the 7th string.
so would you mute the 7th string? or not play it? and is that why a 5 string bass is BEADG?
Quote by shampooboy37
so would you mute the 7th string? or not play it? and is that why a 5 string bass is BEADG?

What?

It's BEADGbe, it's essentially just an extension of standard tuning. Now if you're talking about playing a 6 string song on a 7, either work on not hitting the low B, or if you really have to, put a piece of masking tape around the string to help keep it from vibrating.
Gear:
Ibanez RG7321 Seven String
Epiphone Iommi Signature SG
Digitech Scott Ian Black 13
VOX Valvetronix AD100VTH
Laney 4x12 w/Celestion 50s
Just start the chord playing on the low e its not difficult, and yeah 5 string bass is tuned BEADG
Quote by shampooboy37

Haha if you arent gonna use the 7th string theres no point getting a 7 string!

But yeh its quite easy to play 6 string songs on a 7 string once you get used to it.
oh i meant to say that i wasn't looking to buy one i just want to understand them better.....