I'm meant to be doing backing vocals at band and I keep slurring my speech

This is something that is really hacking me off.

When I talk my speech can sound slurred and I muddle up words, mispronounce words which I really should say correctly and generally I am really hard to understand sometimes.

But the only issue is that I'm a backing vocalist at band as well as a bassist. I'm meant to be playing at band THIS WEEKEND and I really don't know whether I should.

I'vebeen to a doctor who cannot find anything wrong with me. I also know the song lyrics really well and have no issue playing infront of a crowd.

Should I cancel doing the backing? What should I do?
Quote by Våd Hamster
Practice?

I know the songs so well I could write out the score from memory.

I also have practiced these songs LOTS and it hasn't helped.
Not get drunk all the time? :confused

EDIT: By "practice" I believe that they mean practice not slurring the words, i.e. don't sing the song, take a sentence and sing it, notice where you slur, and fix it. Also, you would probably get better results taking your query to the "only vocal and singing tips help thread" in the Musician Talk forum. Emphasis on "only."
It's just the way you´re used to speak. Try practicing the songs/song by yourself in front of the mirror and concentrate on all the pronouncing. Also exaggerate your articulating.
Quote by Malos
It's just the way you´re used to speak. Try practicing the songs/song by yourself in front of the mirror and concentrate on all the pronouncing. Also exaggerate your articulating.

I don't think so....I mean I used to enter into public speaking competitions and deliver speeches in college.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Seen as I'm a bandleader I think I can do it....

I don't think being a band leader has any bearing on whether you can sing properly and play an instrument at the same time. Some people just can't do it, just like some people can't rub their belly and pat their head at the same time, for example.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I don't think being a band leader has any bearing on whether you can sing properly and play an instrument at the same time. Some people just can't do it, just like some people can't rub their belly and pat their head at the same time, for example.

No I can sing and play bass at the same time, I can even play drums and sing at the same time.

That's the reason I'm a bandleader- because I NEED to be able to do this
Uh...

Have you been trying to play bass and sing at the same time?

Practice at it and see if anything happens. Don't bass (lame) your singing ability on how you talk, they aren't controlled by the same things in your brain.
When you saw me sleeping
thought I was dreaming
of you...

I didn't tell you
That the only dream
Is Valium for me
Steve Harris is a band leader, if you've never heard him sing you're a luckier man than I am.

Go to a speaking coach, they're not hard to get hold of. Actually my ex-vocal coach was a speaking coach aswell, she'd have fit in this situation :p
Quote by Td_Nights
Uh...

Have you been trying to play bass and sing at the same time?

Practice at it and see if anything happens. Don't bass (lame) your singing ability on how you talk, they aren't controlled by the same things in your brain.

Oh ha ha I was waiting for the bass/base jokes.

The very reason I'm DOING backing vocals is because my sung pronounciation of words is so terrible that no-one understands me. Same when I speak....
Maybe you're stressed about other things at the moment? Too many thoughts flying around at once and when you try to get the words out you jam up like a tunnel, everything wants to get through but you just can't choose the right phrase so things get slurred and you mumble and such and so forth. Try just relaxing.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
I don't think so....I mean I used to enter into public speaking competitions and deliver speeches in college.

speaking competitons arnt singing now are they. get your ego out of the way and practice.
Quote by Mo Jiggity
What he said. You are a wise man for not buying into the hype.

ya hear that...he thinks im wise
maybe you have a brain tumour.... i saw something like this on house, but then again im not house, or a doctor for that matter.........

or maybe your just not that good at backing vocals and playing bass at the same time
you gonna get raped!!!!!!!

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Oh ha ha I was waiting for the bass/base jokes.

The very reason I'm DOING backing vocals is because my sung pronounciation of words is so terrible that no-one understands me. Same when I speak....

So what's the problem, then?
Quote by Deliriumbassist
If you're the band leader, and you're making this decision this late... that strikes me as being extremely unprepared. You should've decided much earlier than this and altered things so someone else could do backing vocals.

I'm not the bandleader for this particular performance but a stand-in while their bassist is on holiday.
If you can't sing, don't sing.

Simple as that.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
This guy just can't take criticism...
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
Quote by Johnny Trash
you suck..

shut up, and stop trying to compnensate for your little wang.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by Deliriumbassist
In that case, if you've been thinking about this problem for a while and you suddenly say "oh, sorry guys, I can't do backing vocals after all" you're letting them down.

To be perfectly honest the backing vocals aren't crucial- the drummer, rhythm guitar and the keytard will also be singing some, so I might be able to get away with it.

It wasn't an issue until now because my call-ups as a singer have been far and few, and my bass is more important.
Quote by the humanity
shut up, and stop trying to compnensate for your little wang.

shut up, and stop trying to compensate for your inability to spell compensate.

*checks spellings*
Quote by Deliriumbassist
In that case, if you've been thinking about this problem for a while and you suddenly say "oh, sorry guys, I can't do backing vocals after all" you're letting them down.

EDIT: And being a stand-in does not make you the band leader.

I said I was A bandleader- which I am, just not with this band
To be perfectly honest the backing vocals aren't crucial- the drummer, rhythm guitar and the keytard will also be singing some, so I might be able to get away with it.

Why the **** did you post this thread in the first place then?
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
I said I was A bandleader- which I am, just not with this band

Is that relevant?

I don't understand what the problem is, and you keep contradicting yourself.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by Johnny Trash
shut up, and stop trying to compensate for your inability to spell compensate.

*checks spellings*

what? oh crap I did.

that still doesn't give you the right to be an asshole.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
just do it, I sing backup and slur my words.

And if it really bothers anyone say it was a tribute to Joe Strummer.