Currently I am using windows xp, but i would like to re install it but I have no installation cd. Is linux good?
Yes it is good. The only real problem with it is that It won't run all the windows programs that you might like such as Guitar Pro. I really don't know if there is a program to run windows programs for linux. I think one is called WINE but i'm not sure. Linux is good and I think it has 2 known viruses. If you want it go ahead and get it.
Quote by Phat Stud 55
Yes it is good. The only real problem with it is that It won't run all the windows programs that you might like such as Guitar Pro. I really don't know if there is a program to run windows programs for linux. I think one is called WINE but i'm not sure. Linux is good and I think it has 2 known viruses. If you want it go ahead and get it.

+1

Try Linux with WINE if you end up hating it no big just reformat and install windows. if you don't have a CD check ebay for a used one or torrent but you may get busted
Ubuntu is very good. I'm running it now, although I suggest that you install it in dual boot so you can still run windows programs if you wish.
Quote by alaskan_ninja
Everyone is trying a comeback now. Metallica, Smashing Pumpkins, Rage, and now bin Laden? Come on. Give it a rest..

haha
Would it run something like mixcraft, the recording programme. And after installing it is it easy to install the drivers for the pc's hardware?
Installing the drivers all depends. Check the ubuntu forums pre-hand

forums.ubuntu.com

and no it probably wouldn't, but if you use WINE, or dual boot then you would be able to
Quote by alaskan_ninja
Everyone is trying a comeback now. Metallica, Smashing Pumpkins, Rage, and now bin Laden? Come on. Give it a rest..

haha
Quote by LinkManDX
Linux is good.

Try Ubuntu, it's the easiest one to install.

Do this, there are alternatives for almost all programs, like Tuxguitar replacing GuitarPro. I'm on windows and I use it, I dual booted for a while.
I am now looking more towards ubuntu, how do i install it if i download it onto the computer i want it for. And will I need to back-up any of my data?
If you dual-boot (Install inside windows) you won't need to because you can choose which to boot into on switching on.

www.ubuntu.com

download the ISO and burn the iso onto a disc. Simple
Quote by alaskan_ninja

haha
Quote by georgeadey_76
I am now looking more towards ubuntu, how do i install it if i download it onto the computer i want it for. And will I need to back-up any of my data?

Download the ISO, and burn the image to the CD (Make sure you don't just burn the ISO file. The Ubuntu website has info on this).

Then, reboot, boot off the CD, follow the instructions, and there you go.

For the second question, if you want to keep it, yes.