I just got my Mesa/Boogie DC-3. i have no idea how old the tubes are or what brand they are. when i play cleans, it sounds so awesome. Really awesome. however, i kick in the distortion channel and it sounds like... compressed or real middy. is it the tubes or the eq? the amp comes with a 5band eq. how should i configure it to get a good metal tone? i leave gain at 8, treble at 9, mids at 0, bass at 8.. tell me how i should play with eq to get a scooped mid sound.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by apak
I just got my Mesa/Boogie DC-3. i have no idea how old the tubes are or what brand they are. when i play cleans, it sounds so awesome. Really awesome. however, i kick in the distortion channel and it sounds like... compressed or real middy. is it the tubes or the eq? the amp comes with a 5band eq. how should i configure it to get a good metal tone? i leave gain at 8, treble at 9, mids at 0, bass at 8.. tell me how i should play with eq to get a scooped mid sound.

Please, don't. Try to get a metal sound WITHOUT scooping mids, it's really possible.
Quote by zombiak
Please, don't. Try to get a metal sound WITHOUT scooping mids, it's really possible.

i meant lowering mids. it sounds so wierd haha. it's hard to explain. it's really middy so i just want to lower mids to get less.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack