ok so all you guys who gave me advice last night on Eqing my tones & dialing them in, thanks!! i woke up today & turned my Pre up on lead and found that dirt i was looking for but...

i still cant seem to get a good tone...i dont know..its eems really fizzy & i cant thicken the tone because its much too loud to turn up in my room, i dont know how to explain the tone, its like its too 'hidden' in the amp...too bassy & dark...i want loud & glassy (i know yall will shake your head at me for this, but i would like the tone from the sound clips ive heard of the Metal Muff stompbox, but i would like to get it from my amp's distortion rather than purchasing the pedal, although i have no problem buying it)

this is my setup:

pre-7
post-1.5
bass-5-6
mid-4.5/5
treble-7-8
resonance-6.5
presence-6

what solutions are there? new battery in my EMGs? new speakers? (i thought Sheffields were good?!) an overdrive pedal to tighten tone & use the boost it provides?

ESP EC-1000 *Vintage Black*
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
Sheffields are pretty crap. Maybe try some V30's. An overdrive sounds like it could help but you really have to open up those power tubes to hear it's real tone. Screw the whole no power tube saturation bullcrap for metal. It's needed to a point.
Quote by maggot2011
Sheffields are pretty crap. Maybe try some V30's. An overdrive sounds like it could help but you really have to open up those power tubes to hear it's real tone. Screw the whole no power tube saturation bullcrap for metal. It's needed to a point.

how do i do this?

*EDIT* i like your tone for Reptar king of the ozone, what are you using?

Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
Last edited by jcp42877 at Jul 19, 2008,
Umm to me the 5150 is sorta a dark voiced harsh distortion amp.

Id suggst to just keep messing around. To push the powertubes you need to turn the amp up volume wise. You really shouldnt have too much trouble dialing in a nice sound. I found a pretty good metal one within 5 mins of sitting down with it in the store and Im by no means that talented at EQing.
Quote by jcp42877
how do i do this?

*EDIT* i like your tone for Reptar king of the ozone, what are you using?

You have to crank the volume. It seems like an attenuator would really help you.

My camera makes any amp sound good. I think I'm using my Peavey Bandit. It's actually really good for a SS.
Quote by maggot2011
You have to crank the volume. It seems like an attenuator would really help you.

My camera makes any amp sound good. I think I'm using my Peavey Bandit. It's actually really good for a SS.

how would i install one of those?

Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
Quote by jcp42877
how would i install one of those?

Well check the combo inside. See if there is a cable connecting to the speakers. If not you're going to have do a bit of soldering but if there is then just put the attenuator between the cable connecting the speaker and the amp. So you're going to need another speaker cable.
Quote by A-5best
Example of 5150 distortion, I know these guys use the 5150 Ive seen them live:
http://www.myspace.com/wisdominchains

Listen to cap city it give you an idea of palm mutes and chords. You should be able to dial in a tone like that with relative ease.

nice! thats basically the exact kind of tone i want!!..but i CANT seem to find it...
i wonder if a guitar with passive pickups would do better? it seems to me though EMGs would be able to get that easier than passive

Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
hmmm, what about unswcrewing the backplate behind the speakers? could that 'bring out' a brighter tone?

Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
Quote by jcp42877
hmmm, what about unswcrewing the backplate behind the speakers? could that 'bring out' a brighter tone?

Not brighter per se, but it would make it sound more open and spread out. It'd take away from the bass response and directionality of the sound though.
Turn up the presence?
Change the speakers too, the Sheffields are pretty bad.
I wouldn't get an attenuator though, my 5150 combo sounds good at about 2 or 3 but any higher doesn't make too much of a difference. At low volumes they can sound pretty good anyways, you're better off using that money on an OD pedal.
Not much you can do about the fizz...
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
Quote by xMikeyxMetalx
Turn up the presence?
Change the speakers too, the Sheffields are pretty bad.
I wouldn't get an attenuator though, my 5150 combo sounds good at about 2 or 3 but any higher doesn't make too much of a difference. At low volumes they can sound pretty good anyways, you're better off using that money on an OD pedal.
Not much you can do about the fizz...

Actually this guy has it. OD instead. The fizz I think goes away if you back off either the mids or treble a bit. But yeah Sheffields aren't good. I have one in my bandit and it's way too bassy and nowhere near enough mids.
yea dude turn the presence up...this might change when I get a cab with some V30s, but I found that when I hit somewhere between 8 and 9 on the presence it brightens up the tone quite a bit. Some people tell you not to overdo the presence, but I think it sounds better and it really cut through a mix on my bands recording.

My eq looks something like this:

pre - 7
low - 9
mid - 10
high - 7
resonance - 6
presence - 9
max you should have treble and mids on the 5150 is like 5-6.
a lot of fizz can come from the presence, so its really about finding a balance between too much fizz and the amp sounding like its covered in a blanket. so just turn the knob slowly til you find the sweet spot, it also depends on what volume you have the amp as you will need less presence the louder you get.
Also if you roll of the gain a little and use an OD as a boost it might smooth out some fizz.
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
Quote by xMikeyxMetalx
max you should have treble and mids on the 5150 is like 5-6.
a lot of fizz can come from the presence, so its really about finding a balance between too much fizz and the amp sounding like its covered in a blanket. so just turn the knob slowly til you find the sweet spot, it also depends on what volume you have the amp as you will need less presence the louder you get.
Also if you roll of the gain a little and use an OD as a boost it might smooth out some fizz.

+1

I roll the presence down the louder I turn it up. The presence is really key in finding your tone so when you find that sweet spot you'll know.