Hi, I was just wondering what exactly are the differences between these two amps? Does one of them have better cleans or more gain than the other? I play many different types of metal but i also like to be able to switch to pristine cleans. Is there a significant differance in their tone?
http://groups.ultimat e-guitar.com/aa08s/

Squint your eyes to see clearly. Blur reality to make it real.

Quote by Magic Jim
"Jimmy! Eat your peas!"
"It's not illegal if I don't"
"k, koo"

Imagine if life was like that.

Awesome
from what i can remember, the revo sounded a bit better- less fizzy than the krankenstein. the krankenstein could get a bit of dirt on the clean channel too.

though perhaps the "+" model is a different model- if so, i haven't tried the "+" versions. hopefully erock will turn up to help.

my main point of advice would be that at that price there are more high gain tube amps than krank- get one by all means if you like them (i don't, but i can understand why some people might), but make sure you try as many of its competitors as possible, and head to head if possible. if you're spending a load of cash you might as well make as good a decision as you possibly can, and that means trying as many amps as possible.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I played a Krankenstein and didn't like it at all. To trebley for me, and I had the bass up on 10. I tried a lot of different settings, but none fit my taste. I have heard some clips on the Revolution. MatrixClaw has said that he likes the Revolution, but you have to know how to use.
Fender American Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Standard
79 Gibson Les Paul Custom
Suhr Pro Series S5
Ovation Custom Balladeer
Mesa Boogie Mark IV with 4x12 Recto Cab
Looking for Ibanez RGA model or Petrucci PM me for details
Quote by Dave_Mc
from what i can remember, the revo sounded a bit better- less fizzy than the krankenstein. the krankenstein could get a bit of dirt on the clean channel too.

though perhaps the "+" model is a different model- if so, i haven't tried the "+" versions. hopefully erock will turn up to help.

my main point of advice would be that at that price there are more high gain tube amps than krank- get one by all means if you like them (i don't, but i can understand why some people might), but make sure you try as many of its competitors as possible, and head to head if possible. if you're spending a load of cash you might as well make as good a decision as you possibly can, and that means trying as many amps as possible.

damn right. You don't need to just say, I have to get a Krank. Mesa, Engl, Laney, and Peavey's are all great for what your after. (I also presonally don't like Krank amps because they are too trebly for my tastes.)
Fender American Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Standard
79 Gibson Les Paul Custom
Suhr Pro Series S5
Ovation Custom Balladeer
Mesa Boogie Mark IV with 4x12 Recto Cab
Looking for Ibanez RGA model or Petrucci PM me for details
I would say Rev+ The Krankenstein is the Dimebag model so expect lots of gain and treble. The Rev seems to have better cleans and just be abit more versatile.
The Rev is like a more aggressive Mark IV.

Kranks are amps you have to really sit down and mess with awhile to get the feel of all the knobs, they're not your typical amps. In the manual it actually says to keep the master volume lower than your channel volume.

They're capable of getting some great tones, but I'd suggest you do some research into using one before you go try it out or you'll most likely come back thinking it sounds like **** like 90% of UG, who have actually played one.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I played a rev 1 the other day and it was awesome. I liked it better than the JSX but not as much as the 6505 that I inevitably bought. But I can't help you out as far as the differences. It seems the Revs are more popular though, most bands that use Kranks seem to use the Revs instead of the Steins, don't quote me on the stats though.
I haven't played the Rev+, but I own a Stein+. I've owned the older model, and the + series is a big improvement, completely different animal. Some killer tones in this head though.

The sweep control throws a lot of people off if you don't know how to use it. It can sound like a giant bag of ass if that is set wrong. Also, you keep the Master above the ch vols at all times. Just these couple tricks can really make or break the head.

Personally, I thought the Stein+ was a little thicker than the Rev I used, and it had a little more thump and punch in the lowend. Also thought it had a little more raw sounding growl to it in the mids. The new models are much less fizzy, and tighter than the older models. I have a couple clips of my Stein+, both raw tracks, no EQ or processing done, both thru the matching Krankenstien cab with Texas Heats.

http://www.netmusicians.org/files/14-sennmic3-02.mp3
http://www.netmusicians.org/files/82-Krank%2Bclip.mp3
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at Jul 20, 2008,
Quote by maggot2011
Damn you Erock... I wish I had your t0n3z.

Try em out. As I Lay Dying uses Revs I believe so if you like there tone go for it. Kranks are hate or love amps.

haha, thanks man

and definitely agree, it's a love hate thing with the Kranks, it's an amp you really have to play. The + series is going to convert a lot of haters though imo.

oh, and forgot to mention. For some reason, this + series has quite a bit more headroom in the cleans than my older version. My older version used to always have dirt in the cleans, no matter what. This + series seems to keep a "cleaner" clean much farther up on the volume knob, which was a pleasant surprise.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at Jul 20, 2008,
i wouldn't say i'm a krank hater- i didn't think they were terrible. More i turned into a hater because anytime i mentioned i wasn't fussed on HC, about 50 krank fanboys jumped on my back and accused me of not being able to dial in an amp, not being able to play, all manner of really quite rude and hurtful things. (of course i don't include erock in these people ) it was ridiculous. if people don't like e.g. engls, i don't have a problem with that, i can understand why they aren't for everyone. just a lot of the krank people acted like no-one else in the world could make a decent amp, which clearly isn't true.

granted, the new + ones might be a lot better. And I'm obviously aware that the longer you have one, the better you know it and would probably be able to dial in better tones than a quick test in a shop.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i wouldn't say i'm a krank hater- i didn't think they were terrible. More i turned into a hater because anytime i mentioned i wasn't fussed on HC, about 50 krank fanboys jumped on my back and accused me of not being able to dial in an amp, not being able to play, all manner of really quite rude and hurtful things. (of course i don't include erock in these people ) it was ridiculous. if people don't like e.g. engls, i don't have a problem with that, i can understand why they aren't for everyone. just a lot of the krank people acted like no-one else in the world could make a decent amp, which clearly isn't true.

granted, the new + ones might be a lot better. And I'm obviously aware that the longer you have one, the better you know it and would probably be able to dial in better tones than a quick test in a shop.

hey bud, I hope you didn't take my post as a dig. Definitely was not intended. I know you have a good ear and definitely know how to dial in an amp man.

I'm mostly talking about the people that hated them without even trying them, just getting on the bandwagon. I think their early aggressive marketing was over the top too, and that review thing was just shooting themselves in the foot. However, from talking with the guys at Krank, apparently it was one guy, and he was fired from Krank after they found out about it. Not sure what to believe there, but they have been nothing but killer to me with customer service and support.
amp clips
amp vids
oh no, i wasn't meaning you at all erock, i was meaning a thread about them ages back on HC.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?