hi. i can strum 5 strings or 4 strings fine, but when it goes to 3 - 2 string strumming, I have trouble keeping it steady. you begin to hear the independent notes rather than hearing one sound with all 3 notes. So for example, 5 6 and 7 on the last high g b and e strings.

How do I improve this? Also, I'm not sure if I'm just worrying too much but it seems as if some of the strings on my guitar are closer to the fret than others (my guitar is used), I'm not sure if it actually is like this or if I'm just imagining it.

Thanks
Quote by crazlunatic
hi. i can strum 5 strings or 4 strings fine, but when it goes to 3 - 2 string strumming, I have trouble keeping it steady. you begin to hear the independent notes rather than hearing one sound with all 3 notes. So for example, 5 6 and 7 on the last high g b and e strings.

How do I improve this? Also, I'm not sure if I'm just worrying too much but it seems as if some of the strings on my guitar are closer to the fret than others (my guitar is used), I'm not sure if it actually is like this or if I'm just imagining it.

Thanks

the action on your guitar may need to be adjusted that would fix the strings being different distances from the fret board
If you have a whammy bar then string height difference is common, especially with a used guitar, an allen wrench is usually all thats needed to solve it, but if you havent done it before, read a lot about changing the string action first.

As for your strumming, keep on practicing it, practice 2 things, working on controlling your pick with stopping it after a shorter strum, and also you can practice muting the strings you dont want to hear, with what other finger you have spare or your thumb or your right palm...like your 567 example you could play that with your middle ring and pinky leaving your index to lightly touch the lower strings, then you can strum all of em and only hear the ones you want.

Practice both, and one other thing is chicken picking i think its called, where you continue to hold the pick but use your free right hand fingers to pluck aswell, like if you wanted to sound high e and low e at the same time , use the pick on the low e and you middle finger on the high e. I use this a lot for 2 string stuff like double stops.