#1
So I was browsing the local wood shops the other day, and in Sleg Lumber I found this nice piece of 1 by 8 by 4 foot board of maple. I couldn't resist. 35 bucks later I am at home with the saw out. the board was first cut into four 11 inch lengths. Next the saw was cocked to a 45 degree angle and the ends were chopped. The maple was harder then I thought and the blade is pretty used so the cutting was bad, and I burnt pretty much the board along the entire cut. The cuts weren't too clean and flat but they worked pretty well. I did make sure to save the little triangle bits for later use. I also cut of a half inch length of the left over stock that I cut in half. The triangel bits were glued onto the top and bottom as braces and the bits of cut off stock were glued on to act as braces to hold the speaker baffle. To hold the sides together while the glue was drying I made up a little jig.



Here is a pic of the jig. Basically it is two boards with nails in them to hold the sides inwards. I put a 20lb weight on top to help hold it all together. Originally I was going to tie or saran wrap the sides inwards but the nails/jig held it together very well.

While that was drying I cut out a piece of half inch ply wood to a 9.5 by 9.5 inch square. I traced out the circle and cut it out free hand with the router. I then glued on a piece of veneered 1/8th inch mahogony to the ply. I put a big box of kitty litter onto that to hold it in place while drying.



While all those were drying I cut myself another piece of the mahogony 3 inches by 2 inches and drilled 3 holes in it for the speaker jacks.

I then went to sleep.

The next morning I pulled off all the weights and inspected how everything had dried, the box was good, but to my dismay a bit of glue had gotten onto my mahogony front and dried into it. Fortunetly most of that was on the excess over hang. There was still some left but most of that came out with some mineral spirits and a scraper. I has to be careful as the mahogony is only a veneer and has very little thickness to take off.

The cabinet was then run over with a router with a 3/4 inch radius bit on all outside edges. Then the front baffle was attacked again with a router to rough out the circle in the mahogony. A half round file was then used finish things up. The plywood was pretty rough though so wood filler was applied all along the inside of the cut out and set out to dry. While that was drying I took the box out back and put on some Watco Danish Oil in Natural colouring. By the time I had finished that the wood filler had dried so i smoothed up the cut out with some sand paper and sprayed the back, sides, and inner side of the cut out with some black spray paint. Some of the paint leaked but that was mostly fixed again with some mineral spirits. I then went out and put some more Danish oil on the cab. The paint was now mostly dry so I took the front and the speaker jacks out side and put some Watco Danich Oil on them, only I used a medium walnut on the mahonogy.



I let them sit out side to dry. Thank night I took them inside to keep them safe and to test fit because I was excited to see what they looked like.



There is a dry run of it all with the out put jack. Btw, the out put jack plate has another little piece of the triangular scrap glued to it so it will attack to the box. I tried using as much of the maple as I could.



The back shot of the dry run shows the scrap pieces that I used to help hold it together. There are no nails in this but I am not worried about it all falling apart as it is only a little 8 inch speaker going in that won't see too much abuse. Mostly just bed room playing. It was too late to do anything else so I went to bed.

On the third day I got up and fastened the speaker to the baffle using half inch screws and tried test fitting it. DOH! the braces to hold the baffle were each about 1/16 to tall in the middle so the speaker wouldn't fit in. Out came the dremel with a sanding wheel. About 2 minutes later the braces were the right size and the speaker fit. It was then screwed in to the braces. Next I pre wired both of the speaker jacks as it would be dificult to access them once the plate was glued in. Soldering in the wires to the speaker was a bit tricky as the space was pretty confined but it wasn't too horrible. You have to have the speaker standing up so that if you drip any solder it doesn't land on your speaker. After that was done, and the plate glued in, and a little extra glue to glue the wires to the top of the box. Some rubber feet were attached to the bottom and I declared the box complete.

Here are some finished picture outside in the sun.





#2
Cool. Looks like you didn't waste much wood at all. I bet that Weber sounds gooood. If you build any more cabs in the future, you might want to try thinner wood. 3/4 inch is plenty strong and will resonate better with an open back.
#4
Thanks. My original plans would have used the entire board, but it would have thrown out the last board because you need to leave room for the kurf. Also, board dimensions are given for the undried board, line 2 by 4s, so the wood really is 3/4 thick dried.

And I haven't had a chance to play it yet. Unfortunetly the speaker is 8 ohms, and I dont have anything that will plug into that. Lol. That is alright though. I have a matching 10 inch kicking around that is getting the same box and is also 8 ohms, so in paralel they will be 4. I am also thinking of rehousing my Champ 600 into a matching box too for those once I hot rod it.

I have a couple other projects on the got atm though. And a couple more done with pics that I will post later in this thread.