Boss tu-2
Boss sd-1
Ehx Little Big Muff
Fulltone Ultimate Octave
Boss eq-7
Ehx Memory Man
Digitech Delay X-series
Ehx Holy Grail
and its very different but since you have the finger movement already down it will be easier for you to learn it
Gear

Standard Epiphone LP W/Dimarzio Super 2's
1973 Ampeg VT-22

Fulltone Clyde
Ernie Ball VP Jr
Boss tu-2
Boss sd-1
Ehx Little Big Muff
Fulltone Ultimate Octave
Boss eq-7
Ehx Memory Man
Digitech Delay X-series
Ehx Holy Grail
It doesn't have frets so you'll have to train your ears to get the right intonation... bowing took me a surprisingly short time to learn though, I'm currently working on the classical vibrato which I've heard is one of the most challenging aspects of starting out on violin...
i was just wondering because i wouldnt really want to learn anything too difficult on violin, just enough to play simple stuff in like an acoustic gig situation or something, cheers guys!
It won't take you long to be able to play; it will take you years to play well.

I'm a cellist because shoulder-instrument vibrato is too damn difficult.
From what I hear, intonation is the hardest part to get. It's a smaller scale than a guitar aswell so you've got to be deadly accurate. Bowing is very difficult too. You have to be holding the bow at a very precise angle to play the correct string and no other. You also have to consider how much of the bow you introduce to the string for dynamics and timbre. Holding one under your chin is very uncomfortable too.
I can't bow for shi*. I think having your fingers know where to go is the easiest part (after 4 years of guitar). Hell, I can play a fret-less bass just fine (I like them better that way). I haven't even TRIED vibrato. I'm thinking about selling my violin to save cash for a new guitar pedal.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Can you get left handed violins on the cheap?
I've seen violins going for £50 - 60 but never seen a lefty...
Last edited by Lefty_God at Jul 19, 2008,
Quote by szekelymihai
i cant play wiht that damn thing.the fiddlestick or whatever its called

you mean.... the bow?

well i've attempted violin and it sounded like the fingernails of a million demons running across the chalkboards of the damned in the deepest darkest bowels of some nightmarish hell......

aside from my own experience i know it usually takes a while to geting the proper technique down, playing pizzicato should be almost exactly like guitar (aside from the inverted tuning) and the fingering is very similar (aside again from the inverted tuning) from what i understand you have to REALLY want to play the violin to put the time in required to be good at it. but im of the belief that there aren't enough good violinists in the world so go for it.
I started Violin before Guitar, and found guitar easier due to larger size, frets and no bow. The bowing technique requires some time to master, but is easy to do once you have. Just keep hand/bow parallel with elbow-shoulder part of arm. Easy.
The natural vibrato is very hard as the instrument rests mainly on your hand. I would recommend just twisting your wrist slightly. Hope that helps.
[This image is too emo and is busy cutting itself.]

Primary Gear List:
Ibanez RG2550Z
Jackson RR-3
Peavy 112 ValveKing
Boss MT-2/TU-2
Quote by Magic_Joel
just how far removed is it from playing guitar?

Suffice to say, a very long way.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com