-Backstory-
Ok so I decided to mod my Strat a while back but couldn't decide on the finish. I was going to swirl it, but I got tired of having to test swirls every night, to test what worked best.
I eventually settled on paint the UK flag design. I started to paint the red stripes today, with a white satin as the base.

-Problems-
I taped the guitar up very meticulously (sp?) because I'm a perfectionist (nothing to be proud of) and wanted it to be perfect. I put regular mix paint into a spray gun and started spraying.

2 problems though:
1. After removing the tape, the edges of the stripes were not very straight and I don't know what happened. I used the normal blue painters tape found at Home Depot (I'm in the USA, btw)

2. My dad (who has worked with paint before except only in painting houses and such) insisted that I put another coat of red on before the tape came so he did, without my knowing.
The paint dryed (I'm positive it was dry) but when the tape came up, it was sticking to the tape like it was "gooy". (Like, have you ever seen a commercial where they advertise cheese and show a grilled cheese sandwich being pulled apart? It was like that.)
The paint looked and felt thick too. When I rubbed my hand over the body, I could feel the bump where the red started.

I've illustrated these issues with my mastery of MS Paint, to help convey the image:

Please help. I'm very pissed off and stressed out about this. Like I said before I'm a major perfectionist (not trying to toot my own horn, but if something is not perfect, i flip out...it's almost like mild OCD...) and i want this project to come out good.

Thanks in advance.
that's natural to feel where the red starts. your adding layers. you've still gotta clear coat it. and then buff it. that should take all the bump imperfections out. it did on mine. mine looked like orange peel.
GEAR:
Epiphone LP special model 2 (Heavily modded - killswitch and custom midi X-Y touch pad).
Digitech Whammy, Zvex Fuzz Factory, Boss Dynamic Wah, Electro harmonix Little Big Muff, Zoom G7.1ut, Digitech Grunge, Korg KP2.
Marshall AVT 50x
Quote by jumi1174
... 2 problems though:
1. After removing the tape, the edges of the stripes were not very straight and I don't know what happened. I used the normal blue painters tape found at Home Depot (I'm in the USA, btw)

2. My dad (who has worked with paint before except only in painting houses and such) insisted that I put another coat of red on before the tape came so he did, without my knowing.
The paint dryed (I'm positive it was dry) but when the tape came up, it was sticking to the tape like it was "gooy". (Like, have you ever seen a commercial where they advertise cheese and show a grilled cheese sandwich being pulled apart? It was like that.)
The paint looked and felt thick too. When I rubbed my hand over the body, I could feel the bump where the red started...

I use those and sometimes regular masking tape. The trick is to go over the edges several times to ensure the paint won't seep under. I do so at least 3X.

Once you get full coverage, it's not necessary to put down another layer, specially for multi-color designs.

The paint didn't dry completely.

Once the new layer is completely dry, make sure to wetsand very gently, and with high grit sandpaper that you soaked overnight, the edges. Did I mention very gently? Keep it wet while sanding until you can't feel the demarcation lines.

Good Luck!

^

+1 lppon

Please listen to this man. He has excellent advice and would completely solve the problems listed.
Do NOT look behind you.
The blue tape works well for paint that is brushed on, not so well for sprayed paint. I would check out the local auto paint store and get some the 3M tape that body shops use.
Many thanks for the replies guys, especially lppon. I really appreciate it. I'll try the mentioned suggestions.
Quote by Ippon
I use those and sometimes regular masking tape. The trick is to go over the edges several times to ensure the paint won't seep under. I do so at least 3X.

Once you get full coverage, it's not necessary to put down another layer, specially for multi-color designs.

The paint didn't dry completely.

Once the new layer is completely dry, make sure to wetsand very gently, and with high grit sandpaper that you soaked overnight, the edges. Did I mention very gently? Keep it wet while sanding until you can't feel the demarcation lines.

Good Luck!

sorry for the week-long bump, but i seem to have this problem of sorts. i'm not sure if it's the same thing. I laid down blue tape before painting the stripes. The lines came out decent, but EVERYWHERE I laid the blue 3m tape on, as soon as i removed it the sticky substance kept staying on the guitar! It makes me so angry ..

I tried little rubbing alcohol pads with no luck. Soap and water with no luck. This stuff just WILL NOT come off. It's icky residue thats all where i put tape down. I know it's not the paints fault because i laid some on the back too where i didnt paint and there was also loads there under the tape. What can I use? I can't clear coat it until it's completely free of dust/gross stuff.

I am thinking of Goo Gone, but I don't want to ruin my lacquer that I layed on.
Quote by injected
sorry for the week-long bump, but i seem to have this problem of sorts. i'm not sure if it's the same thing. I laid down blue tape before painting the stripes. The lines came out decent, but EVERYWHERE I laid the blue 3m tape on, as soon as i removed it the sticky substance kept staying on the guitar! It makes me so angry ..

I tried little rubbing alcohol pads with no luck. Soap and water with no luck. This stuff just WILL NOT come off. It's icky residue thats all where i put tape down. I know it's not the paints fault because i laid some on the back too where i didnt paint and there was also loads there under the tape. What can I use? I can't clear coat it until it's completely free of dust/gross stuff.

I am thinking of Goo Gone, but I don't want to ruin my lacquer that I layed on.

sounds like it was poor quality tape. do you need to add any more paint before clear coating?
GEAR:
Epiphone LP special model 2 (Heavily modded - killswitch and custom midi X-Y touch pad).
Digitech Whammy, Zvex Fuzz Factory, Boss Dynamic Wah, Electro harmonix Little Big Muff, Zoom G7.1ut, Digitech Grunge, Korg KP2.
Marshall AVT 50x
Well you can use olive oil to get the sticky stuff off.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
I've seen this problem a lot. I'm assuming you put the paint on pretty heavy meaning it had time to seep under the tape before it tacked. It just happens, not your fault. If you use electric tape, it sticks to smooth surfaces better but it doesn't peel off as nice sometimes. Also, there is a green painters tape made by another brand (I forgot what) but its much better, creates a nice seal. And last but not least, if you use very thin coats, the paint will dry before it can soak under the tape.
Gear:
-Mesa Dual Rectifier (3 Channel) with KT88 and KT66 Tubes
-Peavey 6505+
-Roland JC120
-Ibanez Tone Blaster TBX150H
-Mesa 4x12 Straight Cab
-Marshall 1960BV
-Gibson Les Paul Custom
-Gibson Flying V
-Line 6 M13