Hi. Quick question. Kerry King and Jeff Hanneman of Slayer both use JCM-800 Amps. As we know, this is a single channel amp - anybody know what they (or any other metal players who use JCM-800'S) put in front of 'em (distortions/overdrives etc) to get such a high gain sound?

Cheers.
they turn it up really mega super loud, and then will often put a tubescreamer infront of it or some other type of OD pedal. they wont have the dirt super high on the pedal, but turn its level up really high.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Kirk Hammett does the same - drives the clean channel harder. I'm just not a fan of putting a pedal in front of an amp's distorted channel.
The jcm's are modified to have this much gain, they propably use an overdrive too. Kerry uses a equalizer to sculpt the tone even more.

You can buy kerry's signature jcm800 that has been modded to create the slayer sound
Tom Morello. And it's not a clean channel. It'll do both. Most people get the amp dirty on it's own, then hit the front end with an OD pedal to tighten it up.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
Would an overdrive be preferable to a distortion then? If so, which are recommended? I hear the MXR GT-OD is good in this situation?
Quote by youngangus69
Kirk Hammett does the same - drives the clean channel harder. I'm just not a fan of putting a pedal in front of an amp's distorted channel.

Have you tried using it with your amp's gain? Meaning (on the pedal) Gain @ 0 and Level @ full?

EDIT: the MXR is a Tubescreamer copy, not sure if it's any better though
(they don't mention any actual features).
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Last edited by aznrockerdude at Jul 19, 2008,
Yeah, to drive the tubes harder. Most people seem to discourage distortions to overdrives tho?

Edit: Thanks for the advice - I'd heard nothin but good reviews.
they, like most people in there time, hot rodded there jcm's for more gain. Don't forget the emg's...
Quote by jake911
They have a eq in front of it with a kind of upside down smiley fashion.

Yep, Slayer is all mids.
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Last edited by aznrockerdude at Jul 19, 2008,
Quote by aznrockerdude
Nope, Slayer is all mids.

upside down smiley WOULD be all mids.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by Kivarenn82
upside down smiley WOULD be all mids.

You know what I meant.
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
mxr 10 band eq. push the mids
Gear
Ibanez RG2EX2
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Strat
Homemade EVH
Marshall JCM 800 Combo

Quote by freshtunes
its not so much that i feel guilty about masturbating, its the things that i masturbate to that make me feel guilty.
Just don't buy a new JCM 800. They aren't worth what Marshall current sells them for.

Also, beware of any used 800's you may be thinking of buying. They have been used and abused over the years and typically cost any new owner a lot of money for repairs and upgrades.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by gwitersnamps
Tom Morello. And it's not a clean channel. It'll do both. Most people get the amp dirty on it's own, then hit the front end with an OD pedal to tighten it up.

+1