Page 1 of 2
Thinking of buying one of those two, what experiences have you guys had with em and which one should i get if any?
"Then I saw that there was a way to hell, even from the gates of heaven."
-John Bunyan
You should have searched. They're known for being appalling and bad value.

Whats your budget, what's your guitar and what do you play?
ive played em at guitar center and they seem fairly decent.

I have a strat and a epi g400.

im starting playing gigs and the lame ass johnson reptone im using now hasnt been cutting it when i mic it.
-John Bunyan
i dont wanna buy for more than 700ish and i play all sorts of different things, depending on who im playing with. i like a regular rock sound maybe a little blusey but it needs to be able to play some harder stuff too.
-John Bunyan
Quote by matteo cubano

im starting playing gigs and the lame ass johnson reptone im using now hasnt been cutting it when i mic it.

go for a tube combo in your budget...which is???

EDIT: budget 700...um imho...even though im slightly biased in owning one. the peavey classic 30 would probly suit your needs. be sure to get a nice Overdrive pedal too (ie: Ibanez TS9)
Last edited by AJS19 at Jul 19, 2008,
They have bad reliability issues as well. Steer well clear.
GEAR
PRS Custom 24
Tanglewood ROCK III
Epiphone LP Custom
Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Ibanez GRG07LTD2
Marhsall AVT100
Originally posted by fender1618
i would rather have a guitar in place of my organs, OR CANDY
Quote by matteo cubano

Well they might seem decent for a while, but as your ear develops you'll realise the clean is nothing special, and the gain is awful. You'd be much better with a nice valve amp, or even a decent SS like a Roland Cube or a hybrid like a Vox AD series.

What's your budget?
Why do you need all that wattage when you can mic your amp?
Buy a 30 or 50 watt tube combo
Marshall MGs are horrible, I used to own one and it was absolutely terrible
It crapped out on me after about 2 years of bedroom use, got it fixed and it broke again a day later, different fault
AVOID

I recommend either a Peavey Valveking or Laney VC30
ohai little sig.
My friend has one, and it is terrible. Its makes his $800 ESP sound like my $250 Ibanez. You can do better if you keep searching. Try Peavey, Fender etc. - lower priced Marshalls are normally crap, but people still buy them because their higher priced amps have such a good reputation
~3.6 billion years of evolutionary progress have led to this post~
alright then what do you guys think of the fender hot rod deluxe.

i played someone else's at a gig and it seemed fine, any crap on that?
-John Bunyan
Ah, that's more like it! Fantastic amp in my opinion. Fender cleans are great, but the distortion isn't fantastic for heavier stuff. Not sure how they'd deal with a OD pedal as a boost, that would probably help though.
Quote by BGSM
Ah, that's more like it! Fantastic amp in my opinion. Fender cleans are great, but the distortion isn't fantastic for heavier stuff. Not sure how they'd deal with a OD pedal as a boost, that would probably help though.

Yeah, pedals are no problem for me, im loaded.
-John Bunyan
Wait for some other peoples opinions on it - I've played though one, but only on the clean -> boost channels.
DONT DO IT!!!!!

Get a used Mesa Boogie F-30 or F-50 for anywhere from 400 to 600. They sound fantastic. A lot of people on here have them. They sound amazing.

EDIT: They also are very versatile. I believe a lot of people here can tell more about them, and Mesa has them discontinued, but you can still look at all the specs on the Mesa website. These are fantastic amps for the price.
Fender American Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Standard
79 Gibson Les Paul Custom
Suhr Pro Series S5
Ovation Custom Balladeer
Mesa Boogie Mark IV with 4x12 Recto Cab
Looking for Ibanez RGA model or Petrucci PM me for details
Quote by matteo cubano

loaded as in "loaded with cash"?..or loaded as in "loaded with overdrive pedals"?

You should take a look at the Traynor tube combos. They do the Marshall tone very well and can get heavy too.

Edit: Luthier, thats exactly why I asked.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
Last edited by _KurtCobain_77 at Jul 19, 2008,
I just have to say that for practice, MG's aren't as bad as most people in here want them to be... Now dont throw chairs at me, but if you're just going to practice, then I get some pretty neat tones out of it... Just had to defend them a little..

But when it comes to gigging, they don't cut it... Turn the volume past 9 o'clock, and it suddenly dont have balls...

So yeah, try out some tube-combos, its usually the best for your type of music...

I often play a Hughes and Kettner Edition Tube at band practice, and they have a really sweet classic rock sound, maybe not the best clean channel out there, but the OD is beautiful!

Don't know if you have the chance to try one out, but if you can, its definetly worth a look!
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Takamine G Series 6&12 string accoustics

Marshall JCM 800 50w 1987 (4 input)
Marshall 1936 Cab

Jim Dunlop CryBaby
MXR 10 band EQ

R n'fn' R!
Last edited by Sl4Sh_Jr. at Jul 19, 2008,
Quote by Sl4Sh_Jr.
I just have to say that for practice, MG's aren't as bad as most people in here want them to be... Now dont throw chairs at me, but if you're just going to practice, then I get some pretty neat tones out of it... Just had to defend them a little..

But when it comes to gigging, they don't cut it... Turn the volume past 9 o'clock, and it suddenly dont have balls...

So yeah, try out some tube-combos, its usually the best for your type of music...

I often play a Hughes and Kettner Edition Tube at band practice, and they have a really sweet classic rock sound, maybe not the best clean channel out there, but the OD is beautiful!

Don't know if you have the chance to try one out, but if you can, its definetly worth a look!

But why practice with a 100w SS amp that sounds like ****e when you can practice with a 2w or 15w SS amp that actually sounds decent?
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
I'd go for a Laney.

And yeah, if your 'loaded', why not go for better amps than the HRD and the MG?
Quote by _KurtCobain_77
But why practice with a 100w SS amp that sounds like ****e when you can practice with a 2w or 15w SS amp that actually sounds decent?

Well ofcourse you can find better practice-amps, I am just sick of people harassing the MG's all the time... And i did not talk specifically about the 100w, i was talking mg's in general... but ofcourse with more wattage, you get more headroom, and you can play louder without having to crank it, which is when it bails out....

I am not saying that MG's are a GOOD amp, im thinking about people that are starting up, and are just going to practice...

And again its a matter of preference... Its only when i mix in some chourse and reverb that it sound decent for lead tone.. if its completely dry, its crap...

my point being, you can find worse....

Sry... of track...
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Takamine G Series 6&12 string accoustics

Marshall JCM 800 50w 1987 (4 input)
Marshall 1936 Cab

Jim Dunlop CryBaby
MXR 10 band EQ

R n'fn' R!
Last edited by Sl4Sh_Jr. at Jul 19, 2008,
Quote by matteo cubano

You're loaded, yet you only want to pay a penny-pinching $700 for an amp?

Loaded you may be, but you're evidently also a cheap-ass
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Get a tube amp if you're gigging with it. Trust me the tubes sound better the more you turn it up.

The Classic 30 would do well. you only need about 30 watts in a tube amp... or even 15. But if you want a really good value amp with versatility look into the Traynor YCS50.
dont buy any of these, they are all overrated
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.
Quote by matteo cubano

dude go with the Hotrod Deluxe bro for your budget it is a sweet amp. Personally I love mine. The drive channel does need eqing and dialing but you can find a desired tone. Since you have both a strat and SG you will be able to experience all of the amp's tonal qualities.

The humbuckers in your g400 SG will make the drive channel sound so good. I have a strat and it sounds alright but when my buddies plug in their humbucker equipped guitars the drive channel sounds way better. The clean channel of the amp is beautiful for blues tone and jazz. You can easily crank it and get great tube drive and breakup.

definitely play one and buy it if you like it. If you don't like the Hotrod check out the Epiphone Blues custom it is also a great affordable tube amp with a lot of tonal options don't let the epiphone name throw you off its a sweet amp.
get the hot rod if you only want cleans but then again if you only want cleans and pedals for tone get a used twin reverb

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Quote by forsaknazrael
HRDs have pretty awful, OD, IMO. Just mushy, not really usable, on its own.

That's just my opinion.

lol you really hate hot rods

but your right

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Quote by LuthierofTexas
^ I hope he doesnt mean loaded with cash and yet hes still looking at those amps.

lol, no pedalwise im set.
-John Bunyan
You'd get much a better tone and better value for money with a Roland Cube (if you're after a SS that is).
^ he says he plays a mixture of stuff- granted if he'd name some bands he likes the tones of, that'd help even more.

Quote by matteo cubano

much better than the mg, but i'm not too fussed on its overdrive channel. it's cool for blues, country and jazz, not so much for rock or anything heavy.

have you tried any traynor ycvs? the ycv40 or 50 might be worth a look. basically a bit like a hot rod, only with an overdrive channel which doesn't sound and play like total ass.

If you can stretch your budget slightly more, the kustom coupe 36 watt combo is excellent. great cleans, very good overdrive (which can get pretty heavy, too). that'd be my choice for something capable of both great cleans, and great overdrive/distortion which can get pretty heavy when required.

EDIT: mesa f-series is worth a look too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
There was a guy recently who had two different tube amps blow out on him at a gig so I wouldn't recommend a tube amp based on that...

....kidding.

$700 - $1,000 is great range for both new and used tube amps. I don't think the HRD is the right amp tho John Mayer type cleans only. Classic 30 or Laney's would be better options.
I've gigged a couple of times with the 100. Its sh.it.
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez GRG170DX
Peavey Vypyr 75
Fender Princeton 650 DSP w/ Celestion 80w speaker
Page 1 of 2