Page 1 of 2
The number of places I've been to in the past month or so is just ridiculous. I swear, it's damn near impossible to get a job when you're 16. In the rare event that there is a job going that you think you might have a chance of getting, they dismiss you on the basis of your age or that you have no previous experience.

How am I supposed to get experience is you won't let me work? I apply for places where there's vacancies and they don't even bother getting back to me to say "No thanks, someone who isn't a teenager has come along". Fucking pricks.

Another place- vacancy sign in the window, yet they say I have to apply online. I go online and there's "No jobs available at this location". What the bloody hell? Looking for a job has to be the most annoying thing ever. I've handed in CVs at Asda, Boots, Debenhams, Madhouse, Sainsburys, TK Maxx and H&M, but what the hell is the point really? Who am I kidding, they're not going to ever look at it again.

Any guys in a similar situation to me?
I got a job in River Island by googling model answers for the application form. You COULD try that...
Nope, I recently landed me a part time job. Then again, I am 4 years older than you, and I think flirting with the rather attractive assistant manager during the interview helped.

My tip- send CVs EVERYWHERE. It doesn't matter if they don't have a vacancy sign, just mail them to every place you can think of.
Same thing happened for me. Then I tried Wal-Mart. I work at Wal-Mart now.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
Quote by Tom_hatton

Yeah

It's a shame no-where wants first time workers. People have to start somewhere, but where?
Quote by bananahammock
How many mods does it take ban half of the pit?
one, Carmel.

▼▼▼▼▼▼
▼▼ ▲ ▲▼▼
▼▼▼▼
▲ ▲▲ ▲
Quote by benjy118
Yeah

It's a shame no-where wants first time workers. People have to start somewhere, but where?

The bottom.
RULE BRITANNIA
Quote by Graveworm
Yeah brotha!

*crowd chants*

white powa! white powa!

In all seriousness, it sucks...

*Reported*

That's highly racist.

Quote by cobain_is_king
The bottom.

Even the bottom wont take a 16-17 year old with no past job.
Quote by bananahammock
How many mods does it take ban half of the pit?
one, Carmel.

▼▼▼▼▼▼
▼▼ ▲ ▲▼▼
▼▼▼▼
▲ ▲▲ ▲
Quote by benjy118
*Reported*

That's highly racist.

Wow.
Quote by Ez0ph
I remember that

Quote by Firenze

Quote by Graveworm
Yeah brotha!

*crowd chants*

white powa! white powa!

In all seriousness, it sucks...

I thought you were OK up till now.
Quote by Iluvpowerchords
It's them damn GOOBACKS!!!

They took ARR JERBS!!!

Quote by Ez0ph
I remember that

Quote by Firenze

Ask nicely at a place for a job, if they decline just go home. Then while listening to classical music neatly lay out all your weapons on the floor and take a picture for your social networking site. Then go back to the place and spare no-one.
One good thing about being a teen in America is that we have millions of fast food places, and that is a good place to start. Low pay, bad hours and supervisors always on your back, which breaks you in for the rest of your life in the work force...hahahaha.
Quote by dale-banez

my gear:
oh wait, no one cares

Quote by uncboy19
man all guitars are female. if they werent you couldn't make sweet love to them with your fingers. ok somebody better quote that ****. thats like quantum guitar **** rite there.
Quote by Tom_hatton
The number of places I've been to in the past month or so is just ridiculous. I swear, it's damn near impossible to get a job when you're 16. In the rare event that there is a job going that you think you might have a chance of getting, they dismiss you on the basis of your age or that you have no previous experience.

How am I supposed to get experience is you won't let me work? I apply for places where there's vacancies and they don't even bother getting back to me to say "No thanks, someone who isn't a teenager has come along". Fucking pricks.

Another place- vacancy sign in the window, yet they say I have to apply online. I go online and there's "No jobs available at this location". What the bloody hell? Looking for a job has to be the most annoying thing ever. I've handed in CVs at Asda, Boots, Debenhams, Madhouse, Sainsburys, TK Maxx and H&M, but what the hell is the point really? Who am I kidding, they're not going to ever look at it again.

I am in that exact situation
Quote by shredder.cheese
One good thing about being a teen in America is that we have millions of fast food places, and that is a good place to start. Low pay, bad hours and supervisors always on your back, which breaks you in for the rest of your life in the work force...hahahaha.

Seriously, there's a ton of jobs in America, and if you look hard enough you can find a good one.
Not really in that situation.

Through people I know I'm getting a cut in a waiting list for a pretty good paying job. It's just heavy lifting, and not bad excersize. I'm all ready for it, just gotta wait till November

EDIT: Eh, just keep at it. You'll land one eventually, even if it's not something you enjoy. Which many jobs when you're young aren't. I got myself a lucky break, and hopefully you'll hit one as well.
When you saw me sleeping
thought I was dreaming
of you...

I didn't tell you
That the only dream
Is Valium for me
Last edited by Td_Nights at Jul 19, 2008,
I'm in that situation as well. Sucks especially because I need money atthe moment to by recording gear and pay for train tickets.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Did I ever tell you how much I love you?

[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']My father once said to me "Son, masturbation can stunt your growth and make you blind".

I said "I'm over here, shorty".
Yeah i know how you feel i have done it and all my mates seem to get jobs fine but me being the smarter one who would work more hours never gets looked at.

Welcome to earth.

UG Mods really have no sense of humour.....

I've heard that getting a job in the UK is much more difficult.

I could get one, but I have no way to get to work.

Quote by Chobes
Seriously, there's a ton of jobs in America, and if you look hard enough you can find a good one.

+1 man, that's one good thing about living in America. I got offered a job at the lumber yard my uncle supervises, but I have no way to get there.

All they wanted me to do was sweep sawdust and put it in the furnace. Paid 10 dollars an hour, but I don't have a license yet (see: thread I just started)
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Last edited by dudetheman at Jul 19, 2008,
My neighbor is the owner of a Chic-Fil-A down the road from me and offered me a job but I don't want it. My ex works there and she said everyone there is a super Christian and I would end up dunking people in the hot oil. That, and they drug test.

But job's these days seem to be all about who you know. If you know someone you will get the job. If you dont, you just gotta keep calling the place asking if they looked at your application. It shows them you have dedication at least.
Quote by The_Paranoia
But job's these days seem to be all about who you know. If you know someone you will get the job. If you dont, you just gotta keep calling the place asking if they looked at your application. It shows them you have dedication at least.

I'm pretty much guaranteed a job at my Mom's place, but I have to wait till I turn 17 (end of December). I think I'll give a couple of places a ring on Monday, ask what the situation is.

Anyway, I'm going to bed because I have a geetar lesson tomorrow. G'night everybody.
I managed to get a job in Tesco as soon as I left school. It's not what you know, its who you know.

Try Tesco, though if you get a job in TK maxx, let me work there plz, get first pickings on the occasional decent piece of clothing/footwear that they chuck in amongst the ****e.
I know what you mean. I live in a very business-like area (There's lots of small stores and other places of interest around), so I applied for several of the. Only one had the decency of getting back to me, and the rest didn't even call me to notify me of their decision to deny me. Oh well, there's always next summer...
It all makes sense
We're capable of beauty
Through sounds that make on cringe
The dogs only hear us now

i used to have that problem, but i quit both of my jobs and haven't even bothered to look since. honestly, if you just keep trying, you'll eventually find one. i know it's discouraging when places don't call you, but just keep trying. that's the only way you'll get one.

i make 60 dollars a week donating plasma and that's more than enough for me.
That was basicly my summer situation. And I don't have a car too so that makes it even harder. So now I'm going to try the Red Cross and see if I can go through training to become a lifeguard at the local pool.
"The rule of law -- it must be held high! And if it falls you pick it up and hold it even higher!" - Hercule Poirot

© Soul Power
Ah, the old catch-22 siutation. You need experience in order to get a job, but can't get a job to gain experience due to lack of experience.

Probably the best way to "break in" to the the world of work, so to speak, would be from a friend. See if any of your friends know of any positions going at any of the places that they work, or if a local shop is in need of any help.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
HELLO?! You think it's hard getting a job at 16? Try being 14. D:
I NEED THE MONEY. But:
1) No experience
2) Too young.
3) I'm short which doesn't help

Yeah it sucks. But you should try something small first. Therefore getting "experience."
If there's no one beside you when your soul embarks ,
then I'll follow you into the dark.
Quote by loveSCENE-girl
HELLO?! You think it's hard getting a job at 16? Try being 14. D:
I NEED THE MONEY. But:
1) No experience
2) Too young.
3) I'm short which doesn't help

Yeah it sucks. But you should try something small first. Therefore getting "experience."

Canadians have jobs?

I thought your gov't just paid for all your stuff.

When you saw me sleeping
thought I was dreaming
of you...

I didn't tell you
That the only dream
Is Valium for me
^^^ ROFL. Nah we have jobs. The government just lies to make themselves look good DAMN CONSERVATIVES.
If there's no one beside you when your soul embarks ,
then I'll follow you into the dark.
I too am sadly in this position...Except..The difference is that, I haven't applied anywhere. But, everywhere I hear about a job opening, I got to check it out, and the spots already been filled.
I got my job with contacts.

Best way to find a job.
Need fashion advice?

Quote by PaperStSoapCo
I wish I had a dick like a black guy instead of my little white dick.

Quote by JoelTheShredder
i love you more than words can express jean.

I saw Rick Astley in Quebec City, on April 10th 2009. Best day of my life!
Quote by benjy118
*Reported*

That's highly racist.

No, it's not.
Last.fm

WE ARE THE MUSIC MAKERS
AND WE ARE THE DREAMERS OF THE DREAMS
Page 1 of 2