Page 1 of 2
well I've been looking for an amp for quite some time and everytime I think I find something better then my last one I change my mind so here is my idea.

I need a brit (IE. EL34s or 84s) voiced amp. I was looking at the budda superdrive 18... I think that would be a great amp for me. But I've been thinking that it might be a bit to low gain for me. and was reading a couple articals and stuff and I'm thinking that the splawn competition might be better for me http://www.splawnguitars.com/images/comp08gw.jpg.

I've heard they are just hot rodded plexis with a bit extra gain so it'll do JCM800 tones also.

so I'm wondering if it would be more worth it to spend an extra 400 or so dollars on the splawn or just I stick with the budda??
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
id say budda... but if you're looking for a awesome marshall copy (ive never tried a splawn sorry) look for "ceriatone amps... AMAZZING copies and damm cheap... im hoping their bluesbreaker copy to be my next amp
Quote by just17n8
id say budda... but if you're looking for a awesome marshall copy (ive never tried a splawn sorry) look for "ceriatone amps... AMAZZING copies and damm cheap... im hoping their bluesbreaker copy to be my next amp

I was originally gonna get a ceriatone but decided that with shipping and everything for the plexi I might as well just buy the real thing or something better
Quote by gregs1020
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
ooh... great then... you seem to know your stuff... since ive never played a splawn.. i say budda, those are some damm reliable amps.

that my 2 cents
Hughes and Kettner Edition Tube.... if not for my 800, id have one of those... im into guns n roses, which is sort of "hair-metal/blues"
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Takamine G Series 6&12 string accoustics

Marshall JCM 800 50w 1987 (4 input)
Marshall 1936 Cab

Jim Dunlop CryBaby
MXR 10 band EQ

R n'fn' R!
Quote by Sl4Sh_Jr.
Hughes and Kettner Edition Tube.... if not for my 800, id have one of those... im into guns n roses, which is sort of "hair-metal/blues"

I dunno about that I've never played one (I haven't played a splawn either I guess lol) but I'll look it up
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
so what kind of bands do you like ? just so i can get an image of what kind of tone your after
Gibson Les Paul Standard

Marshall 1936 Cab

Jim Dunlop CryBaby
MXR 10 band EQ

R n'fn' R!
Quote by Sl4Sh_Jr.
so what kind of bands do you like ? just so i can get an image of what kind of tone your after

Blues:
Eric Clapton
Jimi Hendrix
Buddy guy

Classic rock:
Boston
Kansas
Van Halen

Hair metal:
Guns'n'Roses.
Whitecross
Def Leppard.

and then I like like Eric johnson Joe bonammasa (that isn't how you spesll that lol) stuff like that.

I'll be back in like 45min to check again gotta get my pizza lol
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
well the Edition Tube will pull of those tones very smoothly! I've actually heard that Eric Clapton used the old verision of this amp for a while back in the days, and it has plenty of gain for guns, so it should suit youre needs well! If you have the chance, try it and see if you like it i think you will¨¨

Edit: Theres a couple of sound-clips here, not the best way of telling if you like the amp, personally i dont think those recordings show the amp very well at all, but check it out... http://www.hughes-and-kettner.com/products.php?mode=prod&id=93
Gibson Les Paul Standard

Marshall 1936 Cab

Jim Dunlop CryBaby
MXR 10 band EQ

R n'fn' R!
Last edited by Sl4Sh_Jr. at Jul 19, 2008,
Quote by Sl4Sh_Jr.
well the Edition Tube will pull of those tones very smoothly! I've actually heard that Eric Clapton used the old verision of this amp for a while back in the days, and it has plenty of gain for guns, so it should suit youre needs well! If you have the chance, try it and see if you like it i think you will¨¨

Edit: Theres a couple of sound-clips here, not the best way of telling if you like the amp, personally i dont think those recordings show the amp very well at all, but check it out... http://www.hughes-and-kettner.com/products.php?mode=prod&id=93

how much is it? and is it EL34 or 84?
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
bump
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
the Splawns kill man. Just fantastic sounding amps, they have that big Marshall snarl in the mids, and the notes just bloom. Tight, super responsive, and very articulate. Just a joy to play. The 3 footswitchable gears will take you from hotrodded Plexi all the way to over the top hotrodded JCM800 tones. Plenty of gain to take you all the way into metal if you wanted. Also has a footswitchable solo boost, and 2 footswitchable voicings, OD1 and OD2, where OD2 adds a little sag for solo playing, or just if you dig that in your tone. The comp has a half power switch to run at 25W if you want too. Killer amps in the Marshall vein, only better than anything Marshall has come out with in many many years. Completely hand made with great build quality and high quality parts, along with a lifetime warranty. Scott is very easy to talk to, and very responsive if you have questions. Check out their forums, and look at some of the clips they have. I can't say enough how great these amps are man, they are the kind of amp you just like more and more as you keep using them.

EDIT: and yeah, forsaknazrael is correct. These are SUPER loud amps, I mean they still sound good at low vols, but it goes from mouse fart to ear blistering with a couple clicks on the vol control. They are built for the stage, and that's where they really shine.

also forgot to mention, any custom cosmetic options you want are included in the price.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at Jul 19, 2008,
wow... erock... I'm really thinking that the splawn might be for me now lol.

umm wow.... lol

forkanzrael I wouldn't get the quickrod I don't think I would probably get the compitition.

I would be using it on stage. infront of anywhere from 100 to 500 people and the stages are just gonna get bigger cause I'm moving to a new church and city for that matter.
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Quote by forsaknazrael
It's my understanding that the Competition is essentially a like lower wattage version of the Quick Rod, without a clean channel.

Just saying.

yup, that's exactly what it is. It's voiced almost exactly like the lead channel from the Quickrod.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by forsaknazrael
It's my understanding that the Competition is essentially a like lower wattage version of the Quick Rod, without a clean channel.

Just saying.

cool thats what hoping for lol awesome. gonna have to add a fun to my sig lol..

400/1500 lol

whats a good speaker for the cab? I was thinking a greenback and alinco blue
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
ok thanks...
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
yeah, their forums is the place to ask. Splawn actually sells their own custom Eminence speakers too. The Small Block 25 is based on the heritage GB IIRC.
amp clips
amp vids
thanks for the help guys
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
well after reading up and listening to sound clips splawn it is over the budda.
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
I don't know what you play but I'll be fine with out GREAT cleans, I as long is I can get a cleaner sound it'll be fine.

the Budda is great i found one to play and liked it alot but from what I'm hearing on youtube and from you guys the splawn is better for me imo.

It's a hot rodded plexi/JCM800 so it'll be perfect for me
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
yeah I saw that, that is amazing tone. I like single coils and all for cleans and thats about it but that sounds amazing for such saturation. they are usually to chimey and bright for me but that is such a fat full sound out of them and it's amazing how clear and how much definition there is with the chords for how much saturation there is
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
yeah, I think you're going to love it man. I'm mainly metal player, but the quickrod I had made me want to play hard rock with it, it just inspires you it sounds so good. I have a clip of my old Quickrod, no post EQ or processing, just straight up guitar and amp. This is thru a Krankenstien cab too, lol
http://www.netmusicians.org/files/46-quickrodrocker.mp3
amp clips
amp vids
I think I'll love it to. It's just a matter of time......muahhahaha lol.

but yeah I heard that clip on your profile it is easily my favorite of your clips I like it alot

wouldn't have guessed krankenstien though... what do those have in em?

I"m thinking I'm gonna get a 2x12 though i don't need a 4x12. and from what I've been reading the greenbacks V30s and G12H's are all good choices

the V30s are a bit to tight for me and when I was thinking about buying a real plexi I was told greenbacks and alnico blues but I'm gonna read some more on that
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
thanks man. The Krankenstein is loaded with Eminence Texas Heats. They have a pretty balanced midrange, so it tends to work well with the real midrange powerful amps. The V30 sort of have a spiked mid to upper mid, so it almost washes out with a powerful midrange. Greenbacks are great man, I love their woody breakup, but you're going to have to watch the power handling if it's a 1x12 or 2x12. The 2x12 should be fine since it's 50W total, but Scott's amps are very conservatively rated too. I would also seriously consider the Eminence line, Scott loves them for a reason. The SB and BB are some great speakers that tend to compliment his amps very nicely.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Erock503
yeah, I think you're going to love it man. I'm mainly metal player, but the quickrod I had made me want to play hard rock with it, it just inspires you it sounds so good. I have a clip of my old Quickrod, no post EQ or processing, just straight up guitar and amp. This is thru a Krankenstien cab too, lol
http://www.netmusicians.org/files/46-quickrodrocker.mp3

What settings did you use for that?
Quote by forsaknazrael
What settings did you use for that?

that was gain at about 3:00, volume at about 9:30, OD 1, gear 3, 100W. I also used the clean channel with the same settings. The guitar was an Ibanez RG570 w/Bareknuckle Miracle Man pups, all on the bridge position.
amp clips
amp vids
I will look into those speakers
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Quote by forsaknazrael
Gear 3, interesting. Cool. Thanks.

two mic setup?

np man
yep, SM57 and a Sennheiser E906. The Senn was direct on the cone, the SM57 was on the rim of the cone, both on the same speaker.

Quote by Bostonrocks
I will look into those speakers

definitely worth looking into man. Very reasonably priced, and a great sounding speaker. PM Windsen on here or the Splawn forums. He loves to talk Splawn, and has very extensive experience with all kinds of speakers and the Splawn amps. Not to mention he is an absolutely smokin player.
amp clips
amp vids
Post some clips when you do get it, I hear great things about Splawn amps. Matrix Claw got a Nitro or a Quickrod. Can't remember which one. He changes amps like I change clothes, lol.
Fender American Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Standard
79 Gibson Les Paul Custom
Suhr Pro Series S5
Ovation Custom Balladeer
Mesa Boogie Mark IV with 4x12 Recto Cab
Looking for Ibanez RGA model or Petrucci PM me for details
I think I would just get the Splawn 2x12 it's the same as a loaded Avatar I think so I'll just search around some more no big deal.
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Quote by Bostonrocks
I think I would just get the Splawn 2x12 it's the same as a loaded Avatar I think so I'll just search around some more no big deal.

they are great deals for the build quality and materials man. They rival the big names as far as construction, they are priced very reasonably, and they are road proven. IMO, one of the best values for the price out of any cabs.
amp clips
amp vids
ok. you sold me. I"m not gonna be able to test one out So I'm gonna go read as much as I can on these things but I'm pretty sure I'm sold on a Splawn Comp and 2x12
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Page 1 of 2