Page 1 of 2
Does anyone else's state have a really annoying licensing process?

I'm 16, and I live in VA. This is our licensing program.

When you're 15 and 8 months, you get a learner's permit (we all know how it works.) Well, throughout tenth grade you have to take Driver's Ed in school. During that time you have to document your driving in a log which asks for a ridiculous amount of details (Date/Minutes Driven/Mileage/Day or Night/Weather Conditions). You have to have 40 hours of driving logged in by the time you're 16 and three months. Ten of those hours have to be at night and ten have to be in inclement weather.

After all that, you FINALLY get to drive with the driving instructor for a week. You must get ten hours of driving done with them. Finally, if you drive well enough and the driving instructor passes you, they forward your information to the court. A court date is established on which you get your PROVISIONAL license.

Once you have the provisional, you can drive alone or with only one other passenger who is under 18 and isn't family. You have this for 90 days, and if you don't have any accidents for the 90 days, then, at last, you get a real license.

I think it's a drawn-out load of bullshit. Does anyone else go through stuff like this or is it just our crappy state?
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
I think North Carolina's is perfectly fine.

First you have to take drivers ed, you can start when you turn 14 and a half. You can get your permit when you're 15, and your restricted license when you've had your permit for a year. 6 months after that, you can get your unrestricted license.
right here you get your permit at 15, license at 16, that's the way its always been...but I do have to wait a year and a day for my license to come in, ironically I get my license on 9/11.
In England, we have to pay for driving lessons, about £25 an hour. You can learn from the age of 17 (last time I checked). You must take a 50 question driving theory test before you can take your full test. You can drive on a provisional license as long as someone is in the car who is over 21 and who has been driving for over 3 years, and you don't go on motorways. Simple really.

I'm learning at the moment, it's bloody expensive.
Not that bad here.

I took an 'extra' course, so I get my license after 16 years and one month rather than 16 years and 6 months.

Now I get to feel important because none of my friends did this as well.
When you saw me sleeping
thought I was dreaming
of you...

I didn't tell you
That the only dream
Is Valium for me
In SC you have to be 15 to get a permit and you have to wait until you are 15 1/2 to get your restricted after taking drivers ed of course
Quote by Aaron the 4th
GAYS...we don't hate that your gay we hate that your proud of it
Quote by Eric 666
ironically I get my license on 9/11.

It might be ironic if you were an Afghan ex-WTC worker applying for a pilot's license in order to join the US Air Force to fight your previous employer, Al-Qaeda ...
14 years and 9 months, you can take driver's ed. You drive with the instructor, and take a class. If your instructor thinks you can drive well enough and you get at least 80 correct on a 100-question test, you pass and get your permit (drive with a parent/adult over 21)

You can get your restricted license at 16 after taking Segment Two of Driver's Ed (just classtime with a couple tests)

It's only restricted in that you can't drive without an adult between 12 and 5 am, no restrictions on number of people in the vehicle.

When you turn 17, the Secretary of State sends you your Level 3 unrestricted license.

I like the system, personally. BOOYA MICHIGAN!

EDIT: You only get the level 3 if you go a full year with your license without any moving violations. If you speed and get caught, the year starts over But I haven't gotten any yet! 3 MORE MONTHS!
<Han> I love Hitler
Last edited by HaKattack at Jul 19, 2008,
its great in ks. nothing is rly required, just roll up the day u turn 16 and take a 20 question test or so, and u can only miss 4 or 5 i think. then, they giv u a 30 day license, and send u ur offical DL in the mail. but i passed drivers ed, so i think u hafta take a short drivng test if drivers ed wasnt taken.
PA its not bad but they dont force drivers ed on ya. All they do is give ya the PA drivers manual and say study and come when your ready for the learners permit test. THen we need 50 hours of driving in any condition. Then we take the license test. You dont really need to read the manual either. There is a lot of common sense bull. There was that one marijuana question though.
in texas its pretty straightforward, really. you can start drivers ed as early as 14, get your permit when your 15, and after 6 months with the permit you get your provisional, and keep that until your 21 when it digivolves into a real liscense.

or something like that
Last edited by bobjim at Jul 19, 2008,
Here in CA it's like this:

1. Driver's Ed
2. 15 1/2 get your permit
3. Drive 40 hours/do driving lessons w/ instructor
4. Pass driver's test
5. Provisional license - Can drive yourself anywhere, but can only drive w/ somebody else if there is somebody over 25 in the car and can't drive between the hrs of 11pm-6am
6. LEGIT license - after a year of having provisional license, you can drive after 11pm and can drive with anybody you want in the car

Ugh I am so glad I'm done with all that...
YEAH
In Michigan, you can start Driver's Ed at 14 and 8 months. I took it this summer; you must have 24 hours of classroom time (which was a HUGE waste of time) and 6 hours of driving with an instructor. Of course, these were spread out over a few weeks.
Then you get your learner's permit. You must have a parent/gaurdian/other over 21 in the car with you.
You need 30 hours of driving experience (not that strict about the exactness of it, I don't think) and 180 days of having a Learner's Permit before you can take Segment II of Driver's Ed, which includes 6 hours of classroom time and idk how much driving with an instructor. Then after Segment II, you must turn 16 and have 50 hours of driving experience with 2-10 (idk how much it was) at night. Then you get your license. There are some minor restrictions until you turn 18 and get your full license.
At 16 you're allowed to get your "temporary" license. It allows you to drive with someone who has had their full license for two or more years. Now you either take driving courses and wait 8 months, or take no courses and wait 1 year, and after your 8 months or year, you can take the test with an instructor for your full license.
Quote by dudetheman
Does anyone else's state have a really annoying licensing process?

I'm 16, and I live in VA. This is our licensing program.

When you're 15 and 8 months, you get a learner's permit (we all know how it works.) Well, throughout tenth grade you have to take Driver's Ed in school. During that time you have to document your driving in a log which asks for a ridiculous amount of details (Date/Minutes Driven/Mileage/Day or Night/Weather Conditions). You have to have 40 hours of driving logged in by the time you're 16 and three months. Ten of those hours have to be at night and ten have to be in inclement weather.

After all that, you FINALLY get to drive with the driving instructor for a week. You must get ten hours of driving done with them. Finally, if you drive well enough and the driving instructor passes you, they forward your information to the court. A court date is established on which you get your PROVISIONAL license.

Once you have the provisional, you can drive alone or with only one other passenger who is under 18 and isn't family. You have this for 90 days, and if you don't have any accidents for the 90 days, then, at last, you get a real license.

I think it's a drawn-out load of bullshit. Does anyone else go through stuff like this or is it just our crappy state?

you're not alone, TS, this is practically IDENTICAL to the MD licensing process.

EDIT: the only difference is you don't need the 40 hours before the time with the instructor, the time you have to get is 60 hours, but that is at ANY time before you take the actual test.
Begin again in the night, let's sway again tonight.
Your arm on my shoulder, your cheek against mine.
Where can we go, when will we find that, we know.
Last edited by sadSTATUE at Jul 19, 2008,
nsw in australia we have all those details and more we get our learners permits at 16 and you have to do 120 hours of driving 20 have to be at night @TS
I am me. Live with it.
I remember after I took my test for my permit (which I didn't have to wait long for and didn't take long to do) I had to get my picture taken. I waited for about an hour until it was me and one other guy. They call, "Next," and the other guy (he was there before me) goes up.

Guess what?

The ****ing camera breaks. Not only that, the ****ing database completely crashes. Basically I sat there for an hour because they told us it would be back up momentarily. Guess what? They were wrong. Someone had to fly in from the headquarters of the company that provided the computer program from Massachusetts, and I had to go in the next day simply to get my picture taken.

*pout*
14 Years you can get your learners and drive as long as someone in the car has a class 5 licence. At 16 you take a written and driving test.

This is Alberta, Canada.
Quote by DeAd-RiP
nsw in australia we have all those details and more we get our learners permits at 16 and you have to do 120 hours of driving 20 have to be at night @TS

Damn, that's weak.

Makes me feel better about mine though.

I already have all of my hours done. I'm 16 and one month, so I still have to drive with the Driver's Ed teacher and then go to court to get my provisional.

Almost there, but it's been a shitty process.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
in georgia you can get your permit once your 15 and im not sure what you have to do for your license i think you have to do some "joshua's law" stuff then take a road test. you can do that after youve had your permit for a year and a day i believe
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
Quote by DeAd-RiP

Haha yeah i know how it is, i just got my full NSW license the other week. They've really become tight with the licensing process.

Get your learners at 16, do 120 hours (20 at night) with someone who has a full license or an instructor. Max speed is 80km/h, zero alcohol allowed.

Get your 1st level (red) provisional license at 17 (these are the youngest ages you can get them at), so you can drive alone but there are still restrictions. Very strange rules here. If you are under 25, you can't drive with more than 1 passenger aged between 17-21 after 11pm till 5am, unless that passenger is a family member. You're not allowed to drive powerful cars either unless you get special permission. Max speed of 90km/h, zero alcohol allowed.

Get your 2nd level (green) provisional license when you turn 18 and have been on red plates for at least a year. The only restriction is you're only allowed to drive up to 100km/h and still zero alcohol allowed.

Then finally you can get your full license when you turn 20 and have been on green plates for 2 years. A couple of years before i got my learners you only had to spend a year on P's before getting your full license.
Quote by dudetheman
wall o' text

i know... at least your driving instructor got to you...i'm still waiting

and where do you live in VA?
Quote by carmel_l
Frenchy's red.
Finally, true communism will ensue.
I think
E-Married to the very beautiful Epic_Cleavage also soon to be married to Epic_Cleavage, aka the beautiful Ms. Joanna Moore
well in a nutshell...

Learner License Information
Learner License - To earn a learner license, you must be at least 15 years old

You must provide :

One primary and one secondary form of identification, which must be original or certified,
Social Security Number, if issued Chapter 322, Florida Statutes, requires the Department to collect social security numbers for the issuance of driver license and identification cards.
Proof that you completed a Traffic Law and Substance Abuse Education course (check your local yellow pages under ‘Driving Instruction’ for a location near you) or a license from any state, country, or jurisdiction, and
Parental Consent Form, which must be signed in the presence of a driver license examiner or notarized if parent or guardian will not be present (form is located at http://www.flhsmv.gov/html/forms.html). If you are under 18 and are not married one parent or legal guardian must sign your license application. Step-parents may not sign unless they have legally adopted you.
You are required to take:

A Written Test covering the following areas:
Road Rules – 20 multiple choice questions about traffic laws – must have 15 correct answers to pass.

Road Signs - 20 multiple choice questions about road signs – must have 15 correct answers to pass.

Florida Driver Handbook

Vision Test using an eye machine. To pass, you must have 20/40 (or better) vision in each and both eyes, with or without corrective lenses.
Hearing Test
With your Learner’s License, you may:

Only drive during daylight hours during the first three months and until 10 p.m. thereafter, always with a licensed driver who is at least 21 years old and occupies the front passenger seat.

Operator’s License (16 and 17 year old) - To earn an operator’s license, you must be at least 16 years old AND have held a learner’s license for at least one year without any traffic convictions.

You must provide:

A Florida Learner’s License or a license from another jurisdiction.
Parent or guardian certification that you have at least 50 hours of behind the wheel driving experience, of which 10 hours must be at night.
You are required to take:

Driving test and perform certain driving maneuvers. Please refer to the Florida Driver Handbook for specifics or present a waiver from an accepted driver education course.
With your Operator’s License, you may:

16 years old – only drive between 6 a.m. and 11 p.m., unless accompanied by a licensed driver who is at least 21 years old and occupies the front passenger seat, or you are traveling to or from work.
17 years old – only drive between 5 a.m. and 1 a.m., unless accompanied by a licensed driver who is at least 21 years old and occupies the front passenger seat, or you are traveling to or from work.
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
lol in mexico you go the place, pay 50 bucks and in half hour you get your brand new license, I got mine without knowing sh*t about driving, that was about 2 years and still haven't crashed xP
TS, I think that the process for you will end up making you a better driver in the end. Here in the UK, we don't need to do a certain amount of time in certain conditions (rain, snow, night) and we have a stupid amount of accidents. And the driving log doesn't seem that "ridiculous."
Here it isn't bad.
14 you get your learners, have to drive 40 day hours and 10 night hours but you don't even have to keep track, then you can get your restricted at 15 with more hours, then you can get your license at 16, but if you take (optional) driver's ed you don't have to take the actual test to get your real license.
DRINK APPLE JUICE
O.J. will kill you
At 14, although the state wants you to start at 14.5, but 14 is the minimum age when you can begin Driver's Education. At 15, you can apply for your learners permit, but you have to have taken drivers ed the mandated period and pass.

After exactly one year, you can take a test at the Department of Motor Vehicles and apply for your drivers license.

The first six months of your license, however, is on a probational period where you are only allowed to be out no later than 9 o'clock at night, unless your workers permit is licensed for work after 9. You are also only allowed to have one person in the car. But multiple family members are allowed. And you can't have a cousin and a friend in the car at the same time, and the multiple family may only apply to the immediate family.

After your probational period, you can still only have one person in the car, and the same rules above, however, you can drive as late as you please. This ends once your 18.

Oh and unless you're 18, you can't talk on a cell phone. However, come August, no one is allowed to talk on a cell phone unless using a blue tooth/headset device.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Quote by cm_punk_fan
i know... at least your driving instructor got to you...i'm still waiting

and where do you live in VA?

Oh, my instructor hasn't gotten to me yet.

I haven't even gone back to school yet. As soon as I do I'm turning in my 40 hour log, then I'll be put on the list. I hope I get to drive before September, because that's when I get my license.

I'm in Southwestern VA. The name of the city is Martinsville.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
dude i live in bath county i'm only about 100(?) miles away
Quote by carmel_l
Frenchy's red.
Finally, true communism will ensue.
I think
E-Married to the very beautiful Epic_Cleavage also soon to be married to Epic_Cleavage, aka the beautiful Ms. Joanna Moore
From the understanding of mine
15 1/2 you can get a "permit" we call them "temps"
16 you can get your license, but you have to go to driving school (which can cost a lot if your school doesn't provide it) It is somewhat provisional, I don't know the specifics, but it is like you can only drive so many minors and not at a certain time and stuff like that
18 you get your real license
21 you get a horizontal license instead of a vertical one (and I think you can somewhat train younger drivers)
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
hey guess what? read the first two posts.

I used to live in north carolina. when i was fifteen. i got my permit, and i got my license. I moved to virginia, guess what?

i have to do all THAT shit now!!

Yeah. The rumors are true. I'm a twat.
Here you sit a written test for your learners license. Six months later you can sit a practical test for your restricted license, which means you can drive alone but you can't carry passengers who aren't licensed drives. Then it's either 12 or 18 months (depending on whether you sit a defensive driving course) until you can sit another practical test for your full license. Then once you have your full license you have to wait 2 years until you can instruct a learner driver.
Quote by cm_punk_fan
dude i live in bath county i'm only about 100(?) miles away

I know where that is!

If I'm ever in the area we can jam sometime.

(As soon as I get my license, of course )

To DeliriumBassist: I know, the whole process is for the best, but that doesn't dilute the annoyance.

Also, to a chronic procrastinator, the log DOES seem ridiculous.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
Quote by lucky69
hey guess what? read the first two posts.

I used to live in north carolina. when i was fifteen. i got my permit, and i got my license. I moved to virginia, guess what?

i have to do all THAT shit now!!

Bummer. When i moved from SC to NC, they counted the time I'd had with my SC permit so that I got my NC license 1 year from when I got my SC permit.
You have to pass a test in school and if you fail then you go to the DMV and take the test till you get over 80 then you drive for 6 hours with a instructor. Then you get your permit at 16 then at 17 you get your provisional then at 18 your real license.
Quote by alkalineweeman
If by "clean" you mean "get a finger right up in there and do a good bit of spelunking" then i guess "at any given opportunity" is my answer.

mah hardcore band
http://monstersvsaliens.bandcamp.com/
You don't have to follow the whole "can't have more than 1 person" rule, that is, if you're a good driver. Not like the cops will automatically know and pull you over, you have to do something illegal.
Join cashcrate to make easy money. It may be tedious, but it does indeed work! Easily make $100 in about a week filling out random surveys.
Quote by podliver
Here in CA it's like this:

1. Driver's Ed
2. 15 1/2 get your permit
3. Drive 40 hours/do driving lessons w/ instructor
4. Pass driver's test
5. Provisional license - Can drive yourself anywhere, but can only drive w/ somebody else if there is somebody over 25 in the car and can't drive between the hrs of 11pm-6am
6. LEGIT license - after a year of having provisional license, you can drive after 11pm and can drive with anybody you want in the car

Ugh I am so glad I'm done with all that...

dam you I'm just starting, I think you need 50 hours driving practice though, and 10 have to be at night
Page 1 of 2