Page 1 of 2
Hello, I have a Krank Revolution full stack, 20w version, and I need MORE distortion. Would an EQ pedal help? I don't want to get a distortion pedal because they always make it sound digital. Recommend me something.
boost it with a OD pedal?
Too tired and lazy to bother with a sig, Sorry.
What is there a question mark at the end for? Are you asking me or recommending it? If your recommending it, can someone tell me if it will jack up my tone or not?
yes. if its a tube amp, it will.
OD pedal. It will boost the gain giving you distortion rather than an actual distortion pedal to give you distortion on the spot.
Jackson King V KVX10
Line 6 Spider III 75 W.
Peavey 5150/6505 Combo to be owned at the end of 2010.
if it has tubes (which i assume it does), get an OD or an Eq with all the levels up to the top. if its solid state, get a new amp.
Gear
Ibanez RG2EX2
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Strat
Homemade EVH
Marshall JCM 800 Combo

Quote by freshtunes
its not so much that i feel guilty about masturbating, its the things that i masturbate to that make me feel guilty.
btw your settings on the pedal should be Gain @ 0 Level full. And how loud are you playing?
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
i THINK that it either was jimi hendrix or tony iommi who tore tiny holes in the speaker of his amp for the 'natural' effect of fuzz/OD.
id recommend any OCD boost pedal, or a boss sd-1
^^no, that's not any kind of answer here.

od is what he's looking for, if he wants to push his amp at lower volumes.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by tariqkhoso
i THINK that it either was jimi hendrix or tony iommi who tore tiny holes in the speaker of his amp for the 'natural' effect of fuzz/OD.

Link Wray actually.

Either way that's far from the answer here. The first question I would have to ask is: are you sure you need more gain? The Rev Jr should have gain on tap, why do you need more?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Link Wray actually.

Either way that's far from the answer here. The first question I would have to ask is: are you sure you need more gain? The Rev Jr should have gain on tap, why do you need more?

actually, like a million people. lots of 50s rockabilly guys, all the way to the beatles and many many more
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by chea_man
actually, like a million people. lots of 50s rockabilly guys, all the way to the beatles and many many more

Link is the one that's really famous for it though.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
yep, like everyone is saying, grab an OD and smack the front end of the preamp. Those things love boost pedals. If you can find one used at a good price, the Krank Krankshaft is voiced to work very well with their amps, and I like using it with other amps just as much. It's based on the OD808 sound, just tweaked a hair and more aggressive. Pedal gain down, pedal level up, and tone knob to taste. Tightens and adds some hair.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
there is no way you could need more gain when using that amp. i tested it once and you could play death metal with the gain at 7.
Well Im playing on these settings:
Gain: MAX
Treble: 9
Mid: 4
Bass: 9
Sweep: 5

And it doesn't have that much distortion, the tone is ****ing amazing, but the palm muted E's dont sound that heavy.
Quote by dlmebag

And it doesn't have that much distortion, the tone is ****ing amazing, but the palm muted E's dont sound that heavy.

Muck around with the EQ.
Quote by dlmebag

How loud is it?
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
An overdrive will work..Im not a fan of signature models..
but the wylde overdrive is the only OD pedal i ever used
that was too hot...lol
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Quote by al112987
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuM6-rPXQgE

Is this the amp in question? How in the world does that not have enough gain for you?

Anymore, and your sound will muddy up like a swamp.

he's using a Krankshaft boost pedal too in that vid.

I already answered, look 6th page.) I used the Krankshaft pedal. KrankJr - Bass 2, Volume ~ 5-6, Sweep ~5-6.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by al112987
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuM6-rPXQgE

Is this the amp in question? How in the world does that not have enough gain for you?

Anymore, and your sound will muddy up like a swamp.

That video is what's inspiring me to sell my 5150 combo and buy a Krank Rev Jr. Pro in August. I love the tone. I will also be receiving a krankshaft and decimator for my birthday.
Do they really lack gain stock?
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
To get more gain out of your amp you simply need to add on Overdrive pedal as other have mentioned.

The other option is to use a distortion pedal over your clean channle but I assume you want to just improve your amps distortion.
Gear:

07 Gibson LP Vintage Mahogany
90-91 Fender MIJ '62 Reissue Strat
Fender Acoustic/Electric
Marshall TSL601 Combo
Crybaby Wah
Ibanez TS-9
Boss Tu-2
Quote by xMikeyxMetalx
That video is what's inspiring me to sell my 5150 combo and buy a Krank Rev Jr. Pro in August. I love the tone. I will also be receiving a krankshaft and decimator for my birthday.
Do they really lack gain stock?

besides the fswitchable cleans, the Pro series is supposed to have a bit more preamp gain too, so it could make quite a difference. BTW, in that vid, he's also using a decimator.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Erock503
besides the fswitchable cleans, the Pro series is supposed to have a bit more preamp gain too, so it could make quite a difference. BTW, in that vid, he's also using a decimator.

ahh perfect!
I'm kind of looking for a less generic tone than my 5150 and hopefully better lead tones, and better cleans so this should do right?
I'm really excited for this one!
It'll be nice to not have to call my dad to help me carry my 5150 upstairs whenever i take it somewhere.
Guitar:
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Quote by xMikeyxMetalx
ahh perfect!
I'm kind of looking for a less generic tone than my 5150 and hopefully better lead tones, and better cleans so this should do right?
I'm really excited for this one!
It'll be nice to not have to call my dad to help me carry my 5150 upstairs whenever i take it somewhere.

not sure about the cleans man. The Rev has some good cleans, but you have to consider the much lower wattage is going to limit how clean it's going to stay at higher volumes. It's a loud amp for 20W though, and I definitely preferred the Rev cleans over the 5150. It might be something you need to test out first though.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Erock503
not sure about the cleans man. The Rev has some good cleans, but you have to consider the much lower wattage is going to limit how clean it's going to stay at higher volumes. It's a loud amp for 20W though, and I definitely preferred the Rev cleans over the 5150. It might be something you need to test out first though.

Yeah thats the only thing i'm worried about, as i don't gig now it's mainly for recording. But if i do, i don't use cleans a ton, just for a few parts in songs I've written. Hopefully my guitars volume can get rid of a little dirt on it. I also might play with my church musical, we go on tour to a couple other cities in the midwest and the 5150 will be too heavy and the cleans will suck too much. The amp will be mic'd as well so i won't have to worry about volume.

Testing it is the other thing that bothers me, i can't find any minnesota dealers, the only one is a two hour drive.
Guitar:
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Quote by xMikeyxMetalx
Yeah thats the only thing i'm worried about, as i don't gig now it's mainly for recording. But if i do, i don't use cleans a ton, just for a few parts in songs I've written. Hopefully my guitars volume can get rid of a little dirt on it. I also might play with my church musical, we go on tour to a couple other cities in the midwest and the 5150 will be too heavy and the cleans will suck too much. The amp will be mic'd as well so i won't have to worry about volume.

Testing it is the other thing that bothers me, i can't find any minnesota dealers, the only one is a two hour drive.

ahh, if you're mic'ing it, that should help a lot. It's a pretty conservatively rated head too, 2 x 5881 can easily put out 50W realistically. Ideally, testing it yourself is the best bet. However, I think you'll be ok if you are going to have a decent mic setup and PA.
amp clips
amp vids
Why he needs more distortion is beyond me, but to each his own I guess. I tried one out about a week ago and there was plenty of gain on tap to do any type of metal. I think I had the gain on like 7. Maybe he just needs to play around with the sweep knob a little.
Quote by Erock503
ahh, if you're mic'ing it, that should help a lot. It's a pretty conservatively rated head too, 2 x 5881 can easily put out 50W realistically. Ideally, testing it yourself is the best bet. However, I think you'll be ok if you are going to have a decent mic setup and PA.

yeah even if im gigging with my band we'll probably have a PA, theres no good metal drummers around, so we need to play the drum machine and the vocals through.
Thanks for the help, I'm even more excited about this amp now!
It comes out in August right?
Guitar:
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Quote by xMikeyxMetalx
yeah even if im gigging with my band we'll probably have a PA, theres no good metal drummers around, so we need to play the drum machine and the vocals through.
Thanks for the help, I'm even more excited about this amp now!
It comes out in August right?

that's what I've been hearing, but no confirmation. They are also supposed to be coming out with a combo form, which also might be pretty interesting. I would probably still prefer the head/cab though, I like being able to use different cabs, and combos just start getting too heavy, I'd rather just make 2 trips or use both hands.
amp clips
amp vids
I had an Maxon OD808 and I found the boost to be pretty negligible.But I'm in the minority.

What tuning are you in? The easiest way to sound heavier is by tuning down more.
5150 Combo
LTD Viper 400 (EMG 81/85)
Quote by stigma15
What tuning are you in? The easiest way to sound heavier is by tuning down more.

Guitar:
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Quote by stigma15

Down tuning does not a heavy riff make.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Probably obvious, but fresh strings will output much more volume than older faded strings.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Down tuning does not a heavy riff make.

Never said it did. But compare a C# Sabbath riff to a E# Zeppelin riff.Stylistically and amp-wise,they aren't dissimilar. But the Sabbath riff (e.g. Under the Sun) sounds a hundred times heavier.

When I think of heavy, I think of Crowbar and Despised Icon. I think you can get a much better heavy sound by tuning down than just slopping on more distortion. And every band that doesn't tune down sounds pussy to me.
5150 Combo
LTD Viper 400 (EMG 81/85)
Quote by stigma15
Never said it did. But compare a C# Sabbath riff to a E# Zeppelin riff.Stylistically and amp-wise,they aren't dissimilar. But the Sabbath riff (e.g. Under the Sun) sounds a hundred times heavier.

When I think of heavy, I think of Crowbar and Despised Icon. I think you can get a much better heavy sound by tuning down than just slopping on more distortion. And every band that doesn't tune down sounds pussy to me.

ever heard of opeth?
they don't tune down 15 steps and their riffs still sound heavier than the bands you listed, its all about how you write the riff, not how low its tuned.
Guitar:
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Page 1 of 2