I found a peavey XXL head with a crate 4x12 cab with footswitch for 400 bucks on craigslist. The only damage is that the knob for the master volume is missing, but it can still be manipulated. For the past few months Ive been looking at triple XXX combos but on ebay they all go for over 500 not including shipping. Would this be a good deal at 400 bucks with cab, and how good would the resale value be?
Gear:
Modded Steinberger Spirit (white) (SD-AH/EMG Select)
Modded Steinberger GP-2R (white) (EMG81/60)
Peavey XXL head
Hughes and Kettner Cream Machine
Hughes and Kettner Blues Master
Nice value, however I prefer tubes. It's not going match up to the XXX.
Well i was thinking a XXX head and a nicer cab would run approx. a grand plus shipping, so hopefully when i try this thing out tomorrow ill see if its worth not spending another 500 bucks for a XXX. (the guy who is selling the XXL also has a XXX)
Gear:
Peavey XXL head
My advice is be patient. I got a XXX half stack for 600 on ebay, although i recently got a different cab(it came with a peavey 5150 cab), but that crate cab it comes with is probably complete crap so you would need a new one.
been scoping out ebay for a few months now. I might be able to wait a bit longer, but shipping even a combo is 50-70 bucks which pushes alot of items out of my range. But if i find a 60 watt triple XXX combo for under 500 with low shipping, i would be a happy person.
Gear:
Peavey XXL head
I understand its hard to find deals that good, but i definitely wouldn't go solid state(although peavey does make good solid state amps), tube is just so much better, especially if you are gigging.
i played with an XXL onstage a few weeks ago, run thru a marshall cab. granted, the tubes were probably fried (even tho somebody above said it didnt have tubes? i dunno its not mine), but it sounded like ASS. i spent HOURS (literally about 3 hours) tryin to manipulate it, but everything i got was muddy and disgusting in distortion n bland on cleans. it had nothin goin for it imo. save ur money up for a XXX, that sounds a lot better.
so i bought it and managed to get it into my car and get it home. So far it is a huge improvement over my old amp, and has a larger varieties of tone and volume levels.
Gear:
Peavey XXL head