I watched some high school performances today and also a dvd of my guitar teachers school classes playing some songs and I thought that it was all pretty cool.
But then I saw Buckethead (again) and I was astonished again at his mad skills.

Now.
What I really want to know is what you have to do to get skills like that? I've read that Zakk Wylde would take his guitar everywhere, even to school, Slash entirely dropped school for it, MAB has just been playing since a very age and Buckethead played for 8 years and got serious when he was like 19 or something.
I want to be able to play really awesome stuff someday that will have people just staring and thinking - "goddamn, that buttmunch probably has no life except for guitar" - but I don't want to be a school dropout or end up with a chicken bucket on my head.
I guess that practicing every day for hours could help...?
Anything else?
It doesn't take hours a day. A good hour or half an hour a day of efficient and directed practice is more than enough to enable you to achieve anything you want to on the instrument. There is no unique or inherent quality possessed by any of the people you mentioned that enables them and only them to play the way they do.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Satriani and Vai started in their mid-teens, but played for upwards of 8 hours every day, mainly to hone their shred technique.

Wes Montgomery didn't start playing until he was 19, and he is considered one of the best jazz guitarists ever.

Hendrix played in more than a dozen different small-time bands and traveled all over America living in poverty before becoming good enough to be labeled a guitar god. He had his guitar with him almost constantly.

How much you understand something increases in direct proportion with the amount of (productively-spent) time that you spend with it.
Last edited by blue_strat at Jul 19, 2008,
Yeah, like today I placed for 7 hours with my friend and it was fun but I usually don't play for over an hour a day because playing alone is kinda lame.

Oh yeah, is reading notes really that important?
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Yeah, like today I placed for 7 hours with my friend and it was fun but I usually don't play for over an hour a day because playing alone is kinda lame.

Oh yeah, is reading notes really that important?

If you want to communicate with other musicians, or play anything more complicated than pop music or generic metal, or learn anything about music theory more complicated than a few scales, it helps immensely (and is very nearly essential). There is absolutely no reason not to learn to read music.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
If you want to communicate with other musicians, or play anything more complicated than pop music or generic metal, or learn anything about music theory more complicated than a few scales, it helps immensely (and is very nearly essential). There is absolutely no reason not to learn to read music.

My guitar instructor said that we're gonna start with music theory sometime around September.
What would you guys say, how important is a band when learning to play an instrument?
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
My guitar instructor said that we're gonna start with music theory sometime around September.
What would you guys say, how important is a band when learning to play an instrument?

A very important tool.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
^^ Jamming and playing with other musicians is one of the best ways to learn. You can only learn so much about music and the guitar on your own.