which pedals should be put into the loop and which in the signal from the guitar to the amp. I think I have what should be where, but no positive. Such as with my ISP Decimator (I have in the loop), the delay is also in the loop. I think time based effects are in the loop, and others are out, but not sure. The only way I know about the noise supressor is because I read it in another thread. Thanks for any help.
Fender American Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Standard
79 Gibson Les Paul Custom
Suhr Pro Series S5
Ovation Custom Balladeer
Mesa Boogie Mark IV with 4x12 Recto Cab
Looking for Ibanez RGA model or Petrucci PM me for details
there was a thread that i posted where i asked the same question. it seemed that the answer was that anyhting distortion/gain wise is generally from the guitar signal, and chorus/delay/"clean" effects go into the loop. however, its all up to your discretion.

EDIT: heres the link...

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=875153

...hope it helps
Quote by Skierinanutshel
there was a thread that i posted where i asked the same question. it seemed that the answer was that anyhting distortion/gain wise is generally from the guitar signal, and chorus/delay/"clean" effects go into the loop. however, its all up to your discretion.

Okay, thank you. How about the noise suppressor? I think it goes in the loop, but to me, it would make more sense to put it in the guitar signal.
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Suhr Pro Series S5
Ovation Custom Balladeer
it's personal preference but i think your generalization time/modulation based effects go in the loop it true. there are some cool tricks you can do with a flanger but the trick doesn't work in the loop for some reason.
Current Gear:
ESP LTD MH-250
Ibanez rg470
Peavey ValveKing 112
Blackheart little giant head
2 homemade 112 cabinets
Boss SD-1
perhaps it makes more sense to put it into the guitar signal, cause thats where a lot of hum can come from. with a loop you put the effect in after the pre-amp(and after all hum from effects/guitar?) i am pretty sure, whereas the guitar is before, so maybe try both and see if which is quieter.
Quote by shredzilla
it's personal preference but i think your generalization time/modulation based effects go in the loop it true. there are some cool tricks you can do with a flanger but the trick doesn't work in the loop for some reason.

I have in a magazine somewhere in my house that would tell me, but I can't find it I You're wah i believe is supposed to come first, then any of your od/dist pedals (I have a few, but don't use them since I got my Mesa ) It's like a line your supposed to run down. I can't remember it though.
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Suhr Pro Series S5
Ovation Custom Balladeer
Quote by Skierinanutshel
perhaps it makes more sense to put it into the guitar signal, cause thats where a lot of hum can come from. with a loop you put the effect in after the pre-amp(and after all hum from effects/guitar?) i am pretty sure, whereas the guitar is before, so maybe try both and see if which is quieter.

I think that too. If it's in your guitar signal, then it will eliminate more hum i think? That's where you would think there would be the most hum.
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Suhr Pro Series S5
Ovation Custom Balladeer
i use a boss noise gate in my effects loop and it seems to work better for killing the hum. if it is between the guitar and the input, it doesnt eliminate much of the hum when i am playing in high gain, but it does work better for feed back there.

i keep my noise gate in the fx loop. its personal prefference. try it out and see how it sounds.
Dirty Sanchez
You might want to try running your delay after the ISP if it's in the loop. I've been told the gate can have an adverse affect on things like delays if it's after it.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids