hey guys, ive got a fender hm 412A im looking to put a head on, but the thing is, it has a stereo function, idk what that does, if the head has 2 output jacks that match the ohms it will work right?>

mono= 8 ohms
stereo=16 each

also, im not sure about the wattage, i think it has 4, 100 watt speakers
does this mean it has a 400 watt rating? only if its in stereo? if its in mono do i only get 200?

any questions can be answered to the best of my ability which isnt much

also, can anyone recomend some CHEAP heads like.. less than 200 or so
i played a freinds sprider 3 and i loved that sound so maybe ill save for one?
but if u guys know any hit me up

edit, since ive posted this ive been looking at the line 6 75 watt head, and it sais it has 2 4 ohm out put, if i used both on stereo would anything bad happen.. other than me having 1/2 the volume which is fin, i dont play live right now, or if i used on outpu and put in in the mono?

i need a different cab, this ****s confusing
Last edited by black-serenade- at Jul 19, 2008,
ok, for cabs, if it's in mono, it's using all the speakers in the cab. If it also has 2 seperate stereo jacks, then it is basically making it into 2 seperate cabs when you use those jacks.

If they are really 100W speakers, then in mono, it will have a 400W handling capacity. Each stereo jack will go to 2 speakers, so then each stereo side can handle 200W.

In order to really use the stereo option, you need to have a stereo head. That or you could use 2 seperate amps, 1 plugged into each stereo jack, so they would each use 1/2 of the cab. Most amps aren't actually stereo, the speaker jacks on the head are usually in parallel, so you can run multiple cabs. So for example, if you have 2 x 16 ohm cabs, the head should be set to 8ohm, as that is the load it's seeing. 2 x 16 ohm in parallel = 8ohm impedance load.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Erock503
ok, for cabs, if it's in mono, it's using all the speakers in the cab. If it also has 2 seperate stereo jacks, then it is basically making it into 2 seperate cabs when you use those jacks.

If they are really 100W speakers, then in mono, it will have a 400W handling capacity. Each stereo jack will go to 2 speakers, so then each stereo side can handle 200W.

In order to really use the stereo option, you need to have a stereo head. That or you could use 2 seperate amps, 1 plugged into each stereo jack, so they would each use 1/2 of the cab. Most amps aren't actually stereo, the speaker jacks on the head are usually in parallel, so you can run multiple cabs. So for example, if you have 2 x 16 ohm cabs, the head should be set to 8ohm, as that is the load it's seeing. 2 x 16 ohm in parallel = 8ohm impedance load.

well im using a combo amp as a head right now because the combo amps speakers deactivate when u hook up a cab, and its rating it 8 x2 but i only have one extra cord laying around so i use mono

im so confused, if i get that head and it has 2 4 ohm outputs and i put them in the 16's i read i could blow the output transformer or something similar.. and that sounds bad?
i dont really know what to do, cuz i dont want another combo amp if i have the cab laying around, then its useless but if i cant use the head with the cab theres not much point?
It depends if the head is tube or SS. With tube heads, you definitely want to match the impedances. So if it's a 16ohm cab, you want to use 16ohm on the head.

With SS, it's much more forgiving for impedance mismatches, just as long as you don't go below the minimum impedance rating. If you were using a SS head with 4ohm output, with a 16ohm cab, it's just going to be a lot less power actually getting delivered to the cab.

Is your combo amp right now a true stereo amp? What is the brand/model, and what is it rated at for power?
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Erock503
It depends if the head is tube or SS. With tube heads, you definitely want to match the impedances. So if it's a 16ohm cab, you want to use 16ohm on the head.

With SS, it's much more forgiving for impedance mismatches, just as long as you don't go below the minimum impedance rating. If you were using a SS head with 4ohm output, with a 16ohm cab, it's just going to be a lot less power actually getting delivered to the cab.

Is your combo amp right now a true stereo amp? What is the brand/model, and what is it rated at for power?

ya the head im looking at is SS, and the combo im using now is too, its a behringer gmx 212 and i think its stereo, it has 2 outputs but i only use one its rated at 120 watts
yeah, that amp is 2x 60W stereo channels rated at 8ohm, so you don't want to go under 8ohms per side. If that cab you have is 16ohm stereo jacks on each side, you could connect each channel to the seperate jacks, but since it's 16ohm instead of 8ohm, you'll only be pushing about 30W to each set of speakers.

Since you're only using one jack right now, and it's a true 2x 60W stereo amp, you are only using 60W right now.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Erock503
yeah, that amp is 2x 60W stereo channels rated at 8ohm, so you don't want to go under 8ohms per side. If that cab you have is 16ohm stereo jacks on each side, you could connect each channel to the seperate jacks, but since it's 16ohm instead of 8ohm, you'll only be pushing about 30W to each set of speakers.

Since you're only using one jack right now, and it's a true 2x 60W stereo amp, you are only using 60W right now.

ya, im not sure yet but maybe ill buy the head and the cab that goes with it, its more than i wanted to spend, but if i really like the sound i can sell my combo and cab i have now and upgrade in a few years, im still learning, and id probably break even if i sould my combo and cab for the head and cab

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-SPIDER-III-320w-4x12-Amp-Cabinet?sku=480986

apparently it was designed for the head and it shipps to canada, partyyyy
Quote by black-serenade-
ya, im not sure yet but maybe ill buy the head and the cab that goes with it, its more than i wanted to spend, but if i really like the sound i can sell my combo and cab i have now and upgrade in a few years, im still learning, and id probably break even if i sould my combo and cab for the head and cab

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-SPIDER-III-320w-4x12-Amp-Cabinet?sku=480986

apparently it was designed for the head and it shipps to canada, partyyyy

NO!
do not get a spider! for the price of a combo and a cab, you could buy a decent tube combo amp, instead of that terrible terrible spider.
Fender Standard American Stratocaster
Boss DS-1
Budda Budwah
Electroharmonix Small Clone
Vox AD50VT
Quote by deathbyawesome
NO!
do not get a spider! for the price of a combo and a cab, you could buy a decent tube combo amp, instead of that terrible terrible spider.

y wats wrong with spider, when i played my friends 30 watt it beat my gmx to ****
Quote by black-serenade-
y wats wrong with spider, when i played my friends 30 watt it beat my gmx to ****

yeah, honestly, you need to play a bunch of different amps in your pricerange. It might not sound so great to you anymore after you do. That head is kind of despised around here. There are a lot of very good amps in that pricerange that might be a lot more pleasing to your ears. It's basically a beginner amp with a pro pricetag because it's a halfstack.

Since you already have a cab, that opens up more possibilities too, especially if you can go used. I mean, if you play a bunch of other amps, and still love that amp the most, then get what you really want. You're the only one that's going to be playing it, so your opinion is the most important.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Erock503
yeah, honestly, you need to play a bunch of different amps in your pricerange. It might not sound so great to you anymore after you do. That head is kind of despised around here. There are a lot of very good amps in that pricerange that might be a lot more pleasing to your ears. It's basically a beginner amp with a pro pricetag because it's a halfstack.

Since you already have a cab, that opens up more possibilities too, especially if you can go used. I mean, if you play a bunch of other amps, and still love that amp the most, then get what you really want. You're the only one that's going to be playing it, so your opinion is the most important.

ya, i just wanted to make sure i wouldnt blow my cab or the head or anything doing the 4x2 thru my 2 16's
im just not sure

but thanks guys