Hey guys ,
I'm about to buy a guitar but i dont really want the 5 way switch that it comes with.

So my question is.. will it be possible to switch that and use a toggle switch like the one's on a gibson instead oppose to the switch used on fenders?

I have a squier right now [yay i'm finally getting a new guitar!] and the one i'm looking at is a schecter guitar

It has two volume knobs, if i turn on off i wouldn't be able to do the "lagg" effect that i could with a toggle switch if i had a 5way right?

I'm a teenager. I don't know much about the actual construction and how the hardware works on a guitar

Many thanks for all your help =] !

Cheers
lagg effect?
Gear:
Fender MIA Strat w/EMG SA's
Fender Super 60
Boss RT-20 Rotary Sim
Ibanez AD-9 Analog Delay
EHX Big Muff

"Doctor Kindly Tell Your Wife
That I'm Alive, Flowers Thrive
Realise, Realise, Realise"
He means like a kill switch. Have you played the schecter before? I think most of them have a strat-style blade switch, but with only 3 positions so you could use it as a kill switch. If it DOES have 5 positions, that means it has splitting and stuff, and it would probably be a good idea to keep it that for the tonal range.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
yeah just get a tremolo pedal if it has a 5-way
Gear:
Fender MIA Strat w/EMG SA's
Fender Super 60
Boss RT-20 Rotary Sim
Ibanez AD-9 Analog Delay
EHX Big Muff

"Doctor Kindly Tell Your Wife
That I'm Alive, Flowers Thrive
Realise, Realise, Realise"
nah the guitar only has two pickups on it.
It's not a big thing i guess
So if it only has two pickups is it still do-able?
If it has 2 pickups then yea the gibson style switch will work fine. You will have to mod the pickguard. The blade has the slot with 2 screw holes and the gibson just uses one big hole. And you may have to move its location a little to get it to fit right. If you wire it like a gibson with independant vol pots before the switch then yea you can turn one up and one down and get the kill effect.
Sorry i never mentioned what i was getting.
I'm getting a Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR.
So it doesn't have a pickguard
Tackleberry, you mentioned that if i had two volume pots for each pickup then i could do the killswitch effect? What if it was a five way switch with the two volume pots?
Lol ouch i wouldn't want to do that =/
So I could do it , but it'd have to cut a chunk of wood out and stuff?
That seems like too much of a hassle XD.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Indeed. It only has two pickups?
Should have a 3-way blade switch, can't see why it would have a 5-way.
you're right. it has a 3-way blade switch.

here's a link to the wiring diagram.

http://www.schecterguitars.com/schematic/schecter_HELLRAISERS_C1_and%20C-1FR.pdf
Quote by xAvengerX
Sorry i never mentioned what i was getting.
I'm getting a Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR.
So it doesn't have a pickguard
Tackleberry, you mentioned that if i had two volume pots for each pickup then i could do the killswitch effect? What if it was a five way switch with the two volume pots?
don't speculate on the what ifs. it has a 3-way and the volume controls are not wired to be "independent". so it does the killswitch effect perfectly. if one of the volume controls is turned to minimum, the output is shorted to ground unless pickup with the volume control not at minimum is the only one selected.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Last edited by SomeoneYouKnew at Jul 22, 2008,
If you dont have a pickguard then it will be an ugly process to use a gibson style switch. Its pretty simple to get a different pickguard but you will need to drill the body for this. And it would be difficult to cover the slot and holes from the old switch.