So I have this line6 100watt spider 210 combo,And the head recently took a crap.I have no idea what could possibly be wrong with it as it showed no signs of any sort. One day it worked and the next it wont even turn on.I took it apart but could see no burns and I couldnt find any fuses to change.So I am thinking of buying a new head to install in the combo.Of course I know there will be some mods to the cab needed.So First: Does anyone have any ideas to fix my head? And Any advice on the new head project?i.e; Type, how to etc>,Also Would A 150 watt head be too powerfull for the speakers?Thanks guys for any help.
shut up an play yer guitar
I'd scrap it. Spiders suck and unless your going tube don't bother. I'd get either a 100 watt solid state head or less. Anymore and you'll **** up the speakers if you turn it up past 4. In addition, the celestions they put in there suck so just buy yourself a decent small tube amp like what I am going to do :-D trust me, I have the bigger bro and it's not worth it one bit!
dead transformer maybe?
hav a pro check it
I don't need a signature to tell you I don't need a signature!
First,thanks for the replys. Yeah Ive been hearing ****ty things about spiders.But I cant afford to not use the speakers.So any more advice on builing a cab out of the speakers and what kind of head to use would be great.
Cmon guys, a little help. For starters,what do I need to do to hook a new head to the existing speakers.?
Quote by biginjapan
Cmon guys, a little help. For starters,what do I need to do to hook a new head to the existing speakers.?

Just wire a mono jack onto the existing speaker wires, then plug it into the amp.. having checked the impedance.

I don't know what the amps look like, but you could take the top panel off, cut the sides down by as far as the control section would have been, then secure the top back on. If you're careful, you should be able to preserve the tolex that's already on there, and not need to re-cover the cab.

Also, like you've said, having a cab already (even if it's not great) saves you a hell of a lot of money, especially if you've got to buy a new head as well.
Yea... I suggest you make a cab and buy one of these

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Crate-V-Series-V33H-33W-Tube-Guitar-Amp-Head-487052-i1372074.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Blackheart-BH15H-Handsome-Devil-Series-15W-Tube-Amp-Head-483096-i1400399.gc

They will be plenty loud enough!

I also suggest you wire the two speakers separate and not in series as the impedance goes from 16Ohm (in series) to 8 Ohms when separate. More cab's have 8 Ohm jacks and usually have two of them rather than 1 16Ohm jack if they have a 16Ohm jack.
Last edited by ESP_Shreder at Jul 20, 2008,
Youll find that not much else besides a modelling amp will sound very good thru the "celestions" used in spider amps.
Question? I have a 15watt crate head from a combo with a blown speaker.Now can I use this head?I know the original was 100 watts,will the 15watter be enough to push the speakers at all? Side note could this maybe be used as a bass mod since the lower wattage should protect the speakers? Any ideas?
it'll sound crap, but it should work. at least it wont overpower the speakers. If it is a guitar amp you can run it into a stero amplifier, then run the amplifier to the speakers. I did it with a little samick guitar amp, ran it into one channel on an old akai stereo amp and the to some speakers. You just have to keep the volume low on the guitar am or it will be too much power going into the stereo amp. Sounded like a marshal when i did it.
Quote by ESP_Shreder
I also suggest you wire the two speakers separate and not in series as the impedance goes from 16Ohm (in series) to 8 Ohms when separate. More cab's have 8 Ohm jacks and usually have two of them rather than 1 16Ohm jack if they have a 16Ohm jack.

Errm... That might be wrong.

If you wire two 8 ohm speakers in series there will be a total impedance of 16 ohms (8 + 8 = 16) and if you wire those same speakers in parallel the total impedance will be 4 ohms (1/8 + 1/8 = 1/4).

I'm pretty sure thats right. But TS, I would recommend you get a multimeter or something to measure it so you can know for sure. If you get it wrong you can kill your amp 10 times over
MaKing thE possiBlE...
...totaLlY impossible