Page 1 of 3
I know there's been threads on him already, but they're all pretty old, so I figured I'd start a new one. I have Rain Dogs and I think it's one of the best records of the 80's if not ever. He's up there with Dylan and Joni Mitchell as the greatest rock lyricist ever in my opinion. He has such well-developed characters and extremely vivid imagery, which I absolutely love. Discuss.
He is an amazing character. The music, the appearance, everything. I love the guy.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
Swordfishtrombones and Bone Machine are superfantasta-awesome.
My all gold grills give her cold chills
Said she gotta coke feel cuz I'm sooo trill.
Last edited by RHCP94 at Jul 20, 2008,
I just got Rain Dogs a couple weeks ago. That's some great stuff.

^I guess I'll check out those two next I suppose.
yeah, tom is great. i have a bunch of albums, but for some reason i don't have closing time yet. i need to change that...

i like rain dogs, alice, the heart of saturday night, and orphans the best though.
A few years ago, he put out a wicked three-disc compilation called Bawlers, Brawlers and Orphans. High quality. Also, Mule Variations and Closing Time.
Waits is a legend, I have Rain Dogs, Swordfishtrombones and some random songs. 9th and Hennepin ftw.
BTW, what album should I get next?
Quote by Guns N' r0ses
I think its 18 in california but I'm just wonderin cuz if i get caught then I can be like "well legally im allowed to watch it" and they'll be like "k koo"
Closing Time is really good. I like the how jazzy it is, as it meshes perfectly with his voice.
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Generic member of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati

Quote by mydarkesthour

It seems like UG is full of those Caveman Metalheads

Quote by mydarkesthour
I meant caveman as in long haired....

Tom Waits is good, although sometimes he kind of gets on my nerves. I much prefer his more common-sounding songs (e.g. Time, Hang Down Your Head, Downtown Train) to his absurd, theatrical stuff to be prefectly honest. Although some of the wierd stuff is brilliant as well. I was completely obsessed with Singapore for some time. He seems to be a pretty cool guy too (I mean, on a personal level etc).
Quote by bah humbug
Waits is a legend, I have Rain Dogs, Swordfishtrombones and some random songs. 9th and Hennepin ftw.

Bone Machine.
Small change is brilliant.

I also like "lie to me" I think it's off a collection of b-sides or something. Great video though.
Quote by bah humbug

mule variations would be a safe one to get next. alice is great, the heart of saturday if you like his more traditional type music, orphans has a lot of gems on it (if you're willing to shell out 30 dollars+ for it), blue valentine is also one i like a lot.

hope that helped.
Quote by bah humbug

Small change. Gotta be small change.
I have Blue Valentine and Used Songs (a compilation). Both are fantastic.
Also he is in (as well as his music) a lot of Jim Jarmusch films, some of which are very good.
I did not get my Spaghetti-O's, I got spaghetti. I want the press to know this.
Executed by injection, Oklahoma.
~~ Thomas J. Grasso, d. March 20, 1995.

Lyrics/Poetry

Fires Burning
Rain Dogs, Swordfishtrombones, Mules Variations, and Bone Machine

i cant get enough of this guy. amazing writer
<//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\>
I'm going to just listen to most of his discography today. Starting off with the VH1 Storytellers bootleg.
Like-father, like-son rebels bloated on korn, eminems and bizkits. Lord hear our prayer take back your Amy Grant mosh-crews and your fair-weather politics
I have every album. I love it all. Rain Dogs is my favorite though. I love how he does every genre...tango, soul, blues, ethnic songs, jazz, old swing, then songs that are all '50s like Union Square. He freakin rules.

He and Iggy were awesome in Coffee and Cigarettes.
Quote by tarlkea
When I say offensive I mean offensive like dressing up as superman in a wheel chair offensive, not penis suit offensive.
Quote by JustMimes
I'm going to just listen to most of his discography today. Starting off with the VH1 Storytellers bootleg.

I never even knew he did a VH1 Storytellers.

/jealous
Quote by Skin the Sun
Also he is in (as well as his music) a lot of Jim Jarmusch films, some of which are very good.

He's actually a surprisingly good actor. He's also in Short Cuts, which is one of my top 5 favorite films ever, and he delivers a great performance in that movie.
I was watching The Cotton Club today, which he is in.
hes an amazing musician and story teller. ive been listening all my life.
i finally read on the road by Jack Kerouac though and its obviously a massive influence on Mr Waits so anyone whos a fan should give that a read!
What I love about him is that all his albums are so different.. For me, there's no best Tom Waits album.
The book's called "On the Road"? If I find it, I'll sure give it a look.
Can someone recommend me a more stripped down Waits album? Not his theatrical stuff, not his jazzy stuff. I'm more kind of looking for a folky album of his? If he's got any, that is.
Quote by DownInAHole.
Have you heard Closing Time yet? That one's pretty simple.
All I've heard from him is Rain Dogs and one of my favourite songs from that album is Time, so I'm pretty much looking for an album with more of those kind of songs. Stripped down, kind of folky, you know? I'd love to hear a more... reserved Tom Waits.
I'd suggest Mule Variations. It shows similarities to Americana and folk.
I have Swordfishtrombones, Rain Dogs, Frank's Wild Years, and Bone Machine. I like all of them, but I think Frank is the weakest. Any of his other albums have a lot of percussion heavy songs?
do any of you guys have nighthawks at the diner? i'm listening to it right now and there's really some great stuff on it. i love the little side chats tom does with the crowd, he's just such a cool guy.
Quote by HiImKindaNewAnd
I have Swordfishtrombones, Rain Dogs, Frank's Wild Years, and Bone Machine. I like all of them, but I think Frank is the weakest. Any of his other albums have a lot of percussion heavy songs?

Bone Machine. It's hard to get into it, it's really dark and stripped-down and just gloomy overall. Still great, as is any of Mr. Waits' albums.
I also have a few old concert bootlegs, they're really funny, all those jokes he tells... Genius.
Whenever I go to the Rock N' Roll Hall Of Fame this weekend, I'm going to sit in the lobby and demand they induct Mr. Waits. I will not leave until my demands are met.

Well not really.

"Union Square" makes me go nuts when I hear it. Such a great song.
rain dogs took like four years to grow on me, but i'm slowly beginning to appreciate the more unorthodox songs. his lyrics are amazing.
Member of the We Have Better Taste Than You club
PM DorkusMalorkus with a list of your favorite bands to join

last.fm
Anyone that's likes Tom Waits needs to check out Man Man. There was a recent thread on them, and it can't be farther back than the second page. I actually listened to Waits after Man Man, but it's clear that he made a big influence on them, especially with the unusual instrumentation and emphasis on percussion.
Quote by Hasil
A few years ago, he put out a wicked three-disc compilation called Bawlers, Brawlers and Orphans. High quality. Also, Mule Variations and Closing Time.

i think the cd set is called orphans and each individuall disc has its own name Bawlers,brawlers,and bastards
Page 1 of 3