I've been wondering and thinking alot lately. Why is it in the bass world that pick players always get ****storms? I mean, there are TONS of amazing bassists that soley use picks, yet somehow all the douche "bass purists" find ways to discredit their abilities as musicians. Finger players will call them "failed guitarist" or emo fags. Is it because they only play "TeH RooT nOtes Doood"? Thats my only conclusion so far...

Why oh why oh mighty Bass Pit?

I rather listen to a solid picker then some dicktree popin'slappin'&tappin' Claypool/Wooten/Flea ****.

Can you guys explain the racism?
Because bass noobs don't realize that using a pick is just a way for someone to get different tones and play certain things.
it's a stereotype, plain and simple. And just like any other stereotype, it has a foundation in fact, but ends shortly after that. Many bassists DO play with a pick because they look at the instrument as a 4 string electric guitar, while many bassists play with a pick for extra attack and speed.
[IMG]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y5/Fuzzycows5157/canada.bmp[/IMG]
it's all just a matter of preference. It's just like saying musicians that you dont like suck just because you dont like them. Oh and some people are elitist douche bags
well i have nothing against people who use a pick(i personally dont)but people who just play the root note in even quarter notes are not talented.i mean you can play root but groove it.everything has a groove.and btw claypoole/wooten/flea=my favorite bassists.dont hate on people with talent just because your heroes have none.
In our attempt to seek individualty,we have all become the same

Im so hardcore I could kick a puppy right now
What? You need to shut your mouth. Some people play with a pick, some people slap. Give it the hell up already.
I use a pick sometimes. I usually use a banjo style thumbpick so I can switch between fingers and picking. it works ok.
I never get any BS about that. people figure there has to be a reason for my unusual choice.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Yea, it's just a stereotype. I do give some bassists crap for it though. When I see a bassist who has his Mids scooped to hell, using a pick and chugging an open B string I think "Failed guitarist". There are some great bassists that play with picks. I've seen a local band who's bassist was ****ing loud, sounded like his mids were around 6 or 7, had a nice middle between the drums and guitars and he used a pick....Gave it a nice punchy sound that complimented the guitars nicely. I mostly play with my fingers but I'll jam with a pick sometimes so I can get a different tone.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by Hergiswi
What? You need to shut your mouth. Some people play with a pick, some people slap. Give it the hell up already.

I'm not hating on styles of play. There is no "best style" which is what I suspect I am being accused of. Its just amusing to see the mallcore babies bassheads s h i t on pick players who don't realize the whole slap and tap bass bull**** has become a complete anacronism of itself....

I rather listen/see a bass player who fits well into a bands sound then a guy who can pull off all kinds of tricks like the "solo" guys i.e. Wooten, Claypool, Berlin. Though they are techincally amazing, I doubt they could play in many standard rock bands because they are so "look at my amazing s h i t" oriented.
Last edited by Pizza The Hut at Jul 20, 2008,
I think a lot of it is personal preference, in addition to ignorance...I don't like the tone of most basses played with a pick, but with the right amp, bass, or a combination of the two, it sounds great to my ears.
Nope, no sig here.
Quote by Pizza The Hut
I'm not hating on styles of play. There is no "best style" which is what I suspect I am being accused of. Its just amusing to see the mallcore babies bassheads s h i t on pick players who don't realize the whole slap and tap bass bull**** has become a complete anacronism of itself....

I rather listen/see a bass player who fits well into a bands sound then a guy who can pull off all kinds of tricks like the "solo" guys i.e. Wooten, Claypool, Berlin. Though they are techincally amazing, I doubt they could play in many standard rock bands because they are so "look at my amazing s h i t" oriented.

Another bassist I know is much more unusual in technique, yet played for the Allmans on a reunion tour. Micheal Manring? don't start any new stereotypes Pizza. us bassists have enough of those.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by Pizza The Hut
I've been wondering and thinking alot lately. Why is it in the bass world that pick players always get ****storms? I mean, there are TONS of amazing bassists that soley use picks, yet somehow all the douche "bass purists" find ways to discredit their abilities as musicians. Finger players will call them "failed guitarist" or emo fags. Is it because they only play "TeH RooT nOtes Doood"? Thats my only conclusion so far...

Why oh why oh mighty Bass Pit?

I rather listen to a solid picker then some dicktree popin'slappin'&tappin' Claypool/Wooten/Flea ****.

Can you guys explain the racism?

*reported*

We get too much of these kinds of threads..
Quote by Pizza The Hut

Wooten HAS a band and it's pretty awesome, look for Bela Fleck and the Flecktones.
Claypool has a ton of bands.
Standard rock bands suck, that's why it's called standard. Normal is just another word for mediocre.
Pizza, can't you do anything on this forum but bitch, moan and argue? Seriously grow up. Did you ever here of Primus, Les Claypools band? And you doubt anyone could play "standard" rock, you mean root notes? Anyone can do that, root notes are what make up alot of Popular Rock music these days.

Just because you don't like the Solo bassist style doesn't mean the rest of use don't appreciate it.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
in my opinion picking takes the fun away from bass but thats my personal preference and also pick is a bit to easy.
I dont look down apon people for using a pick, I just think it defeats the purpose of playing bass in a small way. SMALL WAY.
Different methods produce different results of sound and rythim and some people dont like that, its just human preferance.
Quote by MoshPitRock
ANIMALS LIE DOWN.
that's just what they do.
there's probably humans doing the same thing.
quit being so paranoid.

I use a pick for better attack and when i want to play faster

i use fingers when i want to play slower and with less agression.

you just change styles depending on what you want to play.
The Official "Rockin' Roadie"

-Lakland Skyline 44-02
-Fender Marcus Miller Jazz
-Fender MiM Precision
-Fender TC90 Thinline
-Squier Stratocaster w/mods (1989)
-Orange Dual Terror
-Marshall Valvestate 8280
-Marshall VS412
-Various pedals
Quote by White-Chocolate
*reported*

We get too much of these kinds of threads..

Agreed. And they always end the same way. Closing thread.