I recently purchased a Mesa Boogie express 5:25 which does everything I want amazingly with the exception of metal. I am looking for a metal sound at low volumes and I thought maybe a EH Metal muff with top boost would do the trick. I hear alot of people saying go for overdrive instead or boost pedals but I think more volume is required for these to be come effective. I also have read about EQ pedals that are apparently very good at adding to your sound. I really am against using too many effects and just letting the amp breath but I would really love some metal tones to complete this amp because it does everything else so well and with cleans that are like crystal. Any suggestions on pedals that might be helpful Distortion, OD or EQ? Thanks in advance.

PS I saw the Kerry King 10 band EQ from MXR has a gain control. Would this pedal function as an EQ and distortion pedal?
1st Schecter 8er? in UG's 7 String Legion
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Shoulda bought an F series man.

I think a good OD would be able to boost it to metal territory no problem though, just not sure if it'd have enough balls for it. The regular 10-Band MXR EQ has a gain control as well and can be used as a boost, the Kerry King one is a waste of money unless you're going to use it with two amps.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw

I think a good OD would be able to boost it to metal territory no problem though, just not sure if it'd have enough balls for it. The regular 10-Band MXR EQ has a gain control as well and can be used as a boost, the Kerry King one is a waste of money unless you're going to use it with two amps.

+1,000,000

Seriously, the F series is one of the best amps Mesa makes. F series and the Mark series is what i would reccomend to almost anyone. I am getting an F-30 sometime soon because in college, they told me for the jazz/blues band, I have to get a different amp, and there's no way in hell I'm selling my Mark IV. I'm just going to get an F-30 as well. I found one in a music shop brand new in some type of custom shell for 700. They're holding it for me until Tuesday so I can go get it on my day off from work. Can't wait.
Fender American Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Standard
79 Gibson Les Paul Custom
Suhr Pro Series S5
Ovation Custom Balladeer
Mesa Boogie Mark IV with 4x12 Recto Cab
Looking for Ibanez RGA model or Petrucci PM me for details
Quote by MatrixClaw

I looked for an F-30 trust me but couldn't find one. Two days after the Express had been purchased someone offered me an F-30 out of nowhere so I guess theres a conspiracy going on :P So anyways any good OD pedals in mind? Just out of curiosity I know a distortion pedal and on OD pedal work differently but whats the difference in sound?
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
So if I wanted an OD pedal would a tube screamer take me to metal territory or would I be better suited with an OD pedal with a boost built in from MXR?
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
od
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
Quote by shredhead22
od

OD will give me high gain?
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
I was taking a look at the EH Metal Muff with Top Boost and the Boss ML-2 Metal Core ( I wont be using it for metalcore ever :P) pedals. Would these give me the distortion im after while preserving my Mesa Express's tone? On a side note people who buy distortion pedals for their Line 6 Spider III's and Peavey 6505's make me very afraid.
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Quote by mootlechan
hi gain?

like recto gain, then no.

If blended with the amps overdrive channel then it will have more than recto gain. The texture will be different, but it will have 110% the saturation of a recto.

and as everyone else stated... F series dominates amps under $1000, except like a used HD-147.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
I think with an OD over the gain channel on the amp it should easily be able to get a high gain tone. Putting a distortion on it would kill the tone.

Maybe try a Visual Sounds Jekyll and Hyde?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
I think with an OD over the gain channel on the amp it should easily be able to get a high gain tone. Putting a distortion on it would kill the tone.

Maybe try a Visual Sounds Jekyll and Hyde?

Ah I see so boosting my burn channel with an OD pedal will give me the thud I'm looking for? Is the Boss SD-1 any good? I wanna be able to get some good scooped mids sounds as well so this might do the trick.
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Quote by Slanderous666
... I wanna be able to get some good scooped mids sounds as well ...

i think there in lies your problem. at least on my Mesa (50 cal+), scooped mids make the gain texture sound thin and empty. dialing up the mid knob brings back the fullness and growl.
^ Exaclty scooping your mids will make you get lost in the mix as well as make your amp sound thin and fizzy, people get away with relaxing "not scooping" their mids to get that effect, that would be like have your mids at 11:00 and your highs and lows at 1:00.
Quote by sethp
i think there in lies your problem. at least on my Mesa (50 cal+), scooped mids make the gain texture sound thin and empty. dialing up the mid knob brings back the fullness and growl.

Its a fight to EQ my amp for metal as well, I agree. Wishing I had waited for the F-30 but anyways matrixclaw was right :P
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni