well im looking for a sizeable amp like a loud half stack to play medium venues like large bars and ****
im a broke ass mother****er most of the time and are looking for a relatively cheap amp that dont always suck
i looked into line 6 amps but the good ones have all the presets and i dont need them cuz i got a tonecore uber metal
im definately not getting a tube amp and i definately wont be buying a marshall or fender amp cuz they are overrated and cost an arm and a leg
thanks for the input!
Budget? Define this metal you play, bands, etc?

Why do you not want a tube amp?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
get a full solid state, NO digital crap.

you can get decent marshalls on ebay fair cheap.

otherwise go get yourself a randall, there cheep stuff is still great!.
*Enter Sig Here*
Quote by MatrixClaw
Budget? Define this metal you play, bands, etc?

Why do you not want a tube amp?

well i play fast most of the time like slayer and stuff
but my favorite band is amon amarth and i play with
swedish metal influences like them in my music

well i dont want tube amps cuz they cost a ****load, and the
amount that i use my amp i would burn out the tubes and they are a
bitch to replace as well
im never buyin any used anythings off of ebay
cant trust that ****in site
and i was thinking that digital wasnt the way to go
Quote by Deth is iminent

bitch to replace as well

If you had the money, most people would probably suggest a Peavey 5150 or 6505 half stack for you.

I guess you could look at Crate or Randall solid state amps.

We cant help you more till you give us a budget/price range
Gear:

07 Gibson LP Vintage Mahogany
90-91 Fender MIJ '62 Reissue Strat
Fender Acoustic/Electric
Marshall TSL601 Combo
Crybaby Wah
Ibanez TS-9
Boss Tu-2
look at ebay stuff, like, within a few K's from where you live, so you can do stuff in person.

but the big sellers on ebay are usually fine, cheap randall stuff on there (new)
*Enter Sig Here*
Quote by Deth is iminent

bitch to replace as well

Tubes dont actually burn out all that quickly in my experience. I bought my tube amp used about a year ago and use it for a few hours almost every day and its still truckin.
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
Ibanez S470 DXQM
Boss DD-6
Dunlop Original Crybaby
Quote by moulpatr
Tubes dont actually burn out all that quickly in my experience. I bought my tube amp used about a year ago and use it for a few hours almost every day and its still truckin.

well my budget will prolly be up to 500-600 dollars
and i play for about 5-12 hours a day depending on my free time
cuz my fionce deserves my lovin to
Yeah I would get a crate a friend of mine plays arch enemy, corpse etc on his crate halfstack
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Quote by Deth is iminent
well my budget will prolly be up to 500-600 dollars
and i play for about 5-12 hours a day depending on my free time
cuz my fionce deserves my lovin to

ohh ok now i gotcha. yea unless you're going used you'd probably be better off finding an SS amp with that budget.
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
Ibanez S470 DXQM
Boss DD-6
Dunlop Original Crybaby
Quote by Lethal Dosage
Yeah I would get a crate a friend of mine plays arch enemy, corpse etc on his crate halfstack

cool i looked at a few and they seemed like they would be good

i would just try out some amps but the only music store in town is run by an ass and only lets people with money touch **** so yeah
and i know metalheads on ug know what they are talking about most of the time
Quote by moulpatr
ohh ok now i gotcha. yea unless you're going used you'd probably be better off finding an SS amp with that budget.

SS= solid state?
Don't buy a Crate, their SS amps are horrible sounding. They might have enough gain but sound like ****.

If you must go SS, buy a Randall or a Line 6 Flextone.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
tubes do not burn out as frequently as you might think. Unless you gig and crank the amp to 10 evey night for a few hours you can get a pretty good life out of your tubes. I would look into getting an epiphone valve junior. It cost 299 brand new out of the box. with the pedal that you have it would make the perfect tone your looking for. you probably would only have to replace the power tubes once a year, maybee twice if you push it. the preamp tubes lastlike 3+ years. so to just replace both el84 power tubes it will set you back 19 dollars for a set of groove tubes. I owned so many solid state amps marshall, randall, crate and payed well over 400 dollars for some. Then i saw this thing used sitting at a local guitar shop for 200 bucks, i took i home and was so amazed by how much different a tube amp makes that i feel i have to reach out to people and get them away from that solid state crap. it is 15 watts but a tube amp amp at 15 watts is probably just as loud as a 50 watt solid state amp. If you really want to get some balls and get fancy with your amp, I would go for a new or used b52 amp. but hey if ss is what you prefer, go for it :p
Amps:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
Epiphone Valve Standard
Epiphone Valve Junior
B-52 st-100
Guitars:
Greco 1980 LP black beauty 3 pickup, emg 81TW, 81, 85
Univox les paul
Custom Stratocaster replica, emg 81 and 2 emg SA
Johnson Stratocaster
Last edited by RyanDamo at Jul 20, 2008,
Where are you buying Valve Juniors? The head costs $130 new.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Don't buy a Crate, their SS amps are horrible sounding. They might have enough gain but sound like ****.

If you must go SS, buy a Randall or a Line 6 Flextone.

yeah i had the chance to play line 6 equipment and i enjoyed the feel of it
they sounded pretty awesome and they didnt seem to be made like **** either
Quote by RyanDamo
tubes do not burn out as frequently as you might think. Unless you gig and crank the amp to 10 evey night for a few hours you can get a pretty good life out of your tubes. I would look into getting an epiphone valve junior. It cost 299 brand new out of the box. with the pedal that you have it would make the perfect tone your looking for. you probably would only have to replace the power tubes once a year, maybee twice if you push it. the preamp tubes lastlike 3+ years. so to just replace both el84 power tubes it will set you back 19 dollars for a set of groove tubes. I owned so many solid state amps marshall, randall, crate and payed well over 400 dollars for some. Then i saw this thing used sitting at a local guitar shop for 200 bucks, i took i home and was so amazed by how much different a tube amp makes that i feel i have to reach out to people and get them away from that solid state crap. but hey if its what you prefer, go for it :p

well actually thats what this is for, gigging and its up to ten (not eleven, thats cliche)
most of the time
im tryin to get it as soon as possible to get ready to gig cuz hemlock said they would play a show with my band whenever they were in my town
thanx i think i will look into tube amps then
The higher-end Line 6 stuff is great, it's the Spiders that sound like complete crap.

Flextones are great amps, very versatile and can get pretty heavy.

I really think you should take a second look at tube amps though. A used Peavey 5150 combo will be in your price range and is a VERY heavy sounding amp. 60W tube is PLENTY loud enough for a gig, if you have to turn that thing up anywhere close to 10, there's something seriously wrong. 60W tube is LOUD.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
yeah thats what i played on the spider series, they sounded alright but when i plugged into that monster that was in the back it tore out the shop, i played on a lower power tube version of the same amp and it was louder
yeah ill look into the tubes and maybe even used stuff (but i better try it first)
thanx again for all your input
what about behringer amps?
my buddy has some and he says they sound okay
Behringer amps are horrible, stay away at all costs haha.

Well, Bugeras are actually copies of the Peaveys and are in your price range I believe. They're made by Behringer, but aren't the same p.o.s. amps. Built quite poorly, but for the price they sound great. Better than anything else in the price range new.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Behringer amps are horrible, stay away at all costs haha.

Well, Bugeras are actually copies of the Peaveys and are in your price range I believe. They're made by Behringer, but aren't the same p.o.s. amps. Built quite poorly, but for the price they sound great. Better than anything else in the price range new.

ah thanx for the warning
and bugera is its own company and endorsed by behringer i think
im not very experianced with large equipment as you can tell
but from what im gathering to get the metal tone i desire a tube amp, used im assuming for my budget seems to be the way to go correct
Bugeras kick ass man!
It'll have enough distortion for any modern metal band. Reliability is the only factor but every amp has problems, just got to hope you get a good one :S.
A used 5150/6505 combo would be PERFECT for you if you can find one for under $600 which I'm pretty sure you'd be able to. Also look into Krank Rev Jr's I bought one just recently and am really happy with it even though it is completly stock and has no pedals running into it.
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
Quote by howey
Bugeras kick ass man!
It'll have enough distortion for any modern metal band. Reliability is the only factor but every amp has problems, just got to hope you get a good one :S.
A used 5150/6505 combo would be PERFECT for you if you can find one for under $600 which I'm pretty sure you'd be able to. Also look into Krank Rev Jr's I bought one just recently and am really happy with it even though it is completly stock and has no pedals running into it.

ive been told bugeras are better than the behringers that hold them up
as for krank, ive never even had the chance to see one in person let alone play one so ill have too look into it