Page 1 of 2
If the idea of a long read disturbs and/or confuses you, skip to the last paragraph, although you'll be missing part of the discussion if you don't understand what I'm talking about in full.

Last weekend, my brother, a friend, and yours truly took a little trip down to the local cinema for the purpose of viewing the new Will Smith film Hancock. We got our snacks at the concession stand and walked into the room housing Screen 4, on which we would be viewing said film. We walked a little over halfway up the stairs and got comfortably seated in the middle of the row. We chatted for roughly ten minutes before the theatrical trailers preceding the feature presentation began.

Among these was a new film. A comedy, specifically, making a parody of several movies that had only been released two months ago at the longest and a couple that, at the time of the film's production, had not even been released yet. I was baffled to see the brand, spanking new "Disaster Movie" displayed before me, molesting my eyes and ears. As I watched a man in a plastic Iron Man suit get crushed by a cow falling victim to gravity I wondered why the people around me in the theater were starting to chuckle; and as I watched a man dressed as Sarah Jessica Parker from the hit HBO series Sex and the City get kicked in the face by a baby's foot, I was dumbfounded by the laughter being ejaculated from the mouths of the people around me.

Then, in that moment, as I wished I was from a country that did not support or encourage such brainrot and "humor" that is, at best, puerile in the strongest and most negative sense of the word, it suddenly occurred to me that there may be a very valid reason why so many foreigners believe that American people are all incredibly stupid: They see our movies. Having heard the laughter from my fellow movie-goers at the onscreen putrescence raping all senses of mine to which it had access, I was inclined to understand how someone could see such garbage and instantly believe that its country of origin was populated by driveling pukes.

My questions are posed to foreigners and fellow Americans. For those of you fortunate enough to live elsewhere in the world, does the brainless media that pours out of this country influence your opinion of it, and in what way? For those of you living here, do you support such works of genius as Meet the Spartans and Disaster Movie? If so, why? What about these films do you find amusing?
Maddox did an article on these films, worth the read. And I agree.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
It sounds like a Wayans Bros. movie,,, and that is where the real disaster lies.
Nice av by the way,,, I should start playing Chrono Trigger again,,,, or finish Chrono Cross.
Yeah, that crap is made for complete idiots.

Meet the Spartans got reviews calling it pretty much the worst movie ever.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Meet The Spartans was horrible, what's sad is that was where I met my current gf. I agree that most of America's "comedies" are mindless and pointless.
Quote by SG thrasher
Bums to the ground when rilakam's around.
I saw the trailer for that when I went to see Hellboy the other day. Why the creators are still allowed to make those kinds of films is beyond me. And apparently there's going to be a sequel to Superhero Movie. I'm so glad I don't watch those pieces of shit.
Loyal Member of the "Pluto Memorial Club." PM Dæmönika
Member 20 of the Steve Irwin Memorial Club, pm Clincher09
Member 4 of UG's Anti-Hunting League - PM Holy Katana
Heretic And Killer, P.M guitar_man_guy or T0xicitY
It scares me too. I hate it that anyone outside the U.S. (or inside) might see one of these gems and think that it represents the best we have to offer for comedy.
Miss Scourge? PM me.

I am the mistress of ManWithoutAHat . This pleases me.
Quote by SpelChek
Is that copypasta or are you just trying to sound pretentious OP?

I'm assuming you're talking to me because I have no idea what OP stands for. No, it's not something I copied and pasted. I wrote it myself. Yes, I was trying to sound pretentious for the purpose of keeping it interesting. There's some stuff that just wouldn't be as interesting if it was written in a regular manner of speech. Long, drawn out deliveries such as mine would be miserable to read if they were written as though they were being spoken in everyday talk. It's also more fun to write that way.

Now, would you kindly address the topic at discussion? Or are you the tl;dr type?
Quote by madbasslover
I'm assuming you're talking to me because I have no idea what OP stands for. No, it's not something I copied and pasted. I wrote it myself. Yes, I was trying to sound pretentious for the purpose of keeping it interesting. There's some stuff that just wouldn't be as interesting if it was written in a regular manner of speech. Long, drawn out deliveries such as mine would be miserable to read if they were written as though they were being spoken in everyday talk. It's also more fun to write that way.

Now, would you kindly address the topic at discussion? Or are you the tl;dr type?

that's the best defense for writing pretentiously that i've ever heard. It DOES make the article more enjoyable to read, and it IS fun to write that way.
Quote by rokket2005
It sounds like a Wayans Bros. movie,,, and that is where the real disaster lies.
Nice av by the way,,, I should start playing Chrono Trigger again,,,, or finish Chrono Cross.

Holy crap, I forot all about Chrono Trigger.

I still haven't killed Lavos . I'm stuck about four rooms into the Black Omen.

brb levelling up

Also, in regard to the OP, I would say it's based more on the fact that we see the worst of your population on our media. It's mainly for the lulz as well, but once everyone tries to get the same reaction, people immediately think they're all like that (i.e. The Simpsons episode about Australia [or should I say "Orstraylierrr"]).
Wow, I just looked up the trailer on youtube...poor Juno...

It could be worse. They COULD have made fun of Dark Knight and made a Heath Ledger joke.
Gear
Schecter C-1 Artist
Vox AD15VT
Epiphone EJ-200 Acoustic
Well yeah, stupid people need stupid humor. But I just like stuff like that because they are so stupid that they, in fact, pass the point of retardedness where it becomes funny again, if in an embarrassing way.

You said ejaculated
Sorry...
Call me Jeff if you want, I prefer that.
Quote by xXmasqueradeXx
You said ejaculated
Sorry...

Well, at least you made it that far.

EDIT:
Quote by XianXiuHong
Go watch Idiocracy

Ass, and that's all it was, for 90 minutes.

Carl's Jr: Fuck you, I'm eating!

I love that movie.
Last edited by madbasslover at Jul 20, 2008,
I'm American and I absolutely loathe those kinds of movies. I saw Scary Movie eight years ago, and knew I'd never watch a film like that ever again.
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
People living in other countries (especially those who have never made a trip to America) indeed have trouble believing that intelligent life exists in America after having seen some of those movies. Unfortunately, when it comes to those type of comedies they at least know that they are unrealistic, but when you get the 19283471290847128934 movies made about highschool and all of the drama/relationships/parties that supposedly occur there, people around the world believe that life in America is somewhat of a cross between American Pie and Dawson's Creek. Leaning more towards Dallas (the soap opera) if you are from Texas and more towards Sex and the City if you live in the NYC.

I have lived in Spain and in America, and some of the questions I have been asked about the USA whilst living in Spain would make you cringe. (Of course, that also holds true in the vice-versa situation)
At least the original Scary Movie was original, and made fun of a real genre of movie well. It got worse and worse as it went on...It was idiotic, but at least original.

All these other things are really struggling. Date move, Superhero movie, Disaster movie??? Is that even a genre of movies? They're all awful, obviously.
It's true, America is a blight on this earth.

What did you want to here? No but really, I don't think America's people are intrinsically worse than anywhere else.. but you're blighted by a commercially succsesful entertainment industry. People buy it, so it gets made.

That said, the people in our countries lap it up as well, so who's to blame?

But yes, all those awful films are popular here too.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Last edited by meh! at Jul 20, 2008,
Quote by Jersey_Zombie

It could be worse. They COULD have made fun of Dark Knight and made a Heath Ledger joke.

It's gonna happen
UG's Batman

NOW WITHOUT CHRISTIAN BALE'S "GRUFF" LISPY VOICE!

Batman doesn't need Christmas to wear his Santa hat.
i think it is possible for foreigners to believe americans are stupid for such movies, but it is not the film makers who are the stupid ones. as you said, there were people in the theatre laughing, and those are the people who keep seeing those movies, feeding money into that machine. the true stupidity comes from those people.
Living is easy with eyes closed...
--------------------------

Quote by GnR_ROK
I'm surprised you returned to this thread after cheeseman owned you.
Quote by rcazzy
It's gonna happen

Fingers crossed that it's at least in good taste ://

But yeah a lot of films like that seem to be shoved out of America too often, these 'comedies' which fail to make me laugh at least. I don't think I could even stand to watch it, so I shan't try.
Quote by SteveHouse
Also you're off topic. This thread is about Reva eating snowmen.
those movies suck, first of all, and they are making decent money, which pisses me off.

then shows like arrested development can't even stay on air even though it's ****ing genius.

oh, america, how stupid is your average citizen?
American movies are half bull****, **** the media too.

I love America for its countless goodsides, but God do they have a lot to delete
Your dreams are all out of focus;
Knock you up when you're feeling down.
And all the world feels so unreal...

COLORFUL COLORS
Quote by ishmonkey
Hitler was really smart and could have been a good leader but he was kind of a douche to the Jews.
On the plus side, America has brought us the likes of Friends, The Simpsons, Futurama, Family Guy, House (even if Hugh Laurie IS British), Grey's Anatomy, CSI, Dexter etc
Quote by SteveHouse
Also you're off topic. This thread is about Reva eating snowmen.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
On the plus side, America has brought us the likes of Friends, The Simpsons, Futurama, Family Guy, House (even if Hugh Laurie IS British), Grey's Anatomy, CSI, Dexter etc

Southpark, miss Reva?
Eh.

I live in the US, and some people I know think they're funny. Some don't. Then again, I'm in Highschool, and (mostly) we all know how that can go.

I guess it's the thought of seeing something that you know normally wouldn't/can't happen to the things/people portrayed in those films. In an actual movie you're not going to see Scream getting baked with a bunch of guys then use a fishtank as a bong of sorts.

For the love of god someone better get that reference...

EDIT: To the guy above me, South Park isn't really a milestone in television. A bunch of assholes created the show (they really do come off as jerks), and they just put some lame plot in surrounded by uneeded swearing to make it 'funny'. That's not funny. That's one of the reasons you hear fourth graders calling each other Pig-Fuckers.
When you saw me sleeping
thought I was dreaming
of you...

I didn't tell you
That the only dream
Is Valium for me
Last edited by Td_Nights at Jul 20, 2008,
Quote by Old Vendetta\m/
Meet the Spartans was the stupidest piece of **** i ever spent my money on. Seriously.

this.
Quote by gu1t4rh3r0
One of my friends said to the principle once,
"NO! The voices tell me not to talk to you!" *Runs away on all fours*
The principle eventually caught up to him and gave him a drug test.
Quote by Td_Nights
South Park isn't really a milestone in television. A bunch of assholes created the show (they really do come off as jerks), and they just put some lame plot in surrounded by uneeded swearing to make it 'funny'. That's not funny. That's one of the reasons you hear fourth graders calling each other Pig-Fuckers.

Actually, when you look beyond all the swearing, it's fairly intelligent humor. The show is a satire of people's attitudes, actions, cultures, etc. Just because most people who watch it don't see anything funny beyond a Jewish kid calling another a fatass shortly before a kid in an orange sweater gets killed out of the blue doesn't change the fact that more often than not there's an intelligent idea behind the show.
Quote by Td_Nights
Eh.

EDIT: To the guy above me, South Park isn't really a milestone in television. A bunch of assholes created the show (they really do come off as jerks), and they just put some lame plot in surrounded by uneeded swearing to make it 'funny'. That's not funny. That's one of the reasons you hear fourth graders calling each other Pig-Fuckers.

Are you kidding? Southpark is the best thing to come out of television in decades.
Their social commentary is brutal and, lets face it, most of the time, accurate.And they are unbiased. They make fun of everyone without regard or pity/mercy.
I don't think young children should watch it, however, but that is something left up to the parents.

Southpark is better than 95% of all other televisions to come out in years.
Quote by madbasslover
Actually, when you look beyond all the swearing, it's fairly intelligent humor. The show is a satire of people's attitudes, actions, cultures, etc. Just because most people who watch it don't see anything funny beyond a Jewish kid calling another a fatass shortly before a kid in an orange sweater gets killed out of the blue doesn't change the fact that more often than not there's an intelligent idea behind the show.

I'm fully aware of this, I just don't see why they have to throw everything else in. Albeit that it would be a lot more boring to some people, They could have done it in other ways. I've seen just about every southpark ever made because of friends >_>
When you saw me sleeping
thought I was dreaming
of you...

I didn't tell you
That the only dream
Is Valium for me
Quote by Td_Nights
I'm fully aware of this, I just don't see why they have to throw everything else in. Albeit that it would be a lot more boring to some people, They could have done it in other ways. I've seen just about every southpark ever made because of friends >_>

Well, the creators have to make money. They have to make a show that appeals to multiple audiences. So, dumbasses get swearing children and poop jokes while the rest of us get a sardonic satire of the human race.
Quote by madbasslover
Well, the creators have to make money. They have to make a show that appeals to multiple audiences. So, dumbasses get swearing children and poop jokes while the rest of us get a sardonic satire of the human race.

Fair enough...

*fishes for arguments*

So how `bout them reality shows?
When you saw me sleeping
thought I was dreaming
of you...

I didn't tell you
That the only dream
Is Valium for me
Of course the 'brainless media' emanating from the USA helps people form opinions on the country. Many people have never been to the USA, so we have little else to judge you by, other than what we see represented in the media.

Edit: Of course though, most people are reasonable enough realise that the various media outputs do not, and can not, represent a nation as a whole.
...Bleep Bloop...
Quote by GHJ
Edit: Of course though, most people are reasonable enough realise that the various media outputs do not, and can not, represent a nation as a whole.

Wait...so people in Scotland don't wear kilts and play bagpipes all the time?!
Quote by madbasslover
Wait...so people in Scotland don't wear kilts and play bagpipes all the time?!

Of course not, they are too busy throwing telephone poles around whilst eating haggis and wrestling.
Page 1 of 2